Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I have the perfect answer I will just bring Cider and walk away from the car with one of the other kids. That will cause her to go into meltdown and elicit the most ear piercing scream you have ever heard - all attention is guaranteed to be turned from any ring towards my car where everybody will want to know who is murdering the sweet little child. :crossfingers:

It's so encouraging to know I'm not the only one with a screaming tanty throwing bitch. If we were closer, I couild do the same - leave Kirra in the car and take Rory towards where she knows there's agility equipment - then you'd have two 'puppy being murdered' distractions :crossfingers: . (And Ptoloomy - the good news - Kirra has turned 8 - and she STILL does it - so don't think Cider is going to grow ouit of it any time soon. :thumbsup: .)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gawd, Millie barked and cried the K9 grounds down last night when I took Ruby off for a wee :crossfingers: She is such the terror to get in and out of the car and to leave behind. It's causing me much grief and making me want to leave her at home and not train her :crossfingers: But can't leave her at home by herself, she goes into meltdown there too and destroys everything!! Argh!!!

Yes, Kyzer is a good boy and waits quietly, Trixie on the other hand.... :rofl: She will scream and cry and throw herself around as if she is being tortured, I was hoping ignoring her except unless she was quiet would've worked by now but she's persistent! She's okay if she can't see us though! It's when she sees Kyzer getting treats that she flies off the handle :)

Must be something to do with not being the first dog. Ruby is well balanced, can be left alone and won't carry on like a pork chop. I can even have my car door open with her and not tied in while training Millie and she stays put. Millie on the other hand, she can't handle being alone and missing out on being with me. She couldn't give a hoot if she isn't with Ruby, it's the human contact she wants. I swear if she could talk she'd tell me she wishes she was an only child!

How are we meant to introduce subsequent dogs into the family correctly and giving them the alone time they need? Millie just has never gotten it. My two have been spoiled, human contact all day and being inside. The second I leave them alone in the backyard, terror strikes. Millie eggs Ruby on as I think Ruby could cope just fine being left alone all day. Sometimes more than one dog is more worry than it's worth :)

Hang on RubyStar - Ness is my first dog. Kenz in comparison is a perfect angel (well some of the time - other times she thinks she is missing out on the action so bounces around all over the place).

As for being left home Ness wouldn't cope and would jump the fence, Kenz on the other hand copes much better.

Edited by ness

Maybe... did you find out if its ok for you to join half way through the term? It is nice and local...

If you fill in the form on their website they'll email you and send you out a membership pack. I got an email straight away and the lady was very helpful.

Must be something to do with not being the first dog. Ruby is well balanced, can be left alone and won't carry on like a pork chop. I can even have my car door open with her and not tied in while training Millie and she stays put. Millie on the other hand, she can't handle being alone and missing out on being with me. She couldn't give a hoot if she isn't with Ruby, it's the human contact she wants. I swear if she could talk she'd tell me she wishes she was an only child!

I thought maybe in Trixie's case it's because she's never really been alone, she has Kyzer for company during the day then me or OH any other time. Kyzer is used to waiting patiently while being on his own. She is a lot needier than him though, she stalks me around the house, Kyzer likes his space.

I thought maybe in Trixie's case it's because she's never really been alone, she has Kyzer for company during the day then me or OH any other time. Kyzer is used to waiting patiently while being on his own. She is a lot needier than him though, she stalks me around the house, Kyzer likes his space.

I guess that is what I was kind of getting at. The first dog is usually left alone, and you go to troubles to make that happen. The second dog comes along and the first is always there for company, hence never getting the time to be alone unless you really make an effort to make that happen! Which in my case, I didn't. I also attribute Millie's behaviour to her upbringing before I got her, she was locked out in the yard 24/7 chained and muzzled so it's likely to have lasting behaviour effects on her. Doing my best to overcome it, but it's hard. It's like she has some loose live wires in her head and when they touch, it sets her off into psycho mode! And they touch very often, especially when trying to get her in and out of the car at training!!!

Gawd, Millie barked and cried the K9 grounds down last night when I took Ruby off for a wee :laugh: She is such the terror to get in and out of the car and to leave behind. It's causing me much grief and making me want to leave her at home and not train her :laugh: But can't leave her at home by herself, she goes into meltdown there too and destroys everything!! Argh!!!

When I had 2 dogs neither one of them could do anything on their own, it was exhausting, one needed the vet the other one would have to come along too! If i ever get another dog I hope that they will be alright on their own, Mason copes fine home alone etc and i am very happy with that.

I didn't even know there was a mock trial :laugh:

Neither did I til last night :laugh: I'm guessing it's obedience and agility?? I might put ratbag into Open just to see how embarrassed I can get for one evening :shrug:

Edited by RubyStar

Perth people: does anyone know if there will be anyone available to measure dogs this Saturday at the mock trial at the K9?

Have a look in the latest K9 Magazine and see if there is any mention on the measuring committee and the numbers to call. Otherwise PM me or email me and I will give you the email address of one of the judges who is on the measuring committee and who will be there on Saturday night. You need to contact them to make sure they bring all their gear and you will need to take Ruby's registration papers.

Alternatively, if you see Judge Judy at ACWA tonight you can ask her if she can measure Ruby for you on Saturday. There needs to be 2 judges present.

Just wrote to them. Do you think you will be going? It will be much easier then going all the way to Southern River and back.

Maybe... did you find out if its ok for you to join half way through the term? It is nice and local...

If you fill in the form on their website they'll email you and send you out a membership pack. I got an email straight away and the lady was very helpful.

Just wrote to them. Do you think you will be going? It will be much easier then going all the way to Southern River and back.

I will be going just have to wait for Banjo's foot to get better. I want to give agility another go with him so that should be a laugh :thumbsup: .