Anxiety Wraps

I did a bit of research on the internet and on this forum about fear of thunder issues, and I found the Thundershirt (in the US) on Google, and I found anxiety wraps mentioned in the forums back in 2008. The 2008 discussion was about if they are effective, etc, but there wasn't many people who had tried them to know. I was wondering if there are now people here who have tried them and found that they have helped their dog with anxiety or fear, particularly of thunder.

Poor Jyra has developed a fear of thunder and is terrified of it now, so I'm looking for solutions, and I know about the desensitisation strategy. She escaped during an unexpected thunderstorm on Wednesday, giving my poor Mum a huge panic and also worrying my Dad and brother. Dad left work straight away and was picturing driving along one of the roads near home and seeing a dead dog. Her breakaway collar came off when she was trying to open the garage door (which she succeeded in doing). Thankfully someone called the council and the ranger picked her up and took her to the shelter, where she arrived when my Mum was on the phone to them, and they scanned her microchip and asked Mum, "Is her name Jyra?". What a relief! I heard all about it after the fact since I am in PNG. It is much better when you know the dog is ok and you don't have the huge dread and panic feeling of a missing dog.

Mum and Dad do their best to keep Jyra inside when they know there is thunder coming, but can't do much when you're not expecting it, other than keeping her inside all the time when you're out and my parents don't want to do that.

Anyway, I'd like to hear thoughts on these Thundershirt type things/anxiety wraps, and any other thoughts would be good too. I think Jyra will not respond to thunder on CDs so the desensitisation might not work that way.

I have an axiety wrap, it's good.

Take a few uses. My only problem is that I didn't want to be putting a wrap on my dog when it was hot and most storms in Sydney are when it's humid.

There is another thunder jacket and it's not tight, it's loose and works by doing something with the energy storms create in the air: http://www.stormdefender.com/

This is the one we have: http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=COz_5YL...CFY0vpAod0kgIYw

Edited by sas

Surely it's worth a try. Linda Tellington-Jones has methods for making your own anxiety wraps using strips of stretchy material or elastic bandages. She encourages you to be creative and wrap in whatever way you think will help your dog, then do it up with safety pins.

i made my own anxiety wrap out of "Tubigrib" - stuff used at hospitals for sprained ankles, just choose the size you want, cut holes in for legs and slide it on.

Worked great and it was free - cause I flogged some from work - he he he

Much cheaper option though