Dogs Leave Pony For Dead, The Law On Side

tybrax

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you didn't allow your dogs to roam but that they escaped for whatever reason? A storm might blow a tree onto your fences, any number of things can happen we've seen it here loads of times. I'm not talking about repeat offenders or irresponsible owners I'm talking about a one off escape that could not be forseen. If a dog has a high prey drive it's highly likely it will chase something that looks like prey, I suppose the answer is that no one should ever have a dog with high prey drive if you don't want it shot if it ever escapes.

As are mine.

That is the chance we take if we live near livestock with dogs.

The fact that the dog was roaming through some freak event doesn't make the damage they cause any less a disaster for the owners of the livestock.

Unless you happen to know the dogs personally and it is obviously an out of character event, you don't have time to find out why they are creating mayhem in your paddock.

I have rung neighbours and warned them I have chased their dogs off and that they will be shot if they return, luckily it was daylight and the dogs were easily recognisable. One lot took my words very seriously and have been excellent about it all, another lot I think it will end in tears.

The dogs in question have been surrendered.

tybrax

Oh great. Well there's no surprise there. The moronic dog-owner cant even be bothered fixing his fencing etc and looking after his dogs properly. He has done the equivalent of "shoot" the problem and thinks that's all there is to it. And he's right as far as any repercussions go or any council action. The Council think they've fixed the problem and everyone's perfectly happy. Except maybe the pony's owner. They'll get a few weeks of not having to worry about aggressive dogs I guess, but that's about as positive as it gets for them.

So now he's free to go get a couple of other dogs and the whole thing starts all over again. Meanwhile those two dogs are being un-deservedly abandoned by their scummy owner and will probably be PTS. He should be banned from owning dogs IMHO

Poor dogs. Poor Pony and pony's owner. It's just tragic. The system doesn't work at all.

Losing a horse to a dog attack is a terrible ordeal.

Having gone through it before i am very sorry for this poor persons ponies.

We lost a weanling filly to a broken leg after being chased and attacked by dogs. Not to mention the injuries sustained by the other horses in the paddock as well.

Maybe the answer is getting a liccence to own a pet cat or dog, like a drivers licence with a test or something - hard to police I know, but imagine for example if you had to produce a pet licence to buy puppies or kittens at the pet shop, from breeders, pound, rescue etc.

it would certainly be harder to get a pet, and no spur of the moment purchases. So you would want to be a pet owner and understand the responsibilities before you could get a licence and a pet.... :thumbsup: . Just an idea, because you can create all the restrictions and regulations you like in punishing dumb arse loser pet owners who own problem pets - but it ain't going to fix the problem as they will ignore whatever penalty they are given.

Wouldn't it be easier to have more control who can own a pet instead of having to deal with morons who already have pets...

Maybe the answer is getting a liccence to own a pet cat or dog, like a drivers licence with a test or something - hard to police I know, but imagine for example if you had to produce a pet licence to buy puppies or kittens at the pet shop, from breeders, pound, rescue etc.

it would certainly be harder to get a pet, and no spur of the moment purchases. So you would want to be a pet owner and understand the responsibilities before you could get a licence and a pet.... :( . Just an idea, because you can create all the restrictions and regulations you like in punishing dumb arse loser pet owners who own problem pets - but it ain't going to fix the problem as they will ignore whatever penalty they are given.

Wouldn't it be easier to have more control who can own a pet instead of having to deal with morons who already have pets...

Some people who lose their driver's license just don't stop driving their because they have lost it...

I would imagine that just because they legally can't own a pet doesn't mean they won't try somehow it's just human nature.

--Lhok

Some people who lose their driver's license just don't stop driving their because they have lost it...

I would imagine that just because they legally can't own a pet doesn't mean they won't try somehow it's just human nature.

--Lhok

Well that's true of people who are banned from owning dogs or certain numbers of dogs under the existing system.

Just because some people will break the rules doesn't mean they are not worth considering and perhaps implementing. You wouldn't advocate not having driver's licenses just because some people drive without one!!

Having a license system would certainly make it more difficult for people to get a pet if they didn't have the required license. And you could have severe penalties associated with it (ie not just the slap on the wrist currently standard in dog abuse etc).

Hmm

How would you implement a license system? Would it be local, state or federal government? Who would be the ones enforcing the rules and regulations? would it be like the driving system L's then P's then full? and what about life experience? or would it be like the falconry system where you have to apprentice under someone for 3 years and then take a licensing test. What would happen if you failed it after all that time? Would certain breeds require a different license like the bird and reptile system here in Aust?

and say for example someone did lose their license and then a animal cruelty charge was placed against them and they refuse to pay the fine would jail time be an alternate?

I'm all for this if can and will stop attacks and animal cruelty cases. However I do not want even more legislation on top of the all the legislation that is currently out there (especially if it won't be/can't be heavily enforced.)

--Lhok

Personally I think a licensing system would be good, it wouldn't have to be any more difficult than getting a driver's license and the vast majority of people can do that. If it covers the basic requirements and responsibilities of owning an animal it can't hurt that's for sure, I was only speaking today to a friend of mine about how so many people own animals who don't have a basic understanding of animal nutrition.

