Dogs Leave Pony For Dead, The Law On Side

tybrax

Dogs leave pony for dead, and have the law on side

TAHNAE GOLDSWORTHY

17 Feb, 2010 11:37 AM

FRIDAY, February 5, was a day that “couldn’t get any worse” for Bargo resident Rachelle Corfield.

At 9am, neighbour Lyn Wren let her animals out only to find the paddock across the road and its miniature ponies owned by Mrs Corfield were under attack.

“I let my animals out and saw two dogs chasing the stallion,” she said.

“I ran across to chase them and that didn’t work so I ran back and got my husband who chased them away.

“Then I noticed the dogs were in the long grass and I realised there were more ponies in there.”

Arriving on the scene after being notified by neighbours Mrs Corfield said there were two dogs, what looked to be a “great Dane as big as one of my ponies” and another “tall back one”.

“We couldn’t save her [thepony].

“They had torn her hock joints and nearly ripped one ear off,” Mrs Corfield said.

“Torn open to the bone with ligaments all out.”

With only a 15 per cent chance of survival according to veterinarians from Cobbitty University, Mrs Corfield decided it was better to put the one-yearold pony down.

“The dogs even came back while we were sitting here trying to save this little one and it tried to drag the carcass of the white pony off,” Mrs Corfield said.

After following the dogs through the back of the paddock, they claimed they saw the dogs jump into a backyard. Visiting the property owners with a ranger from

the Wollondilly Development Services Section, Mrs Corfield asked the pair for their details with the knowledge that enormous vet bills were on the horizon.

According to Mrs Corfield they simply said, “Don’t

come around here telling us your problems.”

With the dogs in the yard at the time, blood smeared on their muzzles, Mrs Corfield expected action to be taken.

To her amazement, the Companion Animals Act states that after an attack is witnessed and the incident is investigated by Council’s officer, Council has no power to seize the dog if the attacking dogs have been adequately secured on land occupied

Council will then issue the dog owner with a notice of the intention to declare the dog dangerous, which the owner has seven days to appeal.

Once a dog is declared dangerous it needs to be kept in accordance with the control requirements for Dangerous Dogs under the Act that specify a certain type of enclosure the dogs must be kept in and the manner in which the dogs must be controlled when outside of the enclosure.

In these cases Council can issue a fine of $550 per dog for the attack, but this matter is still under investigation.

While a fine is a possibility that may give some satisfaction to Mrs Corfield, she simply cannot believe the law protects the animals that tore hers apart.

“The law protects the dog and the dog owner,” she said.

“I can’t believe that they have to re-offend to do something.

“It’s the same fine as if they were trotting down the street unleashed.”

However, Mrs Corfield was even more to find out that if the victim was a child, and not one of her miniature ponies, the council action would remain the same. Bargo resident Leanne Hancock said it has already happened in the two days prior to the pony attack.

“Two kids were attacked on their way to school,” she

said.

“A mum walking with her dog and three little girls had

dogs attack them.”

http://bowral.yourguide.com.au/news/local/...spx?storypage=1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this is awful for this poor horse owner. She has my sympathies.

If a dog gets out and is reported for attacking, the owners are served with a dangerous dog order. The owners then have to secure it per all the dangerous dog restrictions.

Also, the dog owners are able to be sued for loss or trauma through civil means.

The law is adequate. The owner is punished (living under a dangerous dog order is no walk in the park)

Would we rather that the dog was automatically impounded and killed in retaliation?

Be careful what you wish for...

Edited by shel

Sorry as an animal owner that had a pet killed by neighbours dogs recently and has also been in the situation with neighbours dogs attacking horses, sheep and pet emus I am now under the belief if they are caught they will not make it back home. I am tired of irresponsible owners that have dogs that can chase or kill peoples pets and/or livelihood and have little repercussions. I am sick of catching peoples dogs and taking them home, their dogs are their responsibility, not mine. My responsibilty is for my family and my animals.

RIP little pony :crossfingers:

This sort of thing just adds to the compounding issue..

