Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Last night was so much fun :D Thanks bedazzled for putting us through!

As Ptolomy said, this was Ruby's first ever full UD round. The most we've ever done with anyone else calling something is scent a few times and a very short seekback once. So this was a pretty big ask, especially considering it had to be treated like a real trial with no treats and all the rest that goes with a real trial!

I expected 0's all over the board but to my surprise we didn't get as many 0's as I anticipated!

Seekback - was a fairly long one (well it felt like it to me, it was a longish ring) and our about turn to head off to find it was on our least practiced side. Blow me down, Ruby raced back down the ring in the right direction and found it pretty quickly! thumbsup1.gif

Directed Jumping - our least practiced exercise (besides gloves). She got the first box, and this was our first time directing her over a jump from in the middle and without stepping to give her an extra clue. I held the signal slightly longer to help her out and she nailed it! Second box she sat less than a metre short of the box, but then knew she was wrong so got up herself and went and sat in the box, 0 points of course but good girl! :) She got the second jump as well.

SD - got first 2 articles correct then brought the wrong one back on the last go. It must have had my scent on it because she smelled it first, went to pick it up, decided against it and kept smelling, then came back to it.

Signals - thumbsup1.gif What can I say except she scored better in this than she usually does in a normal heelwork round rofl1.gif

Gloves - big fat failure, but that was to be expected. It's a bit embarrassing actually because I own a breed who dominates retrieving :olaugh.gif

Oh and she moved all 4 feet in the group SFE. Little cow :p

Can't wait to sort some issues out and get out there trialling :D :D

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like everyones dogs are coming along really well.

RS you should be so chuffed with you and your girls you've come a massive way in a very short time really.

I'm so pleased with my little girl today. She's going to be a show dog too so we've been focusing on that to start with but this morning I decided to see how my baby obedience dog was going from all our very short condensced training sessions, she's much further along than I realised. She gave me the most lovely focus and heel work admittedly in a fairly low destraction enviroment but I was so pleased. She tries so hard to please and I'm stunned at how much she's learnt from our little dribbles of obedience that has been done mixed in with lots of other things. She's 6 months old tomorrow.

post-16956-0-54912500-1320891407_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys :)

Can I just say, 2 things I love about UD:

No figure 8's to entice Ruby

and no sit stays!!! :cheer:

Well done NC with your little girl!!! thumbsup1.gif She looks lovely. Are you filming any of her sessions to look back on? I wish I had documented more of Ruby as a puppy.

Well done UD dogs! I'm so jealous of your training...

I went to training in Bunbury last night (first time Zazu has been out in ages as I've been overseas on holidays), and all that happened was I got scolded like a school girl for helping a fellow student :confused: . So depressing and demoralizing!

If any positive trainers that love obedience feel like moving south, feel free!

Well I finally got Ruby pretty stable in her sit stays, but now she's telling me I'm just entering her in Open for the fun of it so I can stick the sit stays wherever they'll fit laugh.gif

She dropped almost immediately at the trial last Friday, and did so again in training yesterday. And no, I haven't been practicing down stays!

I went to training in Bunbury last night (first time Zazu has been out in ages as I've been overseas on holidays), and all that happened was I got scolded like a school girl for helping a fellow student :confused: . So depressing and demoralizing!

That doesn't sound fair or nice! :(

Come up to us ;)

:rofl: RS I need a few more important things stable before I even entertain the idea of a sit stay - something like a dog remaining on 4 legs and getting through a training session without giving me a heart attack in the process :o.

That doesn't sound fair or nice! :(

Come up to us ;)

Yep, very frustrating. I much prefer 'workshop' style obedience classes where everyone is encouraged to share their ideas and experiences than traditional "I'm the trainer, you're the student and thou shall not speak, think differently, or try to help others" approach. :(

Would love to train with you guys, but a 4 hour round trip is a lot for a weeknight :laugh:

What are everyone's thoughts on collars worn in the obedience ring?

I know in agility you have the option to run your dog "naked", but there is no such option in obedience.

Now you aren't allowed to touch your dog by the collar in the ring, so why not have the option to put them through naked?

My girl itches in her collar sometimes because the only time they wear collars is when we go out (I also think stopping to scratch at it gives her an excuse to take her mind off the job which is a training issue, she's possibly not even itchy ;)) but if she didn't have to wear one in the ring I'd be much happier. Would also stop me from being tempted to grab her by it when she's being particularly rambunctious as a way to stop her mugging the judge :D

What if somebody has to grab your dog in stays because the dog has broken RS?

ETA. Just clarifying I don't mean "you" personally. But I know that is one argument that has been given for dogs having collars on.

Edited by ness

Yep, stays may be a different issue, and I guess that argument could be valid in the ringwork, too. But if it was valid in the ringwork then it should be valid in agility, too, as agility is so arousing for dogs that you'd probably have a greater issue there of a dog needing to be grabbed that ran off.

Anyway good points, which is why I posted the question for discussion :D

Yep I am definitely for no collars in agility for the safety issue of possibly getting caught on equipment, but don't see the logic of not being able to be naked in obedience because the risk of needing to grab a dog by its collar for obedience ringwork and for agility are the same. I do see the benefit of a collar for stays, though, so I guess to make it simpler the rule is across the board for both ringwork and stays.

Silly rule though that you can't touch them by it between exercises :o Though I've seen some handlers do it, even those who should know better ;) I know dogs need to be under control between exercises, too, hence not being allowed to touch them by collars, but really, we can control our OTT dogs with other methods (besides appropriate training and voice control :laugh:) that do include touching the body! ;) Just hope they don't bring in a rule that says we can't even touch our dogs between exercises, that would be frightful! eek1.gif

I'm pretty lucky with Millie, she doesn't usually jump on the judge/stewards or runs off to them so between exercises I can be more laid back, but gosh Ruby is damn hard work between exercises! Noone can understand it til you've lived it!!! laugh.gif