Can Eveyone Please Check Out My Golden Retriever

Emmajin

+1 for an hour being WAY too much "structured" exercise for a puppy that age. Free play is much more beneficial. He will stop when he has had enough. A short time on the lead for training is all that is required for a puppy.

With regards to the desexing at 6 months. Personally, I wouldn't. If he is a puppy that is inclined towards being lean and leggy anyway, desexing early may contribute even further to this. It has been shown that in larger or heavier boned breeds, desexing prior to sexual maturity can cause the bones to grow longer which will increase height and make the dog look skinnier still.

I'm going to buck the trend and say that to my eye, he is slightly too "light-on" for a puppy of that age. I don't want to see them fat, but I DO like to see them well covered. It is possible that the exercise you are giving him is walking off this cover and it really isn't necessary at this age.

Oooh, you are a bad bad mummy, you better send that puppy to me to look after!!!! :laugh:

Seriously, he looks fine and dandy and I think he looks purebred.

My young golden had very little hair at 6 months old and when he passed at 22 months, he still had a very thin coat (I loved it because he hardly ever dropped any hair!)

Why don;t you pop into the Goldie thread here and ask all the breeders in there?

:rofl:

Sorry i'm all new to this forum, didn't know there's a golden thread too, haha.

so i think my golden won't have as long coat as other goldens. :laugh:

Then it's possible he's not purebred.

I'd be waiting another 6 months before desexing him.

He very well could be purebred but not pedgree and there's nothing wrong with desexing pet puppies at 6 months.

He could very well be purebred... I said its possible he aint. I've never seen a coat that short on a Goldie. If you told me he was a Lab/GR cross I'd believe you.

Nothing "wrong" desexing at 6 months SAS but if I wanted a larger boy to mature a bit more, I'd delay it. The earlier you desex em, the leggier they get.

He's a pet pup not a show dog, average owner doesn't care or know what the breed standard says :laugh:

Not necessarily. Some lines are slower to grow coat than others. A lot depends upon hormones, maturity and also nutrition. A good coat is BRED for, FED for and CARED for. :laugh:

Many desexed dogs grow a huge coat but often the texture isn't correct.

I'd be careful what I wished for anyway....Goldens can shed like the billyo. Less hair on the dog means less hair over the house! :rofl:

There is also a health/nutrition/grooming sub-forum with lots of threads about raw feeding which should help with some of your questions on balance. If you post what you are feeding him in there and ask for advice you will usually get lots of feedback from experienced raw feeders. :laugh:

You would be suprised! :laugh:

Have a look in the GR forum- GRs range from white to deep gold and the coat lengths are equally as diverse.

Many very well bred GRs have been mistaken for Lab crosses.

Oooh, you are a bad bad mummy, you better send that puppy to me to look after!!!! :laugh:

My young golden had very little hair at 6 months old and when he passed at 22 months, he still had a very thin coat (I loved it because he hardly ever dropped any hair!)

Why don;t you pop into the Goldie thread here and ask all the breeders in there?

Hi,

My goldy is skinny too compared to other goldens I see, and she has a thinner coat as well. But her energy levels are fine. She eats well, so I am not too worried. She is purebred with full pedigree papers. But she looked exactly the same as your puppy when she was that age. In fact, quite a few people used to ask me if she was a goldy x lab. Now, at 2 years, she looks like a proper goldy, but with a thinner and softer coat.

He looks lovely to me. Don't forget he's only young and will be burning up all his food (as others have said, would reduce his exercise at the moment); when he matures he will fill out and not be so slim. However, you don't want to have an overweight Goldie, as that can cause stress on his hips and legs. I'm sure your vet can advise you whether he's in the healthy weight range.

Hi,

My goldy is skinny too compared to other goldens I see, and she has a thinner coat as well. But her energy levels are fine. She eats well, so I am not too worried. She is purebred with full pedigree papers. But she looked exactly the same as your puppy when she was that age. In fact, quite a few people used to ask me if she was a goldy x lab. Now, at 2 years, she looks like a proper goldy, but with a thinner and softer coat.

LOL, many people just ask me is this a Lab?

but now i don't really care if he got long coat or short coat, i just want him to be health and normall. but many people say he's legs are too long, is this normall?

so i think my golden won't have as long coat as other goldens. :mad

He's a baby! :laugh: His coat needs time to develop - to me he looks like he will have a beautiful wavy coat with paler cream weathering and a nice mid gold back and ears! :laugh: Come going us in the Sub Breed Forum in the Retriever thread! :rofl:

He's a baby! :laugh: His coat needs time to develop - to me he looks like he will have a beautiful wavy coat with paler cream weathering and a nice mid gold back and ears! :laugh: Come going us in the Sub Breed Forum in the Retriever thread! :rofl:

haha , i found what your guys was talking about, i'm reading that retriever thread now, very good thread!~

haha , i found what your guys was talking about, i'm reading that retriever thread now, very good thread!~

PS there are some piccies of fluppies, your pup's age that are just as leggy and gangly looking! :mad

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

PS there are some piccies of fluffies you pup's age that are just as leggy and gangly looking! :mad

I read somewhere that goldens that have the 'field' line in them tend to be taller, leaner with thinner coats. Does anyone here know anything about it?

• 8 years later...

I know this is years after the thread but how did you get on with your golden retriever? did he end up filling out or remain quite lean? I have a male 5 month year old golden who looks identical to the photos you posted. even the colouring around the ears etc. Hes currently 18.3kg at almost 5 months which is an average weight but he just looks so tall and lanky compared to other dogs his age. I feed him 3-4 cups split between 2 meals and he manages to get through it in about 2 seconds flat (without breathing)

4 hours ago, ryansmithnz said:

I know this is years after the thread but how did you get on with your golden retriever? did he end up filling out or remain quite lean? I have a male 5 month year old golden who looks identical to the photos you posted. even the colouring around the ears etc. Hes currently 18.3kg at almost 5 months which is an average weight but he just looks so tall and lanky compared to other dogs his age. I feed him 3-4 cups split between 2 meals and he manages to get through it in about 2 seconds flat (without breathing)

This is SUCH an old thread :(  the person is not even on the forum anymore ...hasn't been for years. 

perhaps start your own thread ? 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 1:29 PM, ryansmithnz said:

Unrelated to your weight question, but I’m sure your dog would love eating from puzzle bowls, food dispensing toys, DIY enrichment games and the like.