Renting With A Dog?

Naomi

And for your protection, I'd make sure you have a VERY thorough condition report, and take photos of every area of the house and garden when you move in, with dates. Don't just rely on what the property manager gives you, they can be totally inaccurate or not specific enough. If you're unlucky you may end up with a landlord trying to claim for damage/wear and tear that wasn't caused by you, just because you have a dog!

Thanks! This is good advice and I'll definitely keep this in mind. :D

I hate to be the misery-guts here but considering you haven't owned a dog before, and you haven't rented before, could you perhaps wait?

...are you really not wanting to enjoy the fun part of first moving out of home?

Errrm, probably not. :D I've been itching to own a dog my whole life and I feel it's a good time now. No better time than the present. I have enjoyed the experience of moving away from the parents... sort of. I've been living with my partner and his parents for a while. So in a roundabout way, I've experienced the novelty of that first fun part. :D

To be honest, I find it harder here due to meetign the agents, but we were really lucky with our current house as I managed to meet the LL directly and if you can do first impressions that always helps. No good if its an agent though.

I quite fancy a move though and have been looking at houses and there seem to be plenty out there that are dog friendly at the moment.

Good luck

Thanks. Hopefully I don't have to rely too much on luck. But I guess a lot of it might be chance. You can only be so prepared and as for the rest, well the control isn't in your hands. Good luck with your house hunting!

Personally I wouldn't rent with a dog unless you have someone you can fall back on who can reliably take your dog in an emergency for a few weeks (or you can afford kennel fees for that period).

I hear so many stories about dogs having to be rehomed because tenants are being forced to move and they can't find a dog-friendly property. :laugh:

I agree with this. We were looking for about 5months for a place that would allow us to have a dog. We didnt have a dog at the time and weren't desperate to leave where we were so we were able to take our time. But was still surprised at how long it took as we were out looking each weekend and i was checking online for new properties every day.

I think the only reason we got our current place is because we offered $10 more a week in rent. We were overlooked originally but we offered the increase we got it.

And for your protection, I'd make sure you have a VERY thorough condition report, and take photos of every area of the house and garden when you move in, with dates. Don't just rely on what the property manager gives you, they can be totally inaccurate or not specific enough. If you're unlucky you may end up with a landlord trying to claim for damage/wear and tear that wasn't caused by you, just because you have a dog!

I agree with this as well, make sure you mark everything you can on the condition report, and yes take photos, but be sure to use a film camera not a digital one. I dont know if it has changed but when i worked in real estate (about 6 years ago) the courts wouldnt accept digital photos as they can be too easily manipulated. It may have changed since then, and chances are courts rarely get involved but if you have dispute about damage it is better to have photo on you team then just words on a page.

Good luck and i hope you find something soon!

I've rented with dogs many years ago and found that a small dog is easier to get past an agent than a large breed.

Most lease agreements are standard issue and you will sign a legally binding contract that states "No Pets". Be careful.

We found it easier to rent privately directly through the owners than with an agent. An owner is more likely to be sympathetic than an agent.

A friend thought she had it all worked out when her parents bought her a unit when they moved interstate (yeah! I know! Investment I guess) and the Body Corporate said it would be okay for her to have their JRT. A year on she was approached by the Body Corporate and told the dog must go. They sold the Town House.

U will get rejected abit but definately tell realestate u already hav a dog that way they don't hav reason to kick u out once u get one And double check the written agreement that a dog is listed,. I took awhile to find a place that was decent when I was looking I already hav a dog but knew I was getting another In 6 months so I put down that I already have 2 well behaved dogs .all rental forms I filled in had clause dogs only allowed outside . Which is a pain only when u hav inspections and having to drag beds ect outside for the day but if my dogs were not well behaved they would be outside all the time and not that I needed it but I hav heard many times that if ur having trouble getting a place offer the realestate a dog bond in addition to the rental bond usually the same amount it gives the landlord better peace of mind that there house isn't going to get destroyed by the dogs

goodluck

Check this out for lucky. My mum is moving to Melbourne and she currently is not even in the country.

Emailed about a house and said she had a dog, got it. Hasnt met the landlord or the agent but they gave her the house immediately. First house she applied for.

So it does happen LOL