Dogs In Pounds - Statistics

Hi everyone!

I have a friend who is regularly doing a stint in our little community radio station.

To raise awareness he wants to talk about the subject of pounds in NSW, maybe even Australia wide and has asked me if I can find statistics for him about how many dogs get impounded, euthanased, reunited with their owners or rescued through rescue groups every year in NSW, any other state or the whole of Australia. I guess in this kind of a report on the radio the most drastic impression would be the immense number of dogs euthanased.

I have surfed the net a fair bit now but don't seem to be able to find any figures, apart from the statistics of dogs going through the RSPCA. I am aware that there doesn't seem to be compulsory reporting of these figures by the pounds but surely there should be some estimate numbers available somewhere?

Can anyone point me in the right direction where to look?

Thanks!

The NSW Department of Local Government (DLG), who overseas local Gov pounds in NSW, collects stats annually from all of the council impound facilities. These stats will be available from them directly I would think. There is als a group that collates the info from the DLG.... I think their name is the Pet Advisory Group or similar. Google it.

I received an email with a whole bunch of data analysed for Blacktown Pound for 2008/09 -

I have just completed our analysis of the Blacktown Pound Statistics from the DLG 08-09. The figures are for Blacktown Pound (9 Councils inc Blacktown) and For Blacktown Council alone. Despite what they tell you, lots of room for improvement - 3,326 animals killed from Blacktown Council, and 4,494 (inc Blacktown Council) across the 9 Councils, is a lot of animals !!

the info is broken down by number sold, rescued, reclaimed etc etc - very comprehensive - if you want to pm me your email address I can onforward the email and the source.

regards

MM

Hi Stefie

I'm not sure if there is an easier way to find statistics in Victoria. But it is now a requirement by legislation in Victoria that all councils prepare and implement a Domestic Animals Management Plan (DAMP).

Each Victorian council has figures in the DAMP for the year which include number of dogs and cats impounded, returned to owners, euthanised etc.

This is very useful if you want to look at the statistics from council to council.

http://www.mav.asn.au/CA256C2B000B597A/Fra...x?OpenDocument~

The following is a link to a list of all the councils in Victoria. Within each council you would need to search for their DAMP.

Hope this is helpful :(

Thanks heaps for everyone's input! We can certainly work out something with that info.

Some of those figures are downright frightening. :laugh:

They certainly are.

In Victoria, remember that the majority of the pounds send their dogs to either the RSPCA or the Lost Dogs Home who decide the fate of the dogs.

The very interesting thing in the DAMP's I've skimmed through so far is the common theme of increasing the number of animals rehoused and this seems to be a common theme in their action plans.

For those interested, this could be a good thing to point out when you are writing to councils in relation to kill rates and the kill rates of the larger super pounds they send their animals to.

Hi everyone!

I have a friend who is regularly doing a stint in our little community radio station.

To raise awareness he wants to talk about the subject of pounds in NSW, maybe even Australia wide and has asked me if I can find statistics for him about how many dogs get impounded, euthanased, reunited with their owners or rescued through rescue groups every year in NSW, any other state or the whole of Australia.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where to look?

Thanks!

NSW requires councils to publish figures. They are available online.

Here are the figures for Victorian Metro Councils (collated from 2008 DAMP reports).

• 2 years later...

I received an email with a whole bunch of data analysed for Blacktown Pound for 2008/09 -

I have just completed our analysis of the Blacktown Pound Statistics from the DLG 08-09. The figures are for Blacktown Pound (9 Councils inc Blacktown) and For Blacktown Council alone. Despite what they tell you, lots of room for improvement - 3,326 animals killed from Blacktown Council, and 4,494 (inc Blacktown Council) across the 9 Councils, is a lot of animals !!

the info is broken down by number sold, rescued, reclaimed etc etc - very comprehensive - if you want to pm me your email address I can onforward the email and the source.

regards

MM

Hi MM,

Can you advise where I could find the details of Blacktown stats for the last financial year 2010 -2011. I am doing some research into animal deaths in Pounds and would be very grateful for these.

Cheers

Jiggywoo

regards

MM

Hi MM,

Can you advise where I could find the details of Blacktown stats for the last financial year 2010 -2011. I am doing some research into animal deaths in Pounds and would be very grateful for these.

Cheers

Jiggywoo

ooops my email address is [email protected]

cheers

The NSW Department of Local Government (DLG), who overseas local Gov pounds in NSW, collects stats annually from all of the council impound facilities. These stats will be available from them directly I would think. There is als a group that collates the info from the DLG.... I think their name is the Pet Advisory Group or similar. Google it.

Yes in NSW it is compulsory for pounds/shetlers to report to the DLG. They do have some publicly availble on their website otherwise you just email them and they will forward you a spreadsheet with all the information you require. Most years they do alot of statistics themselves and trends, etc. These documents are on there website. If you get stuck just email me ([email protected]). I am doing my honours on cat euthanasia rates in NSW pounds and DLG have been very cooperative!

regards

MM

Hi MM,

Cheers

Jiggywoo

ooops my email address is [email protected]

cheers

You might want to privately msg her since she hasn't been on DOL since May and this thread is 2 years old.