It could be paid for by the licensing fees as well as fines for non-compliance, a national scheme would be best to ensure people can't dodge it by moving interstate.

ETA really would be quite easy to enforce if you have an animal and can't produce the license you would be instantly fined and your name would be red flagged so that the action could be followed up, similar to existing license systems. Many people who drive without a license are caught repeatedly because the police are keeping an eye out for them after the first time.

Edited by WoofnHoof

No way to a licensing system. We are way over governed as it is when it comes to permits and licenses. You can't go do a whole lot in this country these days without informing the government and/or council first and see if you are "allowed" to do it.

They just need to enforce the existing laws instead of bringing in anything new.

I don't see the harm in a licensing system it's only a matter of time before it's brought in anyway and I like the idea of people having to pass a basic animal care & responsibility test before they are allowed to own an animal. The current system where anyone can walk in and purchase an animal without having to know anything at all about basic animal care isn't helping animals and it's not helping the responsible owners either. The current system of laws doesn't encourage people to go out and learn the rules, they just keep doing the wrong thing until they get caught and then plead ignorance. I would much rather them have to pass a test in the first place so that they at least have a passing knowledge of what's required and they can't pretend they didn't know what their responsibilities were.

It wouldn't change a thing.

Idiots get driving licences yet still manage to drink drive, cause accidents and even worse kill other innocent people. Another licencing system for owning animals will do nothing except line the pockets of our fabulous government/council. Who would enforce it? The RSPCA? :(

I don't see the harm in a licensing system it's only a matter of time before it's brought in anyway and I like the idea of people having to pass a basic animal care & responsibility test before they are allowed to own an animal. The current system where anyone can walk in and purchase an animal without having to know anything at all about basic animal care isn't helping animals and it's not helping the responsible owners either. The current system of laws doesn't encourage people to go out and learn the rules, they just keep doing the wrong thing until they get caught and then plead ignorance. I would much rather them have to pass a test in the first place so that they at least have a passing knowledge of what's required and they can't pretend they didn't know what their responsibilities were.

Yeah - and it would be great to have kids doing the test and understanding what's involved BEFORE they get a puppy. :laugh: Bet lots of parents would appreciate that LOL

I can just see all the farmers lining up for a licence....

I should have also mention another draw back of a licensing system would be it couldn't only be for dogs, I mean with animal cruelty happening to more then just dogs you would have to go the whole hog and put a licensing system in place for all types of animals. This is because if the licensing system did put people off owning a dog they would only find another animal and the whole thing repeats but with another animal.

However I am interested in looking further into ideas on how to implement such a system, and the laws in which the system would operate because something has to be done and if this can create a brainstorming into how to prevent accidents like what happened to the pony, animal cruelty and animal attacks on people I would be all for it.

--Lhok

You could get one license and then different classes for the different animals, like how you can have a C class license as well as a HR license you don't have two licenses you just have both codes on the one license, D for dog, C for cat, L for livestock O for other something like that, then you can have a general test and add the relevant questions for each species into it. One learner's booklet for each animal type which covers basic nutrition, vet care and legal responsibilities. Farmers will whinge but really it's not it would be all that much of a strain on them their license could be classed as a business expense same as they have to get a firearms license or a driver's license.

The Livestock part of that has me a little concerned as on the land one farmer could be running a lot of different breeds of a particular animal (example: Cattle) or have multiple different animals (example: cattle, pigs and poultry). I know farmers would whinge a lot due to the amount of paperwork they would have to do each year concerning the animals they keep when they would rather be working the land. Just looking at this as a need to cover all bases type of thing.

--Lhok

True but it would only need to cover the basics, recognising body scores on main livestock species, adequate fencing requirements, making sure they are aware of parasite control etc realistically if the farmer knows what they are doing it should only take them 15 minutes max, could even be done online. It's really designed to make sure that people who don't already have the knowledge get there and learn enough to demonstrate that they can tell if a horse/cow is starving or needs vet treatment. It only needs to be basic because a lot of the mistakes we see people making are basic ones, people who don't recognise their animal is malnourished or that it needs worming or better fencing.

i have dogs,birds,chooks,guinea pigs and rabbits for the kids,as well as fish-i am not going to do an annual licence for each one.What about people/breeders with multiple animals,stud farms etc.The laws just need ENFORCING,not more stupid legislation.You cant licence peoples stupidity.

And too me,animals that are too fat etc come under welfare issues too-not just the malnourished ones.

I had a horse in the paddock next to me,that was starving,the girl came every 2-3 days to feed him a biscuit of hay(17 hh TB)she was a uni student ,her parents well educated and had gone to pony club for years.The horse ended up eating a gutful of acacia pods and getting colic,which i happened to notice early luckily,i informed them,they came down and said he was fine.He was sweating,restless,kicking at his gut,pawing,looking anxious-ALL THE CLASSIC SIGNS.I argued with them and they finally let me call the vet who treated him for colic :) ,she also told them he was severely underweight,bu tagain,they said he was fine and they would not increase his feed.What do you do with people like that???? All the licences in the world wont do any good-and she got accepted into the police force :laugh:

Edited by centitout