Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah a wash and wear Springer! :thumbsup: Well it was a thought anyway, but then I don't have a choice can't really not groom a rough collie!

Hmm she sounds like an energiser bunny, does she stay still to eat even?

:D I enjoy grooming the dogs and cats but it's nice not to have to do it. Em gets most of her dry food from me for training and Ptolomy pointed out on our training video that she was SPRINGing up to get her treats so I've had to refine my technique somewhat. She will stay still to eat a frozen chicken frame or lamb neck.....but then she's in her crate anyway :rolleyes: She has been a very busy girl today and has finally crashed on my feet......think I will hide the batteries :laugh:

Your little girl sounds devine TSD. Does make life interesting when they are very smart though, trying to stay even one step ahead!!

Well I am supposed to be training for Albany (mid Feb) Rommi recently had 8 weeks off due to a knee and toe injury, then she dislocated the toe again. We strapped it and soldiered on. We were going well but rusty as you would imagine. Then I got a virus and COMPLETELY lost my voice, I couldn't even squeak!!!! So no training for 5 days until I have finally got it back enough so I can give a comand and not sound like a squeaking door!

Did some training just now thinking oh no how far back have we slipped and both the dogs nailed it!!! I consider myself very very lucky, I was ssooo proud of them. Happy bouncy heeling, very fact recalls - yes I did have one knee collection of fast moving Whippet, and very correct sits, stands and downs.

Pheewww can breathe a small sigh of relief! Hopefully back on track again!

Your little girl sounds devine TSD. Does make life interesting when they are very smart though, trying to stay even one step ahead!!

Well I am supposed to be training for Albany (mid Feb) Rommi recently had 8 weeks off due to a knee and toe injury, then she dislocated the toe again. We strapped it and soldiered on. We were going well but rusty as you would imagine. Then I got a virus and COMPLETELY lost my voice, I couldn't even squeak!!!! So no training for 5 days until I have finally got it back enough so I can give a comand and not sound like a squeaking door!

Did some training just now thinking oh no how far back have we slipped and both the dogs nailed it!!! I consider myself very very lucky, I was ssooo proud of them. Happy bouncy heeling, very fact recalls - yes I did have one knee collection of fast moving Whippet, and very correct sits, stands and downs.

Pheewww can breathe a small sigh of relief! Hopefully back on track again!

Argh latent learning and consolidation - I love it :laugh:

Good luck at Albany.

The Little Monster is great fun that's for sure!

Best of luck on the weekend! How do you go with your whippies, in terms of motivation? I've seen a few go around agility here very, very slowly - I can see how they would be very difficult to motivate and then I see them run and run and run like the wind (looked after one for a few days) and think how awesome they would be to train if you found out what makes them tick. Mr TSD loves them but I remind him as to who does all the training. Perhaps one day I will indulge him :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Rommi is a little harder to motivate, food works wonders with her as you can lose the tips of your fingers if you are not careful! She will only work to a point though so it can be hard work keeping her 'up', don't train too often or long maybe every 3rd day for her.

Lewis is very different, also trains very well for food, but a good play and he is happy or with a ball. He finds jumping very self reinforcing and if he is getting tired you give him a 15 /20 minute break and he is back into it. He also really gets off on being told he is clever. He is much more fun to train but due to being quite enthusiastic his work is flashy but he is more likely to break a position. Rommi is not as flashy but very solid.

Lewis is find it rather hard to keep up with but is quite slow and careful over the A-frame and dog walk at this stage. Rommi is a little slower but far more confident on the A-frame and dog walk. I wouldn't class them as slow but they are certainly not BC's! :laugh:

They are very different to train, Lewis is more energetic and does a lot more exercise than Rommi. They both are very quiet inside though and in their down time :o

Edited by OSoSwift

I am not quite sure I am brave enough to video it and then post in on here!!!!!!!!

I will take the camera, but sharing - might need an alcoholic beverage to help with that!! Well I will most likely need one for the trial - been around 6 years since I was last in the ring :laugh:

I get shocking nerves as it is!

Hey gurus! A question for you. Came up in a little training group we've got going here now (which is great BTW).

One of the group wanted some tips on teaching the skip sit - scoot sit - you know the one where the dog plants front feet and scoots the bum in to a lovely upright sit. Her GSD bitch tends to slump a bit.

I said I would consult the DOL oracle. :confused:

I am starting to get a little excited about Albany now, I am am getting it organised to have the four dogs we are taking to get measured as well.

Woohoo. Now not to get too nervous before then :thumbsup:

Edited by OSoSwift

I teach sit separate to heelwork and don't forget that sit in heel position is very different to sit in front. At the same time I teach my foot cue. Doesn't matter which foot you cue off as long as you are consistent. So for me its stop on the right and close with the left and I teach it by single stepping which has the advantage of teaching a nice skip sit at heel.

Recipe... have dog sitting, step forward on right foot, lure forward and sit with the left foot and treat high enough to have high head but not enough for him to jump up. Also ensure you treat with the dogs head straight not curled into you. Rinse and repeat :love:

Hey gurus! A question for you. Came up in a little training group we've got going here now (which is great BTW).

One of the group wanted some tips on teaching the skip sit - scoot sit - you know the one where the dog plants front feet and scoots the bum in to a lovely upright sit. Her GSD bitch tends to slump a bit.

I said I would consult the DOL oracle. :)

Thanks bedazzledx2. And what about a skip sit in front? Same sort of thing? (I think it's the fronts she is more concerned about.)

Tollers are renown for sloppy sits and I spend a fair amount of time teaching them to sit up - by holding the food up high when I reward - it makes them have to lean forward and up to get it - without lifting their butt off the ground. I think this encourages the skip fronts.

My borders do the lazy sits too. The come in perfectly straight, look like they are going to sit straight and then at the last moment slump and rock back.

Yep and I hate it!!!! - so I start work on it early because all mine did it as youngsters. Its like lazy puppy sits and its almost like you have to develop the back muscles to help them sit straight for long periods.

My borders do the lazy sits too. The come in perfectly straight, look like they are going to sit straight and then at the last moment slump and rock back.

Yep and I hate it!!!! - so I start work on it early because all mine did it as youngsters. Its like lazy puppy sits and its almost like you have to develop the back muscles to help them sit straight for long periods.

I particularly hate it when instructors show you how to do the walking back, sitting straight thing like you have never heard it before! My borders do the lazy sit so quickly that you really can't catch it before they have done it. It is looking good, yeah sitting straight, slump! They seem to do it about an inch off the floor. Amber has been the worse. She had me freaked out about HD for a while!