Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Well tonight at training Daisy did a nice drivey ring run out which was great... not a problem with any of the exercises.

Except for down stays which have been brilliant the last few weeks... she has now decided to bark during them and if that's not enough she sits up as she barks :rofl:

I think this trialling business is all too hard :laugh::rofl:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Boo' agility training was canceled tonight and it wasn't on last Monday due to the public holiday so it feels like ages since we've been. Banjo's not too upset he's fast asleep on the lounge :laugh: . I might set my weaves up tomorrow :rofl: .

Why was it cancelled? You guys are soft :rofl:

Two of the Instructors are sick and the wet weather although I don't think it's raining now, I can't be bothered poking my head outside to check :laugh: .

Edited by tiggystaff

Had a nice weave training session with Ruby yesterday which left me on a high, she's up to 6 poles now :rofl: I just need to organise 6 more poles before we can progress to the full set so finalising this might be a bit delayed.

But my obedience training session tonight was pretty ho-hum :laugh: I hate coming away feeling disappointed. I think I'm mostly disappointed in myself for not making the ringwork fun enough. We have fun mucking around with bits of heelwork and such outside the ring and they are really "up", but the second we step in a ring the mood changes and I don't get the best from my girls :rofl: I've got so much fine-tuning to do that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Well tonight at training Daisy did a nice drivey ring run out which was great... not a problem with any of the exercises.

Except for down stays which have been brilliant the last few weeks... she has now decided to bark during them and if that's not enough she sits up as she barks :rofl:

Haha, Daisy is great!!! You know you and her will do brilliantly brilliant on the weekend....

I've come to join the training talk thread - I own a 9month old Aussie Shepherd - she's going AWESOME in training - lots of focus, and really working nice... I can't wait until she's ready to trial.... Tonight she was just so great, so proud of my girl!!!!!!

Flick Mac - I think over the holidays we should go down the oval and video each other to put up so we can get some training tips!!!!!!!!!

Gotta luv them Aussies!!! She's lovely LL :o

Haha, Daisy is great!!! You know you and her will do brilliantly brilliant on the weekend....

I've come to join the training talk thread - I own a 9month old Aussie Shepherd - she's going AWESOME in training - lots of focus, and really working nice... I can't wait until she's ready to trial.... Tonight she was just so great, so proud of my girl!!!!!!

Flick Mac - I think over the holidays we should go down the oval and video each other to put up so we can get some training tips!!!!!!!!!

But my obedience training session tonight was pretty ho-hum :laugh: I hate coming away feeling disappointed. I think I'm mostly disappointed in myself for not making the ringwork fun enough. We have fun mucking around with bits of heelwork and such outside the ring and they are really "up", but the second we step in a ring the mood changes and I don't get the best from my girls :rofl: I've got so much fine-tuning to do that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

RS what do you think it is about stepping in the ring that changes their moods?

It would be you, they pick up on your body language and mental state, so they get all worried. It might not even be a conscious thing with you but it could be slightly different way you carry your shoulders or your tone of voice. It becomes "Mum is worried about something, dont know what but that makes me more worried" Make a decision to behave in a very upbeat manner yourself when you walk in the ring, relax them between exercises with a bit of rough house rewards then switch them back on for the next exercise.

It has really worked for me though I did have a judge chip me about not taking it serious enough when I first walked into a ring at a trial a few months ago. I figure it doesnt say in the rule book anywhere that you have to be serious. So I keep on keeping on.

Had a nice weave training session with Ruby yesterday which left me on a high, she's up to 6 poles now :) I just need to organise 6 more poles before we can progress to the full set so finalising this might be a bit delayed.

But my obedience training session tonight was pretty ho-hum :rofl: I hate coming away feeling disappointed. I think I'm mostly disappointed in myself for not making the ringwork fun enough. We have fun mucking around with bits of heelwork and such outside the ring and they are really "up", but the second we step in a ring the mood changes and I don't get the best from my girls :) I've got so much fine-tuning to do that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

I know what you mean RS, it seems that just yesterday I was teaching Mason new things and now he knows most of what we need for obedience I just need to fine tune all of it and I am struggling to find ways of making boring stuff interesting if you know what I mean ? Our 2 big problem area at the moment are sit stays, he was useless last week, dropping all the time, then Ptolomy gave me some great advise and it worked well, he did the sit stays well in class - but then yesterday evening he lay down in a sit stay again!! Thats our one problem, the other one is that if we just heel off from a stand than i have his focus but if we try heel from a sit the first step he always looks down - its as if he cant get up from a sit while looking up :laugh:

Our 2 big problem area at the moment are sit stays, he was useless last week, dropping all the time, then Ptolomy gave me some great advise and it worked well, he did the sit stays well in class - but then yesterday evening he lay down in a sit stay again!!

You are a bad girl Mas1981 - you are lumping - lumping sets the dog up to fail - you need to repeat 10 times I must not lump, I must set the dog up to succeed. Translated - this means you are asking the dog to sit for too long and he is not ready for this yet...... Are you still yoyoing the time up and down or are you trying to get to the 1 minute for CCD?

back to the drawing board.

