Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone else find that when they are competing and training alot (like trialling every weekend) their dogs start to lose a bit interest or oomph when in ring?

Whilst I am not competing much I was doing a full ring run through each weekend. I find Poppy heaps better with only a couple of days a week training. I've reduced the weekend run throughs I do too.

Quick question to the gurus out there....

Today we had a members comp, and although we did very well, there are a few things I'd like to fix (apart from my dodgy footwork- seems I found all the holes in the ground today!).

During change of position, I had my hands in the same position as for recall, so that when I moved my hand to give the drop signal, Annie for a split second thought we were doing recall, then quickly dropped when she realised it wasn't. Came forward perhaps 1/4 body length.

So I guess I'm asking how others differentiate between recall and COP. Would it be as simple as keeping my hand by my sides as opposed to clasping them in front of me? Arrgh, more things to think of!!! I was already a bit stuffed up as my instructor told me I was taking too many steps after commands to carry out what was asked.

Thanks

Thats a common mistake for a baby dog (as in new to the class) to make. It just means you have to be very clear when you give your signal and also remember to praise her when she gets it right. If she makes a mistake don't make a big deal of it...just re-set her and help her out. If you think about it you will need the body language of a recall for later on in the Open and UD class so I would be inclined to keep your hands where they are but perhaps modify the beginning bit of either your down or recall signal.

Walking on will be pinged in a trial but at this early stage it is also important for you to get your timing and foot work correct. You will find it'll all come together with practice :D

Quick question to the gurus out there....

Today we had a members comp, and although we did very well, there are a few things I'd like to fix (apart from my dodgy footwork- seems I found all the holes in the ground today!).

During change of position, I had my hands in the same position as for recall, so that when I moved my hand to give the drop signal, Annie for a split second thought we were doing recall, then quickly dropped when she realised it wasn't. Came forward perhaps 1/4 body length.

So I guess I'm asking how others differentiate between recall and COP. Would it be as simple as keeping my hand by my sides as opposed to clasping them in front of me? Arrgh, more things to think of!!! I was already a bit stuffed up as my instructor told me I was taking too many steps after commands to carry out what was asked.

Thanks

LOL! @ Rubystar. Terrible isn't it?

Does anyone have any idea about the AOC stuff I asked about on the previous page. Tried asking Dogs Vic but got no where. Can anyone suggest where I might find this information? I know it's pre 1989 as my firstriallingng rule book doesn't include the tracking requirements for the OC.

Does anyone have any idea about the AOC stuff I asked about on the previous page. Tried asking Dogs Vic but got no where. Can anyone suggest where I might find this information? I know it's pre 1989 as my firstriallingng rule book doesn't include the tracking requirements for the OC.

Natsu chan have you tried contacting the ANKC :)

Ok guys found out what AOC stands for here it is

Australian Obedience Champion title

Edited by murve

I don't think it can have been very long before 1989, Natsu Chan, as I started trialling in 1991, and I don't think it had been long gone. Some of the FOOs people would know - Noeline or one of the Dawns.

I don't think it can have been very long before 1989, Natsu Chan, as I started trialling in 1991, and I don't think it had been long gone. Some of the FOOs people would know - Noeline or one of the Dawns.

Oh!!!, I found some Cocker Spaniels in NSW got AOC titles in & about 2005. I still think the ANKC might be the best bet to find out.

Thanks so much everyone for helping. The ANKC isn't contactable itself so I did try Dogsvic (the VCA) but no one seemed to have a clue.

I know The OC replaced the AOC, which was a back end title not a front end one like it is now.

Tassie I'm sure it was in the 90's at some point as the dogs who had OCs when I started all had done the tracking requirement. This would have been 1988 I think. The sticking point is did they change the title from a back end title to a front end title at the same time as they dropped the tracking requiremnet.

Noeline is probably a good person to ask, now why didn't I think of that!

Thanks everyone.

ETA

Okay managed to get my hands on a pre 1989 rule book and the OC was still a back end title then and required a TDX. So I guess that means the 1990's then?

Edited by Natsu chan

Does anyone else find that when they are competing and training alot (like trialling every weekend) their dogs start to lose a bit interest or oomph when in ring?

Nope ;)

I forgot that I posted this. I don't have this problem either, Ella always has plenty of oomph! But I was chatting to someone at a trial on the weekend who thinks their dog needs a spell from the ring every so often to keep him fresh and keen. I've heard this from a few people and was wondering if anyone else found similar issues. My issue is more trying to keep me fresh and keen and interested, I get a bit over trialling every weekend!

Nope ;)

I forgot that I posted this. I don't have this problem either, Ella always has plenty of oomph! But I was chatting to someone at a trial on the weekend who thinks their dog needs a spell from the ring every so often to keep him fresh and keen. I've heard this from a few people and was wondering if anyone else found similar issues. My issue is more trying to keep me fresh and keen and interested, I get a bit over trialling every weekend!

