My Dog Stresses Me Out

I've had Shiro for a while now, and I've been trying to train him ever since... but somehow I just don't seem to see any results.

Seeing all my friend's dogs trained, then looking at Shiro makes me kind of depressed.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, he just doesn't seem to want to listen. When I take him for walks, he just runs ahead of me and pulls me along... I must be the worst dog owner. :thumbsup:

I just came back from a walk with Shiro, and he pulled me home... at the moment I'm feeling really bummed and just don't know what to do with him.

If you guys can give me any tips of training him the basic skills (sit, stay, down, drop) and walking him, I would really appreciate it!

EDIT: Or maybe I should take him to a dog training boarding school, know any good ones?

Edited by LostyJai

Do you go to any obedience school sessions?

They may be helpful in that they can show you the basics :thumbsup:

The BEST and most effective (tho not cheap) thing I can think of is to get a few private sessions with a good trainer (recommended thru here;) ) .

That way you have someone with you who can see exactly what the problem is, and give you the knowledge to fix it!

It is hard for online advice to be really exact, as we cannot see you and your dog walking - there are good experienced trainers on DOL, so advice will be worth having- but personal one-on-one training is the ideal!

:)

Do you go to any obedience school sessions?

They may be helpful in that they can show you the basics :thumbsup:

The BEST and most effective (tho not cheap) thing I can think of is to get a few private sessions with a good trainer (recommended thru here;) ) .

That way you have someone with you who can see exactly what the problem is, and give you the knowledge to fix it!

It is hard for online advice to be really exact, as we cannot see you and your dog walking - there are good experienced trainers on DOL, so advice will be worth having- but personal one-on-one training is the ideal!

:)

When I say Shiro doesn't do anything I want, I mean he won't do it unless I have treats for him (sometimes I regret getting a spitz, they seem to be so prissy).

If I have treats, he'll do sit, down... but I have to kind of guide him with the treat or he just won't do it.

What is DOL and how much are one-on-one personal trainers in Sydney?

Edited by LostyJai

DOL = Dogzonline = this forum :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with using food to train with - you just need to know how to phase it out! I compete with my Dally in obedience and agility and just about use only food because he's not interested in much else.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a trainer - can you give us an idea of your general location?

DOL = Dogzonline = this forum :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with using food to train with - you just need to know how to phase it out! I compete with my Dally in obedience and agility and just about use only food because he's not interested in much else.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a trainer - can you give us an idea of your general location?

I'm located near Hurstville. I just had a look at the "K9 Obedience Training - Sydney Australia" and they seem to look quite good, has anyone had any past experiences with them?

I think what I really need is just somebody to come have a look at Shiro, let me know what I'm doing wrong and how I should be training him. Really I just need some guidance, like my Shiro.

You need to head to a club or have one on one sessions to have someone help guide you :thumbsup:

I reccomend a couple of things:

Luci Ellem Obedience Training on Monday nights in Austral....it's typically a good drive for most people well worth it

http://www.camarna.com/contactus.htm

Personal one on one Training that can come to you

Premier Dog Training

Craig Murray

0408 113 874

You need to head to a club or have one on one sessions to have someone help guide you :thumbsup:

Luci Ellem Obedience Training on Monday nights in Austral....it's typically a good drive for most people well worth it

Premier Dog Training

Craig Murray

0408 113 874

Unfortunately Carmarna is like 1-2 hours drive for me. I will probably need the trainer to come to my house and give me tips.

Hello. This is my very first post, and I'm posting because I have EXACTLY the same problem as you with my 7-month old Samoyed, Buffy. This morning I had a woman walking her golden retriever tell me to take my dog elsewhere because she was very annoying (she gets too excited and tries to lunge at other dogs and people). I always try to take Buffy to one side when I see other people approaching, but she will try to pull towards them, and after they have left she will jump at at me, try to bite me, and give out high pitched barks. I'm also at my wits end, and have contacted a few dog trainers in Melbourne, but they all seem to combine discipline with positive reinforcement, while I'm trying to find one who will use only gentle training methods. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I'm also in desperate need of help. I think my stress is causing Buffy to stress, and that's where her behavioral problems arise, yet I haven't been able to use any methods to alleviate her worries. Any suggestions or recommendations for trainers would be greatly appreciated. I hope we can both eventually tackle this problem...

