Behaviour Issue

Hi All, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem - my BC has developed an obsession with chasing his reflection... initially in the glass of the sliding doors of our deck, but lately it has expanded to chasing himself in his reflection off the side of the car. Last night I caught him glancing at himself in the reflective part of the narrow frame around our flat screen tv!!!

Was a bit concerned that it might have been out of boredom... he is a BC after all... but we walk and/or jog with him every day, if he isn't at work with my partner all day.... and even when we have been up to the family farm for the weekend, and he's been running around the paddocks flat out for two days.... he still does it when he gets home, even though he is buggered. He gets plenty of love and attention, has plenty of toys and gets exercised every day.

We have tried to cover the glass at his level with mesh - doesn't work as he can see through it - have also tried covering it completely, and he just finds somewhere else to see himself (like the car)...

Aside from thinking my boy is just extremely vain :vomit: ... is this some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder? He isn't just staring at himself, its like he is challenging or chasing his own reflection. He even does it when he has friends over (other dogs he knows). Its almost like, when he gets excited, he goes to chase himself. Its a bit weird.

What can we do? We currently just tell him off when we catch him doing it, a sharp "no!", and he'll slink away from whatever reflective surface he's messing with, but he soon goes back, especially when he thinks we aren't watching. :o Any advice??

With this sort of case, because it has the potential to get quite serious, I would suggest you see a veterinary behaviourist.

Certainly limiting his access to reflections is a good idea. Walking and jogging are excellent activities and I'm sure he does come back from the farm physically tired, but dogs also need mental exercise, problem solving work. Being a BC herding is the obvious choice, but you can look at almost anything, agility, tracking etc

Yep - agree with Aidan - it could easily become obsessive - BCs are like that. I would be interrupting and re-directing - maybe onto a little bit of training - even if it's a bit of target training or trick teaching - or line-up at your side (both sides) - all good for agility. IMHO, it is probably as important to keep a Border Collie's mind occupied as it is to do physical exercise with them.

I'd probably also be encouraging him to go to a mat/crate to chill - gives you another alternative when you interrupt the chasing behavioiur. Rewarding that with something really yummy like a bone would help.

It's probably something that's going to be a work in progress, but it's well worth starting work on it now.

Yes, we try to interrupt him whenever we catch him doing it, and either direct him to his mat or to do something else. I think we will just step up his training.... we've exhausted the tricks training - he picks things up so easily - but I think we need to really step up the basic agility training. I will admit that we have been a bit lax with this of late. So clearly we are neglecting our boys mental training, and its time to focus back on that.

Might use the reward idea for redirecting - as in, if he discontinues the chasing when called on it, we'll give him a reward.

Thanks so much for the tips.

I agree with Aiden - definately see a veterinary behaviourist.

We had a case exactly the same as this at the dog school I used to work for and after trying everything that has been suggested they had to consult a veterinary behaviourist. It already sounds like it is becoming an obsessive compulsive behaviour for your BC and to fix this you may need to do more than just re-direct it and step up the training.

If you get the necessary help now you may just be able to solve this problem behaviour before it becomes too serious.

He has a lot of drive. Was he from a farm/working dogs originally? Sounds like you need to stimulate his brain a lot more, get some interactive toys for him and block access to reflections. If there is herding clubs as well take him! He sounds very intelligent, and running around will not compensate for doing metal activity particularly in a dog made to work sheep for quite a few hours of the day.

Quick update - I have been stepping up his basic agility training this week (circle work, left and right heeling, touches etc etc)and is seems to be making a difference. Still giving him his standard daily dash around the neighbourhood, but it seems that the additional training is focusing his mind away from the windows and back to task.

I have seen him go to his reflection only once or twice this week (he only seems to do it when someone is around to see him) and both times he seems to have thought better of it, and changed his mind.

Also have found an Agility/Obedience club locally that I am going to take him down to this weekend - so we'll see if the mental tasks from this halp also.

Nekhbet - he is from a line of excellent sporting BC's. I have been getting him into basic agility for this reason, only slowly as he is still quite young. We have tried to cover the reflections but we can't cover everything, so that isn't a solution for us. He has plenty of toys, of all types but he prefers interaction with people over toys - he gets bored with them quite quickly.. unless of course that toy is a big juicy bone :)

:rolleyes: "Bless em" is right. I absolutely love him to death, even when he's being a pain in the butt and displaying bad habits! But the truth is, with persistance on my part, I know I can train him out of this. He is such a smart dog. I just have to lift my game!

:rolleyes: "Bless em" is right. I absolutely love him to death, even when he's being a pain in the butt and displaying bad habits! But the truth is, with persistance on my part, I know I can train him out of this. He is such a smart dog. I just have to lift my game!

Persephone - thanks for the link. Checking it out now!

Vet Behaviourist???? What the hell for??? They will put him on calming drugs and then give you the exact same advice as most here have already. :rolleyes:

He's a dog that's bred to work and is simply not getting enough of it. Busy-minded and lots of drive as Nekhbet said. Find a good herding clinic/school/club and see the difference. :rofl:

ETA..in the words of Paul McPhail "you should always give a busy dog too much to do"...gotta love those herding breeds hey!

Edited by Kelpie-i

Vet Behaviourist???? What the hell for???

I was thinking the same thing. I would be speaking to his breeder, they should have good advice for you re engaging his mind.

He's a dog that's bred to work and is simply not getting enough of it. Busy-minded and lots of drive as Nekhbet said. Find a good herding clinic/school/club and see the difference. :rolleyes:

With all due respect, I disagree. While there is no harm in seeing if he will work, Sporting bred BC's are rarely bred to work (livestock). IMO, far better engaging his mind in something far more accessible to the average owner, like agility or tricks etc. It is always more rewarding for dog & owner to choose an activity they are likely to have some success in.

I read bred to "work" as though bred to do tasks requiring mental and also some physical activity not necessary bred to do stock work. So keep him engaged in lots of structured or even loosely structured activities i.e. obedience/agility/tracking/tricks.

Feel free to disagree Vicki :rolleyes: The OP is already doing agility and tricks with the dog. The fact of the matter is, this particular dog is not getting enough mental stimulation and is seeking his own alternatives. We can't be sure this dog is 'sporting' bred and if he's come from a farm, chances are he's working bred. Dog sports are great, but they do not replace the type of mental stimulation and physical challenges provided by work.

Due to their instincts, obsessive disorders are prevalent in most herding dogs (not breed specific), albeit they manifest themselves in different ways. Some become ball/fetch obsessed, others chase butterlies/birds and others chase shadows - the key behaviour is a strong instinct to 'chase'. These are not behavioural issues as such, but more the result of boredom and lack of mental stimulation in an intuitive dog that can easily be channelled into something more appropriate.

Nothing wrong with giving herding a go but yes I agree...sheep herding can be difficult to access depending on where you live.

Edited by Kelpie-i

The OP is already doing agility and tricks with the dog. The fact of the matter is, this particular dog is not getting enough mental stimulation and is seeking his own alternatives. We can't be sure this dog is 'sporting' bred

sounds like she has recognised that the limited stimulation she has given him is not enough. see below.

...but I think we need to really step up the basic agility training. I will admit that we have been a bit lax with this of late. So clearly we are neglecting our boys mental training, and its time to focus back on that.
Quick update - I have been stepping up his basic agility training this week (circle work, left and right heeling, touches etc etc)and is seems to be making a difference. Still giving him his standard daily dash around the neighbourhood, but it seems that the additional training is focusing his mind away from the windows and back to task.

Nekhbet - he is from a line of excellent sporting BC's. I have been getting him into basic agility for this reason, only slowly as he is still quite young.