Bowel Obstruction

cowanbree

I have a 9yr old sheltie that was operated on on Monday for a bowel obstruction. I was wondering if anyone else has had this, what was the recovery like and when did they eat again? I already know there is a high mortaility rate but am hoping for the best.

my friend's Maltishoo had that op for an obstruction. Aside from the Lizzie collar which he hated, he was home that night, had brekky the next day and was fairly normal after that. he was careful how he lay down, su I guess some positions were unconfortable for hm.

One of my Labs has had 2 obstruction surgeries, the first was a sheep's foot and the second (a year ago) was a stick! Both times she recovered really well, last year she had 5 days in hospital and then only small meals of soft foods for about 10 days and once the stitches came out she was back to normal.

Unfortunately while he seems bright enough and has no temperature at nearly 3 days he isn’t showing any signs of eating and will even start to gag if you wave food under his nose. My vet said he likes them eating within 48hrs but I am hoping given his age that he is just a little slower

My Cavalier girl had surgery for an obstruction when she was 15 months old. She had some of her intestine resected. She was in hospital for 4 days. She wouldn't eat for the vet nurses so I used to go there 3 times a day to feed her. She recovered well and has had no problems in the 3 years since her surgery.

She had eaten loquats that fell in my yard from the tree in the property behind mine. The loquat stones caused the blockage. Now I net my yard every loquat season though she is probably big enough now to pass the stones but I don't want to take any chances.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

Hopefully he is on nutrigel and liquids at least? he is obviously feeling very poorly :offtopic:

Hamlet had an obstruction , had surgery and stayed in Hosp for a few days ..he was eating canned stuff in Hosp. he was only young, and so I guess that helped .

Hope your boy picks up soon.

try him with some rescue remedy!

my maremma oscar had bowel surgery for obstruction. he ate within a few days but not a lot. i mainly gave him nutragel and chicken soup. Any meals had psyllium husk added to kep stools soft... he finally had a bowel movement about 4 days after surgery and we all breathed a huge sigh of relief as sometimes the bowel does not regain function.

good luck with your boy

H

Edited by dogbesotted

Cowanbree cook some skinless chicken breasts in a small amount of water and make a broth with the liquid and very finely shredded chicken. That's the only thing that tempted my girl to eat on day 3.

The vet was getting worried because Dana wouldn't eat. Once she ate the chicken broth her appetite returned. Because she lost 15cm of intestine I was careful with her diet for a few weeks so the chicken broth with a small quantity of vegies steamed and blended to a pulp was her staple diet for a while.

Cowanbree cook some skinless chicken breasts in a small amount of water and make a broth with the liquid and very finely shredded chicken.

I did basically the same for a pug that had to have her stomach cut open to retrieve bones out of her osophegus. Except the chicken breast was minced. I boiled it in water and made a broth and basically fed a tablespoon every hour to her.

Lots of vibes for your doggy cowanbree.

My Stafford girl had a resection at 9yrs for a Leiomyosarcoma and a few days later started vomiting back anything we gave her...was touch n go for a couple of days. She needed some meds to encourage the bowel to do it's thing too.

If I was to do it again for any of my dogs I'd strongly consider putting in a stomach tube just for peace of mind.

You may find boiling a whole chicken and tempting him with the warmed broth the best way to go.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller