Vet Told Me To Switch From Barf

When told that Jasmine eats a BARF diet, the vet gave me a lecture about how nutritionally sound tinned food was these days, Pal being the best. He said that it contained all the nutrients like phospherus etc that a growing puppy needs.

Both Jas and I are happy with her diet (although the eating fur thing needs adjustment!).

She is currently 16 weeks old and weighs in at 16.4 kgs. The vet said her weight was fine although could use an extra kilo.

What are others' thoughts on this?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, if my dog was constipated I would feed him Pal for a day and let nature take its course --- then I would have to hose the lawn down because you cannot pick up the result in a bag.

If my dog did show excessive straining I would lessen the amount of bones he was getting and increase fruit.

I'd be worried about your vet recommending Pal... if vets recommend any commercial food it's usually the ones they stock

Hi Divine Angel. :(

Certainly advice that you get from a Vet. which causes you to question it is going to create a quandary.

Maybe you could get a second opinion; from another Vet. or two!

I have heard that long term use of processed foods have been found to cause health problems.

And I have the same concerns.

:(

Edited by pewithers

My parents took me to the Dr's as a child reguarding my poor diet. Very fussy eater who happened only to eat maccas.

WELL this DR in all his wisdon expressed what a good round meal Mc Donalds is after all you get your wheat, meat, vegetables & dairy all in one meal :(

I wish I remembered the exact name of this doctor now because he would be handing over alot of $$ to a now obese adult. Ridiculous indeed!

Jadey :(

Hi taintz. :eek:

The professionals can be part of the problem sometimes. :cry:

I think that is what Divine Angel was saying.

Which is why we always have to be so sceptical.

Personally I loathe it. You can't trust anybody. It's a right royal pain in my cyberspace. :(

If my dog did show excessive straining I would lessen the amount of bones he was getting and increase fruit.

I'd be worried about your vet recommending Pal... if vets recommend any commercial food it's usually the ones they stock

What kind of fruit?

The vet didn't stock Pal (unless its on their website) but they did have Eukanuba and another brand in a white packet that I've never heard of.

The symptoms of the constipation: she was trying to go but nothing was coming out. She would move from place to place in the yard and try again. She wasn't yelping or in too much discomfort- she was still eating and drinking although she was restless when trying to lie down.

My main concern was that she wasn't passing anything although she had been trying for 15 hours.

I'd up her meat component without the bones and add a bit of oil to her diet as well to keep them nice and soft with some of her veg.

She can actually do a lot of damage to herself if she is continually straining.

Good luck and I hope that you have no further occurences.

Did you ask the Vet if he/she has shares in Pedigree Pal?

I agree 100% with Wylie's advice. A tin of Sardines in vegetable oil, good quality coldpressed olive oil or my favourite coldpressed flaxseed oil ( from health food shops)

If it was my dog, I 'd probably cut down the food intake for a while , so as to not block her up anymore than necessary. ....not stop feeding of course just cut down , maybe by a 1/3?

Hey Divine Angel. :(

I would investigate, or would like to know, if a milk diet would be appropriate.

I know that milk is not recommended to people with diarrhoea.

The correct toilet habits are crucial at this stage in a pups life because their digestive, excretion and urinary systems are still developing and can be damaged too easily.

I think we need to come up with a satisfactory solution.

I'm wondering also, did the vet suggest anything aother than Pal? When to bring her back if there's no great improve? What to look for ?( well I spose we know that :( )

At what stage you might consider suppositries? can't spell it? Why isn't there a spell check here? :(

pewithers is right. How long has it been now? What about puppy milk?

I have encountered similar advice from the vet recently which got me thinking that the dog food reps. must have been doing the rounds with the hard sell recently!

Advice along the lines of "quality dogfood is a balanced diet for your dog and you do not need to supplement". I would generally agree but they don't think to tell you what happens when your dog won't eat the dogfood and is in need of calcium supplementation eg. after whelping.

This kind of half advice is positively dangerous in my opinion as many pet owners would not know what to do when faced with a dog with say early eclampsia.