If people are left to get away with this sort of thing it only serves to heighten peoples views of dangerous dogs and breed discrimination.

From what the people are reported to have said after the attack do you think they will be responsible enough to comply with the dangerous dogs legislation? When they couldn't even be responsible in the first place and keep their dogs on their own property?

I feel so horrible that the people had to go through that. I myself have seen my own horse being chased through the paddock by feral dogs it was lucky my dad was there as I was only 7.

I really feel that common sense is a dying trait that people either don't have or can't be bothered to put into practice these days

--Lhok

Would we rather that the dog was automatically impounded and killed in retaliation?

No of course that's not what people would "rather" happened - no-one suggested it was. But killing in retaliation - well, like I said - that already happens. That's the issue and the problem.

I am talking about making OWNERS accountable when they fail to keep dogs on their own proeprty and/or under control. Especially dogs that are dangerous and have just killed someones animal. Just like all owners are responsible for their dogs doing stupid things whether in their own home or in someone elses backyard.

The point was that because very little is done in situations like this, people around here don't bother calling the authorities anymore and instead feel that their only option for keeping their farm animals safe is to KILL EVERY DOG on their property (and sometimes just NEAR it) on sight. So impounding and PTS etc isn't even on the horizon. They just grab a gun and shoot em. Sometimes they'll then call the dogs owner up and tell em they just shot their dog and to "come and take the dead dog off my property".

The law is NOT adequate - not in the slightest. Have you ever tried to launch a civil suit? It's no picnic. Most people don't bother - it's just more stress and financial risk and people just want to get on with things. It's even less likely that people will bother when they can see that the authorities don't take the events seriously enough - so they wonder - why would a magistrate??!!!

"Dangerous dog" notices are pretty useless around here too. No-body from the council bothers to enforce anything - our town isn't on their preferred travel route LOL So these sorts of measures are a joke.

Tough penalties for the owners are needed which involve money and possibly jail sentences - and those penalties need to be ROUTINELY enforced.

ANd I would be thrilled to see "dangerous/moronic OWNER" notices implemented. Much more appropriate IMHO

Totally agree with everything you said spottychick... people just feel helpless. A furry family member has died, there's nothing they can do, no one to help them, no justice - and to top it all off, they go to face the owners and have 'don't tell me your problems' attitude thrown in their face.

I tell you, the ranger would have had to hold me back if someone had given me an attitude like that (after their blood smeared dogs had just killed my pony)...

It seems that no one can do anything to protect their property and family these days. You ring the police and get the - do you have evidence - we can't do much - if we talk to them it will probably make it worse so best just to leave it - type mentality.

People are frustrated with the laws, and I can understand why.

I had an ex staff member whose GSD bitch had attacked and nearly killed their SWF (then gave swf away at a garage sale - luckily to another staff member who loves her), it then killed a swf which was walking on lead with it's elderly owner and then again attacked another swf that was being walked by it's owner. There has been NOTHING DONE about these owners or the dog, who is undesexed because they might have a litter because she has papers from a well known kennel :crossfingers:

3 dogs and their owners lives deeply affected due to irresponsible owners and how has any law done anything about it? Each attack (apart from on their dog) was reported too.

If a dog gets out and is reported for attacking, the owners are served with a dangerous dog order. The owners then have to secure it per all the dangerous dog restrictions.

Also, the dog owners are able to be sued for loss or trauma through civil means.

The law is adequate. The owner is punished (living under a dangerous dog order is no walk in the park)

If there is irrefutable evidence it was those dogs-then yes,it should be automatically impounded and euthanased,no appeal.

After seeing an old horse run into a fence by 2 german shepards and breaking two legs,staying with the old girl while they got the cops out and the sound of the old horse as she tried to get up,then her being shot-i have no compassion,sympathy for animals like these and they do not deserve to be around,whether contained or not.Sorry if that offends anyone with stock killing dogs.

My animals have the right to live safely on my property, dog owners have the responsibility to keep their dogs on their own property.

