Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

A little brag here, Orlando managed to do a 3 min sit stay with dogs from another club & stayed put :dancingelephant: Orlando is only CCD level, the other dogs were near UD level, our club dicided to pull the pin due to the ground to slushy, so we trained with another club at kcc park :happydance:

We're you at Berwick too? I was rather disappointed as I'd driven almost 1.5 hours to get to the trial only to have it called off. Ankle deep water in some spots was not nice.

Well done on your sit stay :)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH Murve - go on rub it in :laugh:

Well done - any tips on how you taught the sit stay??

:rofl: thanks Ptolomy

well the only tip I could give, when you have a few puppies & its feeding time at the zoo :laugh: , Orlando is made to sit stay while I prepare their dinner, feed them & then I give Orlando his :D if he breaks I repeat, which he dosen't anymore, the other prob I had was he didn't like other dogs near him but I feel the pups may have changed that.

He use to break his stays after at least 30 sec's, but now I feel we may finally start getting our passes for CCD :D

Edited by murve

A little brag here, Orlando managed to do a 3 min sit stay with dogs from another club & stayed put :dancingelephant: Orlando is only CCD level, the other dogs were near UD level, our club dicided to pull the pin due to the ground to slushy, so we trained with another club at kcc park :happydance:

We're you at Berwick too? I was rather disappointed as I'd driven almost 1.5 hours to get to the trial only to have it called off. Ankle deep water in some spots was not nice.

Na sorry wasnt at Berwick but I did hear it got cancealed by our president, they had 2 of their dog enterd.

I am with Westernport & we train at Kcc Park Sun mornin's :)

Southern dog club are also at our grounds at the momento, they lost their club rooms etc due to the floods a couple of months ago :(

Oh thank you Nik, I very happy I got my Whippet to stay that long :D in the wet

Edited by murve

LOL Seita about flogging it between now and the Nationals - I think there are a few of us who are in the same boat.

AT least you know which dog you will be competing with - I wont know for another 4-5 weeks :(

I don't have a choice! I've only got the one dog! But I think not knowing which one you'll be taking would be crap, I take it you've entered a few and will decide just before you leave for the airport?

:eek: The Nationals are almost here! I wanted to come but can't afford it, and I also couldn't decide which dog to bring. Glad I'm not entered now, because it would be even harder to choose now that Ruby is starting to get her act together in the ring!!!!

That's really bad that they didn't cancel the night before, the amount of rain we had Friday/Saturday was monstrous! My backyard is still literally underwater and horrible, ridiculous they didn't cancel it Saturday as Berwicks grounds are known to being waterlogged after light rain.

I headed down for a wander and there was not a soul in sight anywhere so figured it too being cancelled.....so we went to KCC for a bit of look at the Lab show and to give training on wet grass a go :p

Edited by tollersowned

That's really bad that they didn't cancel the night before, the amount of rain we had Friday/Saturday was monstrous! My backyard is still literally underwater and horrible, ridiculous they didn't cancel it Saturday as Berwicks grounds are known to being waterlogged after light rain.

I headed down for a wander and there was not a soul in sight anywhere so figured it too being cancelled.....so we went to KCC for a bit of look at the Lab show and to give training on wet grass a go :p

A fellow trialler had this on their FB earlier on, saying that they cancelled after they'd set up and checked in. Apparently the grounds were fine at 5 pm Saturday. :confused:

I feel for anyone who's travelled from any distance only to find a trial cancelled on such late notice.

A fellow trialler had this on their FB earlier on, saying that they cancelled after they'd set up and checked in. Apparently the grounds were fine at 5 pm Saturday. :confused:

I feel for anyone who's travelled from any distance only to find a trial cancelled on such late notice.

Yeah, we were all checked in, vet checked etc, then the judges had a meeting and called it off. I think they were trying to work out whether to hold it in the fenced parts which weren't as soggy.

How disappointing for you, Nik :(

Hey Rubystar how about bagin up some of that sunshine you guys have & send it to Vic :laugh:

we need it to dry out Kcc park grounds :laugh:

Edited by murve

Be happy to send some Murve!!

Hope it dries out for you.

