Can Vaccinated Dogs Get Parvo?

Azzachazza

They sure can know of lots of dogs that have had all there vac's and still come down with it. Vet has said it just means that they may not get it as bad and getting a yearly vaccine does not increase the protectection.

oh ok. The thing is been keeping Nala away from my GFs house for a while. They have bleached their street and yard. But cant be too safe i suppose. Besides im being so safe with the GFs place yet i still take Nala to the dog park. You can never totally prevent exposure i suppose... :laugh:

Dogs can have it and be non-symptomatic also - but they will shed it in their droppings...

Evil disease!

T.

I researched parvo in a couple of current (at the time) vet. medicine books. They both stated, from studies done, that dogs incubating parvo, those with it, and recovered dogs were contagious.

According to that, there are no "asymptomatic" dogs. However, when they are inclubating parvo, there often aren't any synptome, which is why it is such a worry. Dog wanders about, looking great, shedding the virus as he goes. A few days later, he is sick. Where has he been? No idea. That's why it's good to keep dogs and particularly pups which are a bit flat or off colour out of public places, in case they are incubating parvo.

Same thing applies to recovered dogs. They shed the virus for 14 days. And shouldn't go anywhere in that time, or mix with other dogs.

I did this research about 7 or 8 years ago, and I did it thoroughly.

What I am wondering is if the information re asymptomatic dogs shedding the virus came from a proper veterinary study, or a reference book, or it was information off the net? Some of which is not correct. I checked some websites, and they do not correlate with the research I read.

So, of anyone has a reference, can they put it up please? Id like to be up on what the go is now, if it has changed.

And - recovered dogs shed the virus for 14 days.

I recently did my assignment on parvo -

a dog can still catch it the vaccine is like the flu vacc and canine cough - there are many strains and the vacc covers the worst and most common strains but not all

its shed via dropping for up to month

can live on surfaces - such as soils and backyards for over a yr one study suggested over 3 yrs is possible in the right conditions.

it is fairly rare to catch for a vaccinated dog though.

ETA: sorry Jed i dont have my references anymore i handed in the assignment and all research and what not is with the teacher now :laugh:

but what u have about symptomatic and what not is correct they are contagious and should be kept away from public areas - especially away fro pups

Edited by kirst_goldens

Jed - my vet advised me that a dog may be asymptomatic but still be carrying the virus. When I had a pup come down with Parvo some years ago, one of my adult dogs "helped" clean up the pup's messes. My vet advised that I needed to get all of my adult dogs revaccinated and keep them in quarantine (ie not leave my property) for at least a month after the vaccs. The vet was concerned that the dog that ate the infected poops may actually have the disease, but not be showing any signs of it - she never had any symptoms - and the vet came to my house to do the vaccinations.

T.

My two gorgeous pups died at 6 months old after having 2 vaccinations for parvo.

They were vaccinated at 8 and 12 weeks.

If it is in your area I would not be leaving the house with my dogs. After seeing what it did to my two I would NEVER want to risk the lives of my new dogs. JMO.

When my two passed I did so much research my head nearly blew off.