Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

WA is where my original rolled leather ones came from YEARS ago :crossfingers: . ETA I got one of the Janet Morrison ones but it started to look a little to worse for wear after not very long - hmmmmm.

Edited by ness

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:) Thanks guys - I'll try Janet - met her up at Camp Tailwaggers a couple of times, and she's always been really helpful - and prompt when I've ordered things.

LOL @ ness - Rory doesn't chomp things, thankfully - he just slobbers a lot, especially when he's panting. :)

I've got 4 seekback articles from the lady in WA. The first two apparently weren't permitted for use in the ring so she was lovely and made me another 2 free of charge. So I use my non-trial permitted ones for training, works out well :)

Can I please have some different ideas on how to teach "stand"?

Em is really quick to pick things up and it's for that reason (as Ptolomy pointed out) I don't want to teach her the wrong way as it will stick. With Zig I think he learnt a show stand first so was placed into position but Oh My Goodness this pup doesn't stand still long enough - she's wriggling and SPRINGing and offering behaviours, trying to work out what I want her to do :laugh: I've very briefly tried luring and targeting - the former is not toooo bad but I think I'm confusing her. With targeting, she is so damn quick to touch my hand and then sit that I can't get in fast enough to mark the behaviour. I thought about shaping it but I am yet to see her stand still :laugh:

Thanks!

I caught it with a clicker - took a while to catch it though, had to wait until she had offered her entire repertoire and was then standing looking at me :laugh: She seems to understand it well though, except working on her keeping her feet completely still for longer - going to ramp it up and play heaps of steady feet games.

Essier said than done though - I've seen your videos :rofl: SPRINGER all right :laugh: Someone with a more 'enthusiastic' dog may have a better method.

I will wait and see what others surggest.

Stands are the last thing I teach and at nearly 9 months Strauss still doesn't have one which makes it very ugle/hard in the show ring :laugh:

Have just changed my mind (womens perogative!)

I would be teaching a kick back stand. You can do this 2 ways:

1. Have the dog sitting next to you in heel position and use your foot to tickle the dogs back foot/toes - if the dog is sensitive they will do a kick back stand which you can click and treat.

2. Have the dog sitting in front and lower food from the dogs nose to their chest and once again they should do a kick back stand to get it. I think Caffy has some youtube video somewhere.

Edited by Ptolomy

Me and Toby were working on stands this morning :I was eating Nuri Grain with no milk and I was making him down, down to a sit and I just had to lean down and act like I was going to touch his belly and he would stand. He is starting to get it! :laugh: But I do have a touchy kelpie who when we are training will move away from my body so that makes going from a down to a sit easier!

But we have no aspirations for obedience, just teaching stands for Rally-O so I am not fussed what his feet do and not sure if I am runing that with the way I am teaching it!

Caffy's video:

You reminded me I did some of this with Trixie - completely forgot about it - had a bit of a 'we are never ever going to be able to do obedience or rally' moment that lasted a couple of months but feeling more inspired after training last night :laugh: May get there one day :laugh:

I will wait and see what others surggest.

Stands are the last thing I teach and at nearly 9 months Strauss still doesn't have one which makes it very ugle/hard in the show ring :laugh:

Have just changed my mind (womens perogative!)

I would be teaching a kick back stand. You can do this 2 ways:

1. Have the dog sitting next to you in heel position and use your foot to tickle the dogs back foot/toes - if the dog is sensitive they will do a kick back stand which you can click and treat.

2. Have the dog sitting in front and lower food from the dogs nose to their chest and once again they should do a kick back stand to get it. I think Caffy has some youtube video somewhere.

I think the second way is how we taught it at club, not 100% sure though, seems so long ago ......

amypie - you've got it exactly! I just can't capture the behaviour. Once I show her what I'm after she'll nail it........little smart @r$e heeled better than Zig tonight - threw left hand circle work into it and she didn't even blink. Also added a drop into her heel work and she got that the 2nd time - I have to give her a break so I can work out what the heck I'm going to do next as my training plan just goes out the window :laugh: Fortunately there are lots of little aspects of retrieving I can play with like distance sits and one of her bigger challenges will be stand for exam so we are doing lots of steady feet and distractions in a sit. I'm trying to keep her training light and simple but she is always hanging out for more and it's not like I'm pushing her (which I would worry about with Zig) - I guess I just have to accept that she is different :rofl:

Ptolomy - thank you. I really think you're onto something.....I will try the first idea as, with luring, she thinks I'm either asking her to drop OR she looks at me like I'm a complete idiot because she thinks it's the "steady feet" game. In some ways she provides as many challenges as Ziggy does.

RV - I'm glad you're enjoying Rally-O training! I take it Toby likes Nutri-grain :laugh:

ETA: Thanks for the link amypie....stopping her move at the front end is a great idea too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

TSD if she is dropping in the luring make sure your hand stays up, When they drop it is usually because the handler has moved the hand slightly down in the luring. For pups that are sticky (oh noes I have to sit here and not budge because you has food....) I usually get the handlers to move back a bit themselves as they lure, this might be a body tilt or it might be a step. If the pup is stretching its nose out and still thinks it can't move then I tend to give some verbal encouragement too 'ok' or some other break ok to eat word.

Thanks JulesP - I agree that it's definitely a failure on my part with the luring but I also felt that I couldn't communicate with her clearly enough using that method, especially since I have been doing a lot of steady feet work. I did want to play around with a kick back stand but wasn't 100% sure how to train it. Thanks for all the suggestions - brilliant!

RV - I'm glad you're enjoying Rally-O training! I take it Toby likes Nutri-grain :)

Toby has a sweet tooth and really enjoys the morning ritual of tricks for Nutri Grain when I have it for breakfast :)

HMm now I now why he looks like he has been in a good paddock over Xmas :)

RV - I'm glad you're enjoying Rally-O training! I take it Toby likes Nutri-grain :mad

Toby has a sweet tooth and really enjoys the morning ritual of tricks for Nutri Grain when I have it for breakfast :)

HMm now I now why he looks like he has been in a good paddock over Xmas :)

:) He is not getting as much exercise being the only dog he just sleeps all day besides his walks, training and when we play with him... and I don't have nutri grain very often! Only when we run out of bread :laugh:

I did steady feet before the stand with Amber too TSD. Stand was the only thing that it caused problems with. Borders are weird about standing too though!

Is her 'default' position drop JulesP? I notice that a lot of BCs much prefer that to anything else - especially in agility. Herding instinct? Em defaults to a drop (I do ask her to maintain a sit and she is getting it now) when I open the yard gate to go downstairs where we go in the car or for a playtime. Is it just excitement and anticipation? Or body shape? Zig much prefers to sit :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

TSD, you're girl is a springer isn't she? So I'm guessing you groom her does she stand to be groomed? All mine are taught stand as part of the grooming routine then later it gets transfered into their general behaviour. I just use my hands to maintain the position to begin with since collies tend to want to either lie down or bounce around the moment the brush comes out. :) Other wise though the usual rules apply small steps and lots of rewards.

Hi NC - she's a working ESS so barely any coat to worry about. The most she gets is a rumble tumble towel dry when she's been galloping up and down the mountain in the rain :thumbsup: I do know what you mean about tiny steps but I still think some methods suit some dogs better than others - what I did worked for Zig beautifully but not for Em!

Yep all my borders like to drop :thumbsup: Sit stays are a pain in the bum too. They all drop really quickly too, no folding back stuff. Not actually sure how they do it, lol. Drop on recall and change of position are their 'party tricks'.