Dogs Fighting Over Food *help*

Well tonight i gave your suggestions ago

i went out side tied both bogs up about 8 meters apart, placed there bowls on the ground, went inside came back out with food filled up there bowls. They both sit till i tell them to eat, i waited till them had both finished eating then left them for 2-3 min just so they knew the other dog was not coming over. i then calmly and quietly rewarded them with affection and talking to them and let them off there leads. i removed the bowl and everyone was happy

one thing i did notice is the older dog was very excited/anxiouse i tried to talk to him sofelty and help calm him. hopefully he will start to realize that food time is not a time to fear but can be relaxing

the younger one was pretty cool with everything but having all his food in a bowl he ate it VERY fast, is this ok for him?

thank you so much! i will continue to do this as it seems to work really well and will hopfully restore the peace

thankyou every one for your imput

On a whole they are pretty good, they are made to sit and dont start eating till i say there names, i feed them apart but not tied up

its not always the younger one who comes over trying to steal food the older one does it just as much, its just seems that when the younger one does it and the older one does not want to back down this is when the fights start

i was wanting to teach them not to bit anyone if there food was touched, i will stop those things because it sounds like it makes it worse

i scater the food on the groud because i was once told that dogs are natural scavenges and when you feed them in a bowl they just scoff it down which is not nateral for them.

so i should have bowls instead?

i will try tieing them up as they eat and rewarding them as you sugested

I'd just treat them like the domestic dog they are, put their food in a bowl and give it to them, don't set them up for failure so feed them apart until you have done the neccessary training.

As much as i hate seeing my dogs hurt each other this is my main concern, i never leave the kids out with the dogs alone.

Another quick question, i feed the older dog first because the "top dog" eats first "right? Now if the younger dog is going to be more dominate and become "top dog" how do i dealize this? and how do you let it happen?

or are labradores not of a "pack" mentality that this matters

You don't get to choose who the top dog is apart from you. Your dogs change their positions during the day. Humans create problems between dogs by trying to dictate this, dogs have a natural order, leave it to them and just repremand inappropriate behavour.

Dogs are pack animals, breed is irrelevant.

When dealing with 2 dogs give attention to the calmest first and that's how you get calm behaviour.

Edited by sas

Put their food in bowls only, not scattering on the ground. Food only in the bowl, no bowl means no food. Scattering can also mean they go over for more as they cannot see an 'allocated portion' for them, and then one needs to be possessive over his little corner.

Do you recommend this for single dogs too? I always thought that scattering a dogs meal through your backyard before leaving for the day gives them something to do and keeps their minds entertained. Obviously if you have more than one you would never do this as it could cause guarding and fights, but what about one non-food aggressive dog?

That works for about 10 minutes (keeping them occupied), it would be better to physically exhaust the dog befor eyou leave the hosue if the dog is a problem during the day and provide interactive activities for the dog such as interactive toys, sand pits eyc.

Well tonight i gave your suggestions ago

i went out side tied both bogs up about 8 meters apart, placed there bowls on the ground, went inside came back out with food filled up there bowls. They both sit till i tell them to eat, i waited till them had both finished eating then left them for 2-3 min just so they knew the other dog was not coming over. i then calmly and quietly rewarded them with affection and talking to them and let them off there leads. i removed the bowl and everyone was happy

one thing i did notice is the older dog was very excited/anxiouse i tried to talk to him sofelty and help calm him. hopefully he will start to realize that food time is not a time to fear but can be relaxing

the younger one was pretty cool with everything but having all his food in a bowl he ate it VERY fast, is this ok for him?

thank you so much! i will continue to do this as it seems to work really well and will hopfully restore the peace

Don't try and soothe your dog, just ignore the behaviour.

I would still be wanting to feed them in seperate areas where they can not see each other so they can fully relax.

I would still be wanting to feed them in seperate areas where they can not see each other so they can fully relax.

depends if you can or cannot. This way both dogs will learn to settle, the younger is bolting out of habit and it will slowly disappear as you go along. You are teaching the dogs to cope with each other, relax with each other and see what the other is doing to get a reward (praise, food etc) We underestimate how valuable another dog can be with training.

As for the anxiousness, ignore and praise simply for quiet behavior. Sometimes you have to wait and remember it is probably due to a bit of confusion at the new situation and the residual anxiety that is usually had over dinner.

Remember do it little by little, dont rush this we are trying to repeat the fact and really cement it in the dogs what you ultimately want. Let your dogs dictate at what rate you do things and remember, relax and dogs relax with you.

depends if you can or cannot.

Who can't? It's not difficult. People can make things happen if they want to.

My opinion is to feed the dog seperately until they are calm and have slowed down with their eating and then bring them together tethered....set the dogs up for success step by step.

Edited by sas

The dogs do not have a massive issue with each other so I dont see why separation is necessary. First you teach the dog the other is not around, then suddenly you put them back together within sight of each other - where has coping with sharing visual space been taught?

That's exactly what I do Kavik. Jasper is a slower eater so his bowl goes into a separate corner of the kitchen while Brooklyn is on a sit stay. Brook will inhale his food so he gets fed a minute or so later so that hopefully they finish around the same time and I will pick their empty bowls up so dinner's over and there is nothing to potentially squabble over. They also know to take any special treats such as carrots or bones to their own beds and eat there.

I also don't buy into the alpha eats first or bother to maintain that sort of pack order....I simply do what is most convenient to me. (I guess I am the alpha bitch though so I do maintain my rules :laugh:

I feed Diesel first simply because he is the slowest eater and gets the most food being the biggest, so hopefully they finish around the same time.

That's exactly what I do Kavik. Jasper is a slower eater so his bowl goes into a separate corner of the kitchen while Brooklyn is on a sit stay. Brook will inhale his food so he gets fed a minute or so later so that hopefully they finish around the same time and I will pick their empty bowls up so dinner's over and there is nothing to potentially squabble over. They also know to take any special treats such as carrots or bones to their own beds and eat there.

I also don't buy into the alpha eats first or bother to maintain that sort of pack order....I simply do what is most convenient to me. (I guess I am the alpha bitch though so I do maintain my rules :thumbsup:

I feed Diesel first simply because he is the slowest eater and gets the most food being the biggest, so hopefully they finish around the same time.

:( bedazzledx2.

Yep - mine are fed about a metre apart - Kirra gets her small meal first, then Rory straight away. Even though she finishes first, she won't go to his bowl till he's finished.

On the bolting kibble thing - you can put some water or other liquid in their bowl with kbble and it slows them down a bit.

I must admit I don't like the idea of scattering food around the yard for any dog. I'd just as soon my dogs didn't think it was OK to go searching on the ground for food - not everything on the ground is safe - but a dog might still consider it food. I'd prefer to use a treat -dispenser of some kind.