... the other one is that if we just heel off from a stand than i have his focus but if we try heel from a sit the first step he always looks down - its as if he cant get up from a sit while looking up :laugh:

Ah yes! I know this one well :) A very easy solution is to rapid fire treats to the dog whilst he is sitting and giving you attention and continue as you take that first step. One step only!!!! Release. Repeat. :rofl:

Our 2 big problem area at the moment are sit stays, he was useless last week, dropping all the time, then Ptolomy gave me some great advise and it worked well, he did the sit stays well in class - but then yesterday evening he lay down in a sit stay again!!

You are a bad girl Mas1981 - you are lumping - lumping sets the dog up to fail - you need to repeat 10 times I must not lump, I must set the dog up to succeed. Translated - this means you are asking the dog to sit for too long and he is not ready for this yet...... Are you still yoyoing the time up and down or are you trying to get to the 1 minute for CCD?

back to the drawing board.

I am varying the time, it seems that he wont do a sit stay in our backyard, I suppose its too boring for him!! Nothing for him to look at.

My problem as of last night is that Daisy, whilst focused and switched on, is bored during stays to the point of barking. I've been told a woof or two would be minor points but it's so frustrating as she's been really good the last few weeks.

If I don't rev her up before going into stays, it's likely she'll start scenting the ground and break for that. But after last night if I rev her up enough so she's focused she will bark and possibly sit up as she's barking. I wish this had become a problem a few weeks ago when I had time to fix it :laugh: Her stays have been so solid lately :rofl:

It would be you, they pick up on your body language and mental state, so they get all worried. It might not even be a conscious thing with you but it could be slightly different way you carry your shoulders or your tone of voice. It becomes "Mum is worried about something, dont know what but that makes me more worried" Make a decision to behave in a very upbeat manner yourself when you walk in the ring, relax them between exercises with a bit of rough house rewards then switch them back on for the next exercise.

It has really worked for me though I did have a judge chip me about not taking it serious enough when I first walked into a ring at a trial a few months ago. I figure it doesnt say in the rule book anywhere that you have to be serious. So I keep on keeping on.

Yes, thanks guys, that is what I meant by the mood changes - mine. I go all serious and take away the fun, so I am going to make an effort to train in the ring like I do out of it!

huski - have you played the steady feet game with Daisy? I think it's also excellent for reinforcing stays - sometimes I play the game even though Zig's stays aren't broken. I know you are trialling soon so it's not something you want to mess with at the moment, but the other things I would consider are using a NRM and putting the dog away. Bring the dog out - do a really short stay and reinforce. I think Daisy needs the opportunity to understand the criteria for a stay i.e. don't move and keep your mouth shut :laugh: It's quite possible she hasn't worked out the latter! Dog, does that make sense???

My dogs haven't done a group stay for two years probably :laugh: due to me giving up training then getting back into it last year. I don't like to spend too much time on stays, I know before we trial I'll need to train solid group stays, but for now I make it really easy for them to get it right every time and I'm leaving it at that. I am working on steady feet.

On a different topic in one of my obedience books it talks about progressive classes - which is dogs at different levels in the same class. My new club has a really small obedience turnout maybe 5 dogs at different levels and I'm really loving the class. Love to watch the more advanced people but also the beginners as it reminds me to reward 'easy' exercises to and I just love that we can all help each other :rofl: .

Had a nice weave training session with Ruby yesterday which left me on a high, she's up to 6 poles now :) I just need to organise 6 more poles before we can progress to the full set so finalising this might be a bit delayed.

But my obedience training session tonight was pretty ho-hum :rofl: I hate coming away feeling disappointed. I think I'm mostly disappointed in myself for not making the ringwork fun enough. We have fun mucking around with bits of heelwork and such outside the ring and they are really "up", but the second we step in a ring the mood changes and I don't get the best from my girls :) I've got so much fine-tuning to do that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

I know what you mean RS, it seems that just yesterday I was teaching Mason new things and now he knows most of what we need for obedience I just need to fine tune all of it and I am struggling to find ways of making boring stuff interesting if you know what I mean ? Our 2 big problem area at the moment are sit stays, he was useless last week, dropping all the time, then Ptolomy gave me some great advise and it worked well, he did the sit stays well in class - but then yesterday evening he lay down in a sit stay again!! Thats our one problem, the other one is that if we just heel off from a stand than i have his focus but if we try heel from a sit the first step he always looks down - its as if he cant get up from a sit while looking up :laugh:

I know all about this one with Ruby!! A LOT of effort has gone into her on this problem, and it's still not 100% fixed. She would always drop her head when taking off. So if you can do one step and he's looking, click and treat and end it there! Build it up and be variable. You can also try asking for a hand touch above his head as you walk off to encourage him to look up as he takes off. Thankfully I never had this problem with Millie!

Edited by RubyStar