Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Great that she's motivated normally. Maybe you have inadvertently poisoned the behaviour???? Been there got the t-shirt ;) Maybe take a break for a while and then start again with the Shirley Chong method and a different retrieve article. She may well be picking up on your frustration too.

ETA: No soreness in the mouth???

I've thought about soreness, but I'm not sure how you'd recognise if that was the problem? Her teeth look fine, she has a scissor bite and she has no trouble with bones or toys or wooden kennels :(:laugh:

I do suspect I've poisoned it but as it took so long to get where I am now I didn't want to have to go back to the start! But maybe I will. Ta.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Annie and I have just discovered dog chocolate. I must say her enthusiasm is astounding me! And I break them into tiny pieces too. We have a trial this Sat that I hope she'll continue to show the same enthusiasm for :)

Ooooh I might have to try it for my two!

Must say, best work I ever got was after Ruby got a chicken foot for a reward! She was desperate for another so was heeling along with so much enthusiasm and spunk, I loved it! Might need to chase some more down for her next obedience trial (not sure when that will be, though).

I've never come across something like the dumbbell, though. If I try wait her out she will offer other behaviours - nudging the dumbbell, pawing it, dropping, sitting on it... she just doesn't seem to want to put it in her mouth.

I had a very hard time teaching Millie dumbbell. She absolutely hated things in her mouth. Just lots of patience and perseverance got us there. First time she sat and held it I had a huuuuuuuuuge party and she was certain she had done well due to my reaction! I took it so slowly with C/T for incremental interactions with the dumbbell. She's now a retrieving freak, seriously loves it!

Separate to the dumbbell issue, what's interesting with Ruby is she has been hard to motivate to heel and do hand thrown dummy retrieves for retrieving. But for some reason, if I use a dummy for a reward, she heels with more enthusiasm and loves retrieving hand thrown dummies over and over! So combining two troublesome behaviours has resulted in a win in both situations for me rofl1.gif

Well not to interrupt the discussion but I thought I would you all might like to see my new little obedience prospect. Well we hope so anyway! So far we are doing quite well but you all know how that is! :laugh: She is a collie rough not that you'd know from the lack of hair.

Woohoo! Congrats on your new addition! :D

Great that she's motivated normally. Maybe you have inadvertently poisoned the behaviour???? Been there got the t-shirt ;) Maybe take a break for a while and then start again with the Shirley Chong method and a different retrieve article. She may well be picking up on your frustration too.

ETA: No soreness in the mouth???

I've thought about soreness, but I'm not sure how you'd recognise if that was the problem? Her teeth look fine, she has a scissor bite and she has no trouble with bones or toys or wooden kennels :(:laugh:

I do suspect I've poisoned it but as it took so long to get where I am now I didn't want to have to go back to the start! But maybe I will. Ta.

Wuffles, have you tried different size/shape/material dumbbells - it can make quite a difference. I had a major problem with Fergus ( :rainbowbridge: ) who never did master the art of walking forwards with the DB in his mouth - would always throw his head back and the body went with it :p - but he did better with wooden DBs with a thicker than usual and probably shorter than usual bar. I've been lucky with Rory - I started with Shirley Chong's method, but Rory took to it like a duck to water - mind you, he does chomp his DB a bit - he gallops back excitedly, and his hold still needs work. Trying with him the thngs people have been suggesting for the hold - including the WA guru's sit in the chair. thing. I've got a variety of DBs that I use with him, just in case I ever forget one. :p

Wuffles, have you tried different size/shape/material dumbbells - it can make quite a difference. I had a major problem with Fergus ( :rainbowbridge: ) who never did master the art of walking forwards with the DB in his mouth - would always throw his head back and the body went with it :p - but he did better with wooden DBs with a thicker than usual and probably shorter than usual bar. I've been lucky with Rory - I started with Shirley Chong's method, but Rory took to it like a duck to water - mind you, he does chomp his DB a bit - he gallops back excitedly, and his hold still needs work. Trying with him the thngs people have been suggesting for the hold - including the WA guru's sit in the chair. thing. I've got a variety of DBs that I use with him, just in case I ever forget one. :p

I've tried two different sizes of plastic and a wooden, she definitely prefers the wooden. Still doesn't like it though :p

Well not to interrupt the discussion but I thought I would you all might like to see my new little obedience prospect. Well we hope so anyway! So far we are doing quite well but you all know how that is! :laugh: She is a collie rough not that you'd know from the lack of hair.

Very cute! Name? Age?

:D

She's 16 weeks now Tassie (I've been keeping her under my hat for awhile now but she's getting to big for that now) :laugh:. Her name is Miko which is Japanese for priestess, her registered name is Hallelujah so that sort of fits. Thanks for the lovely comments. I still have the big girl but she's retired now.

post-16956-0-56111400-1314854776_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, she's a bright spark and very cuddly. She's from a smooth breeding so she's a bit naked and more like a smooth in temperament too. She has a lot of dogs with obedience, tracking and herding titles behind her so I have hopes. The potential is there I just have a lot of work to do! :D

Wuffles not many collies do obedience anymore, back in the 80's when I started there were still quite a few around and a lot of our older judges started out with collies. I'm talking roughs here as the smooths really only came out in the late 70's and are still quite rare. The numbers in general have taken a massive dive in the last 15 years or so. The royal (Melbourne especially) use to get a 100 plus entries in the early 90's just for roughs now we're lucky to see 20 to 30 of both coat types.

Edited by Natsu chan

We got our first ccd pass today!! 87/100. Very excited!

Well done! that's a great job you've done. The next pass will be easier as you know you can do it now :)

We got a lovely pass in CD today in horrible windy conditions. 195, ended up high in trial! Thanks for the lovely trophies Sunbury, I needed a new vase :D.

We got our first ccd pass today!! 87/100. Very excited!

Well done! that's a great job you've done. The next pass will be easier as you know you can do it now :)

We got a lovely pass in CD today in horrible windy conditions. 195, ended up high in trial! Thanks for the lovely trophies Sunbury, I needed a new vase :D.

Congrats on the new vase ( and the pass too) :)