Oh yes please :D ,

So do we, we have an ET on the 28th this month, was out there this morning with TrinaJ & another rider doing some riding, the grass section was a absolutly sluggy after 2 days of rain :eek:

Are you Ptolomy :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. You can't ask a question and not answer. Maybe I should bring the old girl out of retirement and enter another UD trial for something to do.

It's FINALLY raining here as well. Thank goodness, was going to get rather desperate soon. My 4 loads of clothes are getting wet on the line and I don't care one bit!

Not sure how training will go though???

This probably isn't the right place to ask this but rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd pop in here.

I've been doing some research into dogs with sporting titles in my breed and as I go further back I am seeing A.O.C as a back end title is this the old Australian Obedience Champion title which included the tracking requirement? (I am fairly sure that it is but I wanted to check)Does anyone remember? Also can anyone remember when what year roughly the tracking requiremnets for the OC where dropped? Did this happen at the same time as the AOC becoming a front end title and changing to OC?

If anyone can help that would be wonderful!

We have rain YEEEEEE HARRRRRRR

Anybody trialling this weekend??

Yay for rain!

I've got Millie in agility on Sunday. Scratching Ruby Sat and Sun. Both girls just need one more AD pass, so here's hoping Millie can do it for both of them :rofl:

Ok,I have a naive question about dog training here in Oz. Back in the US, I had a great local club that held obedience classes with positive re-inforcement and an emphasis on obedience training. So we learned how to teach basic commends with hand signals and a treat or toy reward. 'Puppy pushups' (sit, drop, stand) were really easy to teach. Later I took a recently adopted senior Dal for her canine good citizen at Petco. Their company policy was no chain collars (and no 'NO') OK, weird, but the trainer was brilliant, showed obedience, and had an amazing vocabulary with her 3 yrd old Great Dane. She taugh basic positive re-inforcement and was well versed in clicker training. She actually showed us how to teach 'Leave It' using clicker.

So, I now have a one year old puppy (rescued Dal boy) and I feel like Goldilocks. One club in the small rural city I work in teaches obedience, and does not allow food (or any other) positive rewards other than voice. I couldn't believe the methods they use to teach drop, it involves the handler (on the ground) pushing the dog to the ground. When I showed them how I taught my old Dal girl drop, they told me that was 'cheating'. OK...

In the regional city I spend weekends in, there is a companion dog club. They teach with food or toy rewards, but they DON'T ALLOW chain collars. Personally, I think chain collars are a great aid.

So are these groups typical here in Oz? Are there groups that meet halfway, and acknowledge the benefit of different techniques???

Ok,I have a naive question about dog training here in Oz. Back in the US, I had a great local club that held obedience classes with positive re-inforcement and an emphasis on obedience training. So we learned how to teach basic commends with hand signals and a treat or toy reward. 'Puppy pushups' (sit, drop, stand) were really easy to teach. Later I took a recently adopted senior Dal for her canine good citizen at Petco. Their company policy was no chain collars (and no 'NO') OK, weird, but the trainer was brilliant, showed obedience, and had an amazing vocabulary with her 3 yrd old Great Dane. She taugh basic positive re-inforcement and was well versed in clicker training. She actually showed us how to teach 'Leave It' using clicker.

So, I now have a one year old puppy (rescued Dal boy) and I feel like Goldilocks. One club in the small rural city I work in teaches obedience, and does not allow food (or any other) positive rewards other than voice. I couldn't believe the methods they use to teach drop, it involves the handler (on the ground) pushing the dog to the ground. When I showed them how I taught my old Dal girl drop, they told me that was 'cheating'. OK...

In the regional city I spend weekends in, there is a companion dog club. They teach with food or toy rewards, but they DON'T ALLOW chain collars. Personally, I think chain collars are a great aid.

So are these groups typical here in Oz? Are there groups that meet halfway, and acknowledge the benefit of different techniques???

Hi DalGirl the club I am with teach all the positive rewards of food, toy whatever stimulates your dog to responds too, yes they even allow correction chains :).

In puppy class we even do puppy push-ups, in a nut shell our club pretty much teach what you learnt in the states :D .