Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Just got back from agility training with Banjo. He learnt the chute tonight :) . The only problem he's having is with the broad jump, he steps on it, so we only use one bit of the broad either side of a single jump and he does that fine, so I guess it'll just come with time learning to jump the spread of the broad. He cracked me up, I had yummo treats in my pockets so he didn't want to play with his tug but while we were running the tug fell out of my pocket which I didn't notice I just saw him taking off and next thing he's running back with his tug, it was so cute everyone was clapping :vomit: .

Edited by Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Kelpiekaye, I want to prove beags can do it just as well as other breeds and we definitely had some jaws on the ground last night :)

Go on RS... Beagles are way better than Aussies :cheers:

Beagle was going to be either #3 or #4. There is no question about me owning one, it's just a matter of when :cheer: And if Mr Council man will let me...

Go on... if it's not for another 12-18 months we could get one from the same litter :cheer:

:vomit: It will probably be longer than that for me, more like 3-5 years :cheers: So anything could happen between then and now! I could still get an Aussie, or I could go back to the Beagle, OR, I could get another Lab if I ever figure out this retrieving thing with Ruby :grouphug: I love my yellow labs :grouphug:

Lincoln and Trixie are still puppies. Wait until there all grown up then you'll want another baby :vomit: .

Trixie's not a puppy, she's 11 months old now :cheer:

I know I like puppies, and I do secretly look at puppy listings regularly :grouphug: But the reality is my two are already pretty close together in age (just over 2 years) and both are breeds that regularly last 12 - 15 years so it will probably be a long time before there is a third (5-10 years), and I would hope to be on a big block of land by then. And puppies are bl##dy hard work, I'm still recovering from the sleep I lost with Trixie :cheers:

Maye if I didn't have to work, such an inconvenience :):grouphug:

If I could own a large property, and not have to work, I'd have lots of dogs :cheers: I'd even throw in my English Setter and just let it be my big lap dog :cheer:

Well I'll be in Bunbury and don't mind travelling for a good club , Does any one know anything about the Bunbury obedience club and do they have many members trialling ? I use a slip collar and positive reinforcement , toys treats etc so the club would need to allow these , and i like to have a bit of freedom with my training . I suppose I'm looking for a club where theres a lot of trialing experience and support and no nastiness :)

The bolded bit, I don't think you'll have any problems with those in Perth!

Travelling from Bunbury to Perth for a weekly obedience lesson sure is commitment, don't think I could do it myself. There are a few trialling people in both obedience and agility at the Bunbury dog club, that would be my first port of call if I lived in Bunbury!

Get a Chessie MM :vomit: Just teasing. You getting another lab?

I must be the only person who has no desire for another dog. :cheers:

I think I will get another lab, the only reason I would like another one is so that I can compete with both and then Mason also has company when I am not home. I think he must get very lonely with only the cats for company :cheers:

HMMM and my next puppy will be........

another red head :grouphug: Yep I would hate the others to get lonely :grouphug:

Well when you drop Beans off then you'll have more room. I'd also like Cider, but pretty sure you won't part with her, so Beans it is :)

You can also heel with your hands in the middle but not many people do that here.

Hi GRLC :) As Ptolomy said there are a few differances in WA but the judging is fairly similar. Most judges here do the figure 8 at the end of the routine rather than the beginning and you usually don't get a choice on which way you want to recall and retrieve over the jump in Open. Training is predominately positive in WA and not many correction train anymore. Most train and trial on a flat or martingale collar although there are still a couple using slip collars.

As far as the hands go, the rule is that for each exercise the hands must return to the same position they started in. So for heeling you can have the left hand stationary at your side and the right swinging so long as you are not giving any extra movements to help the dog. In the drop on recall, when the judge says about turn and halt, if your hands are in the middle, you signal and call, they must return to your middle, down signal, hands return to middle, finish give signal hand returns to middle. Hands behind back for stays is fine.

Bunbury is at least a couple of hours distance from most metro clubs....Rockingham would probably be the closest apart from the Bunbury club which is pretty small although it is an affiliate club and holds both obedience and agility trials.

Just reading the whole hand position thing a couple of pages back has me concerned because i never knew you could loose points for where your hands are positioned as long as it wasn't seen to be giving extra commands , i have 3 different positions as i was none the wiser . I am hands in the middle during heel work and COP 's ,lower middle position for recall and hands behind back for SFE and stays . Does anyone think that this could be an issue when we hit the open ring ? bedazzled said it varies from state to state, im gonna be a western Australian next month is there anything that i should know about regarding differences in judging and trialling from SA to WA ? oooh and can anyone recommend a good obedience club ?

thanks for the advice everyone .Bedazzled i am so glad i don't have to worry about my hand position thing then :) .

Maybe i will have a look at Bunbury club and see if it's what I'm looking for . Your right Ruby star i am dedicated that's why i want to make sure im joining a good club . I have come from a very small club where they are no longer affiliated because they are soo small and the only trialling experience we have is 1 very outdated harsh trainer and myself and my friend who's the other instructor (she used to be an instructor at Southern districts which is a huge club in Adelaide ) .

Edited by GRLC

thanks for the advice everyone .Bedazzled i am so glad i don't have to worry about my hand position thing then :) .

Maybe i will have a look at Bunbury club and see if it's what I'm looking for . Your right Ruby star i am dedicated that's why i want to make sure im joining a good club . I have come from a very small club where they are no longer affiliated because they are soo small and the only trialling experience we have is 1 very outdated harsh trainer and myself and my friend who's the other instructor (she used to be an instructor at Southern districts which is a huge club in Adelaide ) .

I am pretty sure the Bunbury club is affiliated.

Hey bedazzled/Ptolomy are you going to the rally seminar :):vomit:

I did originally say yes - but have not filled in any forms or paid any money and have in fact forgotten when it is.

Life is a little hectic at the moment :grouphug:

Hey bedazzled/Ptolomy are you going to the rally seminar :):cheers:

I did originally say yes - but have not filled in any forms or paid any money and have in fact forgotten when it is.

Life is a little hectic at the moment :cheer:

:vomit:

It's July 3 & 4. The registrations close June 18th. I'm yet to send my form off to :grouphug: . It's $80 which is a bit :cheers: especially when ness is tempting me with new leads :grouphug: .

Edited by tiggystaff