How Much Chocolate Is Too Much?

So the peroxide isnt even diluted?? just a spoon full/weight?

Yep im sure that would make anything throw up. :eek:

Id be asking a vet to do that though, what are the side effects?

(any news Jentil?)

Edited by Jintanut

Just a note that the dose of peroxide should not exceed 3 tablespoons in any dog (the published dosage I found for clinical use are comparatively higher) and preferably preceded by some food.

Using peroxide isn't without risks - but in a lot of cases is outweighed by the potential for toxicity from what has been ingested. If it's going to be used, I'd like a vet to be involved at some point. The possible side effects are gastric and mucosal irritation with the potential for ulceration and sloughing - since it induces vomiting through mild gastric irritation rather than acting centrally (ie. influencing regions of the brain to cause vomiting).

Edited by Rappie

Relax Anne I wasn't having a go at you.

It may have been a fantastic antiseptic but there are better antiseptics out there now.

I don't need to research, I know it is tissue damaging, and have seen many other Vets cringe at the thought of using it.

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

ALL OK!! :D

EXACT calculations are 306g of chocolate potentially eaten - 95 grams was left laying in bits and pieces (and they are still sniffing betweet the lounge cushions - hmmm ;) Leaving 211g ...

VET SAYS: 200 grams of Cadbury chocolate for a 5kg dog warrants induced vomiting. Chico definatley has SOME though Amelie had most. She is about 5.5kg... should be ok :rofl:

Will keep an eye on both of them anyways...

FYI - 1.5-2mL of Ipecac per Kg of dog to induce vomiting.

And sorry I took so long to reply - I was munching the Sunday Roast that we fled five minutes before it was ready :) to check on my mother who was on the verge of taking to hospital :rofl: AND THEN I had to clean up the glass of wine I sent flying across the kitchen :rofl:

:rofl:

Good night all! THANKYOU EVER O MUCH FOR YOUR SUPER FAST REPLIES AND SUPPORT!! :eek:

Have heard about ipecac syrup - not sure how it stand in terms of being in favour at the moment. It sure works (I got threatened with it once when I was a kid) but is difficult to use for re-dosing and can have some cardiac side effects.

Glad everything is sorted and everyone is ok :eek:

Hydrogen peroxide is what a lot of people use here to induce vomiting in dogs. A tablespoon usually does the trick. Apomorphine is great to keep around if your vet will let you have some. Just a tiny tablet under the eyelid and the dog will usually puke in a few minutes.

Hope all goes well with your dogs! :eek:

Susie

Thats ok anne, i can see how I was easily missunderstood. I wasnt being nasty at all, not for 1 second.

Anne weve been chatting in the dogs forums for ages, you have been giving me advise since I 1st got Jinta, in another forum, I KNOW your a dog lover, and also quite knowledgeable. Your advise has helped me so much in the past. :D

I have a bad habit of typing what id actually say, and it reads differently to the voice., and lacks body lanuage....we all are missunderstood sometimes. :eek:

OOhh On the peroxide for wounds thing it is FABULOUS!!!

I am allergic to most sterilisers & cleaners used for wounds & piercings etc (including metho) and was told to use Peroxide as an alternative. It cleans very well and helps to heal and stop infections. Does fizz and disolve any scabs, bloods, piss etc But definately doesn't burn.

SOOOO Glad to hear they are going to be fine Jentil

Jadey :shrug:

:D We're now very relieved! Last night we were torn between panic, anger and hysterical laughing fits :p Still am!

The image of walking in the door to see Chico with a twirl sticking out each side of his mouth and Amelie trying to tackle him for it was just too funny :shrug:

The chocolate, wrappers and bits of biscuit strewn through two carpeted rooms and on the lounge ;) ;) Thankfully none of it was ground in (yet).

Realising the amount consumed :)

(sounds like a mastercard ad)

Have to say I'd be very wary of using (injesting) peroxide! Not for me if I can ever help it.

Amelie has done nothing but sleep all day today but she's happy enough to run and play when prompted. She's probably not feeling too good :rofl: sucked in little terror :rofl: Poor bub!