I suggest seeing a trainer 1:1 and getting advice on how to train your dog - all dogs are different.

I really struggled when I took my boy to an obedience club. They only taught via luring and he didn't respond to it at all. When he finally did I struggled to get off the luring. We basically stopped learning anything.

I then went to see a trainer for one session and she helped me with a range of training techniques and motivations for my dog. It was well worth the cost.

Steve from K9Force is often recommended here. I suggest you prioritise what you want fixed first before seeing a trainer - it will help them focus on the things that are most useful to you.

Don't despair - many of us have hit brick walls with their dogs, it will make your accomplishments feel 1000 times bigger.

Hello. This is my very first post, and I'm posting because I have EXACTLY the same problem as you with my 7-month old Samoyed, Buffy. This morning I had a woman walking her golden retriever tell me to take my dog elsewhere because she was very annoying (she gets too excited and tries to lunge at other dogs and people). I always try to take Buffy to one side when I see other people approaching, but she will try to pull towards them, and after they have left she will jump at at me, try to bite me, and give out high pitched barks. I'm also at my wits end, and have contacted a few dog trainers in Melbourne, but they all seem to combine discipline with positive reinforcement, while I'm trying to find one who will use only gentle training methods. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I'm also in desperate need of help. I think my stress is causing Buffy to stress, and that's where her behavioral problems arise, yet I haven't been able to use any methods to alleviate her worries. Any suggestions or recommendations for trainers would be greatly appreciated. I hope we can both eventually tackle this problem...

If you are in Melbourne there are quite a few excellent trainers here on DOL in that area - Erny, Cosmolo, Keplie-i and Nekhbet are all in VIC.

http://www.prok9.com.au/

http://www.underdogtraining.com.au

Keeping in mind that there is nothing wrong with discipline - 'negative reinforcement' can be anything as simple as a vocal correction like 'ah ah' or a removal of a reward :offtopic:

Japanese Spitz are very intelligent, but can also be very stubborn. I definately agree with the idea of some obedience lessons, or a professional behaviourist :o

Typical spitz breed!! :offtopic:

If you can't make the trip out to see anyone, I would recommend joining an obedience club. It's a shame you're not closer to us - we go to hills district at castle hill. If it makes you feel better, 2 years ago Zero was a nightmare (before we saw Steve at k9Force) and now we're at obedience training every week to the point where I can have Zero off a leash at training and not worry about it.

You need to head to a club or have one on one sessions to have someone help guide you :rofl:

Premier Dog Training

Craig Murray

0408 113 874

Unfortunately Carmarna is like 1-2 hours drive for me. I will probably need the trainer to come to my house and give me tips.

It's a one hour drive for us too, a lot of people travel 2 hours for her classes...she's that's good....I guess it depends on how frustrated you are :rolleyes:

LostyJai and Keroppiyo you both have Spitz breeds which means intelligence but a will of their own.

Which methods have either of you used to train your dogs to walk correctly so far?

What other basic training have you do with your dogs?

I also reccomend seeing a professional too.

Breed is irrelevant when it comes to basic training.

I have one of the dumbest most stubborn breeds but they have absolutely fine basic training, the younger one is at an advanced level.

It's just education and getting help from those who are experienced enough to give it to you....but you kinda have to be willing to go out of your way to get to the best people ya know :laugh:

Edited by sas

It's a one hour drive for us too, a lot of people travel 2 hours for her classes...she's that's good....I guess it depends on how frustrated you are :confused:

Wow... THAT good eh? Maybe I should go check it out. Is it a one day/evening thing or once every week for a few weeks?

LostyJai and Keroppiyo you both have Spitz breeds which means intelligence but a will of their own.

Which methods have either of you used to train your dogs to walk correctly so far?

What other basic training have you do with your dogs?

I also reccomend seeing a professional too.

I've been watching the Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan, so I make a loop with my leash and have it at the top of the neck. Everytime he pulls I give a tug to get him to stop (but he still continues to pull after walking again)... so far I've only used this method for the last 3 walks, so we'll see over time.

Basically just with treats to get him to do what I want, but if I don't have treats he just doesn't seem to want to listen or look at my like "what do you want me to do?".

Really need to get some one on one training.