I definitely train and trial Ziggy lightly but I expect when Em is ready to trial she'll be happy to do as much as we can fit in. Whilst 'drive' is not my favourite term, I know that Em has a lot more of it than Zig does :laugh:

I was doing some shaping with both of them today on the same thing - very interesting to watch their different responses - Em throws herself at the task at hand and just keeps trying stuff to the point where you have to be really quick to mark the behaviour you want! Zig will get disheartened much more quickly and you have to reward incremental steps for him.

ETA: I would never enter Zig in a double obedience trial on one day or do 2 days of trialling (obedience or agility), unless it was something exceptional like the Dally Nationals. I used to rest him the day before a trial but now a nice long walk the morning before seems to working well. In the past I would never attend agility training on Monday night if we had trialled but that has changed in the last few months so clearly something is working!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Not here either, but I'm only doing agility these days.

I give my two a break at the end of the calendar year just to give their bodies a rest and a general break for all of us. They would happily do agility training several times a week and trials every weekend - it's me who needs the break, especially when most trial days are a 16 + hour day for me.

Where has everyone gone???

Did more Open work today. Did the worst throw ever over the jump it landed heaps off to the side. Poppy was very good though and jumped the jump, found it, had a bit of a think but jumped back over the jump. Good girl. Her heeling was pretty crap which is usual after a days herding. COP was very nice. DOR was a good splat but gee she is going to anticipate it. I don't train it at home at all, but after one DOR we did a straight recall and she anticipated.

The other 2 dogs were good as well. After herding yesterday and obedience today they better be feeling pretty mellow because I am buggered!

Sounds like Poppy is doing well with her Open JulesP :thumbsup:.

No training happening here - zero incentive to get myself out on cold nights to train Ness and Kenz is on Day 12 of crate rest and driving me insane! Here is hoping the physio has a few other ideas tomorrow not involving crating for another week. The crating is making bugger all difference to her soreness level and in fact if anything I would say she is more sore then she was.

I just want to go back to having a not broken Kenz - she really wants to be doing stuff and its hard going on both of us. The longer its going on the harder its becoming.

Edited by ness

Just back from showing and yep took 5 kids to the K9 grounds and trained all 5 (OK my halo is shinning). Unfortunately the forecast for this coming week is rain and thunderstorms - so thought I better take advantage of the sunny and 25 degrees today as I don't know when we will get out again.

Scoota continues to improve as does his level of fitness and we are included lots of play time inbetween exercises :thumbsup:

UDX well think I will ask somebody to call a round shortly to see how it is going.

Beans - well I have blown the dust of her as she hasn't seen a trial ring for a few weeks. Little witch works like a $1 000 000 at training :o

Cider - sit STAYS are on the agenda - and she did a nice one today :thumbsup: Her open work is getting more confident

Strauss - he is such a nice boy and he does everything in his own time. I would like to replace his batteries with some new ones - just trying to work out how to remove the old ones :rofl: His heelwork is coming along nicely but I feel that I have to explain everything to him in the tinest little bits - bless him.

Lexi - came along for the ride - her DOR is BEAUTIFUL - wish I could use it on one of the others,

I just arrived home from a 1.5 hr muddy, wet jaunt with my pair.

At the first park I did a session of 'find heel' with Em which was heaps of fun - sometimes she was literally 'off with the birdies' but soon worked out the game. Zig had a turn with some duration heeling and he enjoyed himself so much I had to remind myself to give him a break. I really tried to work on my posture with both of them as I know I drop my shoulder during training. Em did a blind retrieve drill - pushed distance HARD and she was all over it, which was dreadfully exciting! Then Ziggy played the 2 food game with fast drops - normally he hates dropping in the wet but the treats were damn fine :D Em did another session working on distance handling drills (backs and overs) - tough one for her and she made a few mistakes on the overs but that's not unexpected. After all that we headed off to the lake for a long walk, some off leash running and a swim to try and wash off some of the mud!

At home we've been working on dumbbell/article presents as Ziggy has been mouthing a little and Em thinks wood is to be CHOMPED. I keep picturing SH looking over my shoulder and saying 'No - don't accept that' :laugh: I notice that I have much higher expectations after a SH seminar!!! Em quickly cottoned on and is bringing everything to me with no problems. Ziggy is coming along nicely now that he understands what he shouldn't do. Lots of perch work on the telephone book too. Em thinks that is the greatest sport ever and is doing 360 spins. I've added heeling into the picture and it has really improved her hind end awareness. Zig seems to be so much more motivated now that Em is here - just having to watch her train makes him burst out of the crate and try things. I have neglected his perch work because he was getting really frustrated but the break seems to have worked wonders and he is really getting the idea now.

So all in all we are enjoying ourselves immensely :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil