Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Perth people: does anyone know if there will be anyone available to measure dogs this Saturday at the mock trial at the K9?

Have a look in the latest K9 Magazine and see if there is any mention on the measuring committee and the numbers to call. Otherwise PM me or email me and I will give you the email address of one of the judges who is on the measuring committee and who will be there on Saturday night. You need to contact them to make sure they bring all their gear and you will need to take Ruby's registration papers.

Alternatively, if you see Judge Judy at ACWA tonight you can ask her if she can measure Ruby for you on Saturday. There needs to be 2 judges present.

Judge Judy :rofl: I didn't see this post until after training so I will peruse my mag for details and make contact, thanks :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started teaching Cider sent discrimination tonight - anybody else interested in giving scent a go and comparing notes?

I was talking to a friend about this today! I would love to train Daisy scent discrimination as I am quite sure she will excel at it but I have no idea where to start or how to do it :rolleyes:

I started teaching Cider sent discrimination tonight - anybody else interested in giving scent a go and comparing notes?

I was talking to a friend about this today! I would love to train Daisy scent discrimination as I am quite sure she will excel at it but I have no idea where to start or how to do it :rolleyes:

Do you have any scent articles?

Do you have any scent articles?

No :o though I guess that would probably be a good place to start? Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy them?

Huski - Seita might be able to tell you where she got hers from.

Otherwise I know there is a lady you can order them from in NSW.

Janet Morrison Animal Care

www.obedienceproducts.com

Just so you can have a read - for all my dogs bar Lara, my first, I have used the dogscouts method of teaching scent.

http://dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Disc...#Scent_Articles

Edited by Ptolomy

We will play Ptolomy - I need motivation to teach Kenz something new :( . So how did Cider's session go :rolleyes: .

Kenz had her first walk since Friday this afternoon, have buggered up my shoulder and decided finally today to go and get some decent drugs (she is use to being taken out twice a day and OMG was she pinging off the walls - bouncing head height in anticipation of fetching her ball). Got some lovely controlled heelwork out of her though just glorious :o .

ETA. Hmmmm might go and have a go now since a certain feral is wanting something to do.

Edited by ness

We will play Ptolomy - I need motivation to teach Kenz something new :o . So how did Cider's session go :rolleyes: .

I tried a couple of weeks ago and gave up after one session as she would just run out and bring back the first one she came to - basically she was oblivious to there being more than one article.

Tonight I tried and I had the 2 metal articles very close together and all of a sudden it dawned on her that she had a choice - Only once did she bring back the wrong article - out of probably 7 goes - so I will give it another go tomorrow and see what happens.

So it is tendonitis of the shoulder due to ball throwing???

Huski - Seita might be able to tell you where she got hers from.

Otherwise I know there is a lady you can order them from in NSW.

Janet Morrison Animal Care

www.obedienceproducts.com

Just so you can have a read - for all my dogs bar Lara, my first, I have used the dogscouts method of teaching scent.

http://dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Disc...#Scent_Articles

Thanks so much Ptolomy! I will have a read of the dogscouts method.

That link above is where I got my dumbell from, will probably buy them from there.

Ok just read the article you linked to Ptolomy and I am feeling quite excited about training scent discrimination! It sounds far easier to do than I thought it would be. I am going to buy some articles this week :o Thanks for the inspiration :rolleyes:

Edited by huski

Goodonya - hmmmm Wry neck and the shoulder is just because I haven't been using it and lets just say maybe lifting heavy agility gear is to blame so possibly I should stick to the lighter sports :rolleyes: - drugs however are a godsend and now I can at least function again without snapping at the girls.

Ok we just played a session - I was going to start out playing metals but Kenz doesn't like metals inside and since I had opted to play inside after she got confused with no reward for fetching a metal we switched to woods. I warmed her up with a few C/T for the metal and then added a second and then she went to grab the second one and at that point I thought nope we will switch article types.

We had 1 scented down and 1 unscented and she was fine with fetching the scented, then went to two unscented still went out and got the scented, 3 went out and got the scented. Remembered from playing with Ness to keep adding articles quickly. I think we had one error when she just snatched the first article she came across. A few times she went to the wrong one, slimed it, went to grab it then kept hunting for the one I had placed.

Switched for Ness - god either my articles are badly scent contaminated or Ness has lost the plot because she went out sniffed and returned with an incorrect article not once but twice :o . So now I am not sure if my articles are in need of some serious airing or if Ness was just having a night.

Went back and did another 2 with Kenz and they were good. She seemed to be sniffing a bit and not necessarily grabbing the first article.

ETA. Note to self for future scent sessions - when you have finished put box of articles away else a certain black and white midget will help herself to your boxes :( ;) :mad:mad .

Edited by ness

Geordie would be good at it too, I will drop into the club next Saturday and see if they have any articles.

Did you actually start with metals as the article says Ptolomy?

Goodonya

Yes I always start with metals - and then go woods and finally leathers. My kids have always found the leathers the hardest.

OH and I think from memory the dogscout article says to throw your scented article - well my throwing sucks - so I tend to walk closer and do a little toss or place it :rolleyes:

Geordie would be good at it too, I will drop into the club next Saturday and see if they have any articles.

Did you actually start with metals as the article says Ptolomy?

Goodonya

Yes I always start with metals - and then go woods and finally leathers. My kids have always found the leathers the hardest.

OH and I think from memory the dogscout article says to throw your scented article - well my throwing sucks - so I tend to walk closer and do a little toss or place it :rolleyes:

It's a great method to teach SD!

What other exercises are you doing with Cider???

Tiggy - better to have multiple sets. I have 3 trial/training sets - they get used once a week for club training as well as trials but also rotated through for training Ness now I know she won't kill any of them, 2 sets which I have devoted to training the midget (and then Ness gets a play when I have finished with Kenz - my very special WA sets :o ) then - a normal set I bought years ago as a second set from a club here when I was training Ness but I don't really like them with normal metals and then an extra set of more knurled articles which I was kindly given by the person who first made and introduced knurled articles, and I also have another spare set of thick leathers :coffee: .

This might be a stupid question but do you have the one set of scent articles for multiple dogs or should they have their own :coffee: ?

I have 4 or 5 sets which I rotate for training but really I only use 2 sets for trialling and there is always a spare set on the shelf for anybody that forgets there's at a BIG trial (not mentioning any names).

I actually have a bag of metals that I think I lent Rubystar which I found tonight and was the reason for thinking about starting Cider on scent again. They aren't all knurled and they aren't all the correct length - so they are great for training.

What other exercises are you doing with Cider???

Stands are top of the list at the moment as we will be hitting the show ring shortly :coffee:

At the moment everything is a work in progress. I really need to start some duration heelwork, have been playing with dumbbell holding while sitting in front without slumping backwards, practicing turns right, left and about turns, front presents, and change of pace in heelwork, also working on steady feet and sit waits (this is something my kids aren't usually ready to tackly until after 12 months of age, but Cider Bear is very different to the rest of them). Have also introduced sit in the hoop/box and last week she was introduced to the baby dog walk and jump humps - so having a lot of fun and to Cider - everything is one BIG game.