Gold Coast Councillor

TessiesTracey

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html

MUTTS and moggies will be bred out if a breeder licence scheme goes ahead, fears a Gold Coast councillor.

Deputy Mayor Cr Daphne McDonald opposed the requirement for 'mum and dad' pet owners to apply for a permit if they want their dog or cat to have a litter.

"It's another stupid law," Cr McDonald told a council meeting in Evandale this week.

"It's a sad day that we're going to end up with all purebred animals because people aren't going to get a licence to breed animals that are not purebred.

Have your say on the feedback form below

"A lot of people in this room have got half-breeds -- I've got Muffy. I got him from the pound and he's the most lovable animal that you could get."

Cr Chris Robbins asked how the law would be enforced.

"Will they be fined for allowing the male dog to jump over the fence or female dog to jump out?" said Cr Robbins.

Council officers said the council would have to investigate but in a situation like that might take no further action.

They said the permit fee might be introduced 'at a very reasonable rate to begin with' as an incentive.

Cr Jan Grew said pet owners had to 'wake up' and take responsibility for high numbers of unwanted cats and dogs that have to be euthanased.

"We are talking about killing dogs and cats. You stick a needle into it and it dies," said Cr Grew. "If you do not desex your animal and it has a litter that is your fault. You can't blame the dog because it jumped the fence."

Animal management chief Cr Bob La Castra said the permits targeted backyard breeders and aimed to cut the number of homeless unwanted animals.

"You still will be able to get crossbreeds, it's just that you will need a permit," said Cr La Castra. "How are we going to control it? It's not going to be easy but it flags the intent."

The council approved the breeder permit scheme 11 votes to four as part of the Keeping and Control of Animals (Amendment) Subordinate Local Law 2010.

It will go out to public comment and is expected to come into force by April.

Gold Coast Council are very progressive in animal management. Good to see them taking AWL's and other expert advice to try to work out a solution.

Unless you own a restricted breed!... but this is positive talk about stopping all the senseless BYB cats and dogs being euthanased, maybe all dog owners hould be shown videos of all the poor animals in the pound, like teenagers are shown car crashes... i know it doesn't stop them but adults should know better...

I think it's a great idea. They're not saying that you can't have cross breed dogs, just that you need a permit. The number of people I know who get a purebred and who want to have that dog have a litter 'so they don't miss out' or have just one litter, is astonishing. Just up the road there are people who have jack russells who are constantly breeding the pups - just because they can. :)

I know the feeling.. So often I walk past the local bill board and there is a "wanted: male dog for my female" sign.. Of course it either says "want to have a litter to keep a pup when my girl has passed on" or "to make my girl calm down" :)

It makes you wonder why they don't get them desexed to 'calm' them down, and also, how old is the bitch they want to breed with! :(

It does not even address purebreed BYB, its cracked in targeting mutts over others, I know they are trying and will grasp at any straw available in the think tank, but how could it be activly enforced? Most dogs in society arnt registered I dont know how they could force someone to hold a permit when they dont even hold registration in high regard.

I cant see how it could be at all. But what I do see is a mass influx of 'designer breeds' even designer breed registry being set up if they push it.

Edited by GeckoTree

Designer breed registries already exist (at least I think they do, the labradoodle people have one) I don't think this will affect them much.

That labradoodle registry is breeding toward breed recognition. Desgner dogs breeders dont have a registry - what the hell would they register when they only do a first cross with the first dog that comes along as long as its a different breed to the first.

Edited by Steve

I think it's one of the more positive ideas I've seen so far :o

Reading that article, and as little information as it offers- it seems like if someone wants to breed a litter they will actually have to think about it and apply for/obtain the permit, and spend the money to do it. It will take effort :rofl: Not sure how it would be enforceable but the idea, I like :vomit:

If they charge the same fee to register for a litter as the cost of getting a dog sterilized, then some people who say they can't afford to pay for sterilization may be more willing to find the money and pay. I'm sure lots of us have heard that excuse.

Even if it's not enforceable, if on one side responsible breeders (pure or cross bred) are encouraged/mandated to be licensed, and on the other side the buying public are educated that they should expect any responsible breeder to be licensed, it could help reduce the market for and therefore supply of byb puppies. Clearly not a perfect solution, but could definitely be a positive step, I think.