Rabies Epidemic Grips Bali....abc The Midday Report

Boronia

We got to Bali every 6 months or so and this has been the case for quite some time. I have been told by locals that in their culture, they dont see the dogs as they are evil spirits and therefore a lot are ignored. It was quite sad as we were having dinner by the beach and every 5 mins or so heard shotguns of the culling. If they have rabies, im not sure what more can be done as the Balinese generally dont have enough resources to look after themselves sometimes, let alone stray dogs - very sad :(

The people that do see the dogs and have them as pets love them to death :thumbsup: We had a taxi driver have one with him once and he was so friendly :laugh:

Very sad, and also scary. If anyone knows of a charity that supports mass dog vaccinations in Bali, please post details.

There was one welfare organisation person interveiwed on the ABC. They wanted to immediately immunise as many dogs as possible.

I couldn't find anything recent on the ABC website, but maybe if you called them they could give you the charity contacts.

I did find this old article on the ABC site. Vets warned on Bali rabies threat It looks like Australia has been supporting mass vaccinations.

Sandgrubber, you may find this interesting

http://gabbylewis.vox.com/library/posts/tags/charity/

it includes this paragraph...

'BAWA have received 75,000 rabies vaccines donated by the Australian Government at a cost of about $1.80 each which they are using to protect Ubud’s dogs and monkeys'.

There is a paragraph as well about Bali rabies in the following link

http://www.vetsbeyondborders.org/