If my boy wandered onto another property and was shot, then that is my fault - not his or the property owner

We also had 30 head of poultry-all my pets,from turkeys through to ducks and purebred chooks,killed one night after dogs (kelpies) dug under the 8 ft high fence which was electrified.Some were still alive but had to be euthanased due to extreme injury.These dogs were routinely out in a pack from a nearby farm,no action was taken to keep them contained,so when they were next seen on the property,they were shot as there were very valuable Tb foals on the ground at the time.

I feel sorry for the dogs,it was the idiot farmer who was responsible for their deaths,my partner just carried out the penalty for his stupidity.

Unfortunately I think changing the law so that dogs don't have to be "caught in the act" leaves it all too open to neighbourhood fueds, misidentification and all that sort of thing. I have no issues with dogs being destroyed if caught in the act but imagine the situation if a random stranger could lean over the fence and shoot a dog in it's own backyard, claim it was chasing/killing stock - what would the penalty be if they were wrong? Not only an innocent cow/horse/sheep is dead but an innocent dog too.

There is no easy answer in law, but a really simple one in practice - keep your animals on your property :crossfingers:

If there is irrefutable evidence it was those dogs-then yes,it should be automatically impounded and euthanased,no appeal.

After seeing an old horse run into a fence by 2 german shepards and breaking two legs,staying with the old girl while they got the cops out and the sound of the old horse as she tried to get up,then her being shot-i have no compassion,sympathy for animals like these and they do not deserve to be around,whether contained or not.Sorry if that offends anyone with stock killing dogs.

Oh goodness, even the thought just turned my stomach. I have an old horse myself (and a very old boy who passed in 2006) - and can't bear to imagine what you went through. I'm really sorry... :crossfingers:

You've just described a dog that chases other animals. Not a stock killing dog.

And therein lays the problem.

Whose dog wouldn't chase and kill another animal. I have both, one I think probably wouldn't and one who I know would.

If I f*ck up and my dog gets out, chases and kills someones cat, I expect the council to be around on my door step slapping a dangerous dog order on me. I would also expect to be taken to small claims court for any veterinary fees by the cat owner... that's if I didn't go around, apologise and see if there was something I could do to begin to make amends.

Would my dog deserve to die? I think as long as it never, ever gets the chance to happen again, then no benefit comes from killing it. Am I a 'bogan' who would inflame the situation by being insensitive? No; but there's no law you can create that applies only to people who are insensitive bogans.

It's all very well waving pitchforks and baying for blood, but when you 'toughen up' these laws, they don't just target 'those horrible owners', but everyone equally.

Suddenly people who made a very grave error in losing their animal one day, are having their pet seized and destroyed. Which is fine unless it's you.

Edited by shel

In that instance no it's not fine that you get a slap on the wrist and a Dangerous Dog Order put on your dog because the person that has a dead pet because of YOUR animal will relive that attack every day because of YOUR carelessness. Going to court and getting a piddly bit of money does NOT take away that image or memory.

The life of a pony, cat or chicken is just as valuable to their owner as your dog that has got onto someone elses property. Even if your dog chases someones pet causing death or injury to me that is as bad as an attack. It is peoples attitude that think their pet who is responsible for these attacks are not at fault is what makes these situations so devastating to the victims. This is why property owners shoot stray dogs even if they are not near stock and I can't blame them.

This made me cry... How awful for the horse and for you.. I am glad the old girl wasn't alone even though it would have been so heart breaking for you..

You've just described a dog that chases other animals. Not a stock killing dog.

A dog that merely chases - does and can kill stock!

One and the same in my opinion.

The aftermath of 'just chasing' can be just as deadly.

Chasers don't get a second chance here.

Horrific. Someone around here lost their shihtzu when some guy let his son's staffy off leash in an off lead park. It savagely attacked the shihtzu without provocation and although the dog underwent several surgeries, they couldn't save it.

The guy paid $7,000 vet bills (and so he should) but I sincerely hope that the staffy concerned has been euthanased. The paper didn't say that but I really hope that is the case. Dogs like that are a menace.