Liberal Senator Helen Kroger Injured In Dog Attack

The Spotted Devil

Linky

Liberal senator Helen Kroger injured in dog attack

Victorian senator Helen Kroger is recovering in hospital after being mauled by her neighbour's fox terrier outside her home in Melbourne's inner east.

Senator Kroger - who suffered a bite to her face and injuries to her fingers in the dog attack - will undergo surgery tonight for an eight-centimetre gash to her leg.

Speaking from her hospital bed today, she said she looked "a bit like an Egyptian mummy" and would miss at least one week of Parliament.

"(The dog) did latch onto my jaw but I managed to get her off ... I've got a good bite mark there," she told Radio 3AW.

"It crushed my little finger on the left hand so I've got stitches holding that together and my thumb from the same hand."

Senator Kroger, the former Victorian state president of the Liberal Party and the ex-wife of Liberal powerbroker Michael Kroger, had returned to her Hawthorn home on Thursday when her neighbour's fox terrier ran under the fence to play with her two dogs.

"My dogs attacked it because it was in their front yard," Ms Kroger said.

"I picked up the little dog, of course it was terrified."

She described her first dog as an "an RSPCA special" that she had owned for 10 years.

"It's meant to be a Rhodesian Ridgeback-cross but it's got lots of different varieties in it. The other is a rotty (Rottweiler)," she said.

"I was belting them over the head with my shoes ... unsuccessfully, and one thought it was a bit of fun and was just playing, and the other the hunting instincts set in, and what can I say? It's terrible."

Despite the attack, Senator Kroger said she did not harbour any bad feelings towards the dog and did not want it put down.

"It's one of those things. I'm a real dog lover, I love animals. I was as upset about my dogs trying to attack it as what I was with it attacking me," she said.

"You can't think about the worst-case scenario.

Senator Kroger said she had a "great plastic surgeon, who I've only just met", and was recovering well.

"It just means I'll be watching question time from my hospital bed rather than from the chamber," she said.

Ouch! :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brave lady, good on her for trying to save the foolish little Foxy. Dogs' do desperate things under duress (in this case in combat) and under other circumstances the rescued dog would probably never dream of biting a person.

I was once minding an ancient, blind, deaf and very cranky old min Poodle. He hated all other dogs and was only ever out to wander around the garden by himself. One day a family member arrived with a car load of visiting dogs and they all happily poured through the garden gate en masse as they always did. Their joy turned to HEY! when they saw a strange dog - I quickly scooped Mr Prickle up to put him safely back in his yard but he had sensed the pack and was in high fear/aggression mode. Luckily he was small enough to hold at arms length, supported under his chest and gripped firmly by the scruff to face the sharp bits away from me - his closest target!! ;)

Boy was I glad when he eventually went home.

Hope the senator heals well and soon and hope in future the irresponsible owners keep their feisty little dog home and under control. :eek:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/senat...0-1225833132583

"The neighbour's dog has since died from the significant injuries it suffered during the fight, she said.

"It's one of those things that you don't want to happen, but it does and I'm just sorry for all concerned."

"I really feel for the neighbour."

A Boroondora Council spokeswoman said that animal control bylaws would still apply in this case, even though the fatal dog attack occurred on private property.

The council could take action against Ms Kroger if a complaint is received or one of its officers observed the incident. No complaint has been lodged at this time.

Senator Kroger - who is currently recovering in the Epworth Freemasons Hospital - missed parliament today and said she would watch question time from her hospital bed.""

THIS IS HOW ANTI DOG WE HAVE BECOME

H

"The neighbour's dog has since died from the significant injuries it suffered during the fight, she said.

"It's one of those things that you don't want to happen, but it does and I'm just sorry for all concerned."

A Boroondora Council spokeswoman said that animal control bylaws would still apply in this case, even though the fatal dog attack occurred on private property.

The council could take action against Ms Kroger if a complaint is received or one of its officers observed the incident. No complaint has been lodged at this time.

Senator Kroger - who is currently recovering in the Epworth Freemasons Hospital - missed parliament today and said she would watch question time from her hospital bed.""

H

What was a Rotty and RB cross doing loose in her front yard anyway? What if a child had come past and tried to swing on her fence? Would the dogs have lunged at that intruder too?

At the end of the day it's not how DA some breeds are, it's the damage certain breeds are capable of doing if something provokes them.

And before you ask:

She described her first dog as an "an RSPCA special" that she had owned for 10 years.

"It's meant to be a Rhodesian Ridgeback-cross but it's got lots of different varieties in it. The other is a rotty (Rottweiler)," she said.

Edited by Mum to Emma

H

What was a Rotty and RB cross doing loose in her front yard anyway? What if a child had come past and tried to swing on her fence? Would the dogs have lunged at that intruder too?

At the end of the day it's not how DA some breeds are, it's the damage certain breeds are capable of doing if something provokes them.

And before you ask:

The dogs attacked another dog that invaded their yard, that does not mean they will bite a child, how many times does it have to be said.

Every time a dog fight or DA thread appears we have the same comments.

It matters not what breed the dogs were, another dog entered their yard. I'm not sure what the point is mentioning the breeds in your post.

My small dogs wouldn't take kindly to a strange dog crawling under my fence, they certainly are not child eaters, same goes for my 40 kg boy.

On neutral ground or supervised it could have been a very different story.

H

And before you ask:

The dogs attacked another dog that invaded their yard, that does not mean they will bite a child, how many times does it have to be said.

It matters not what breed the dogs were, another dog entered their yard. I'm not sure what the point is mentioning the breeds in your post.

My small dogs wouldn't take kindly to a strange dog crawling under my fence, they certainly are not child eaters, same goes for my 40 kg boy.

Big dogs - if provoked - are capable of doing more damage than little dogs. It's that simple. And that's why I mentioned it. The owners of big dogs (irrespective of breed) should appreciate this and take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today (ie the small dog died).

BTW "Her other injuries [aside from the scratches on her face] included crushed fingers on both hands and a deep gouge to her leg." The last of these would no doubt have been the result of her own dogs' actions. But she's not going to admit to that, is she?

Edited by Mum to Emma

H

And before you ask:

Big dogs - if provoked - are capable of doing more damage than little dogs. It's that simple. And that's why I mentioned it. The owners of big dogs (irrespective of breed) should appreciate this and take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today (ie the small dog died).

I am curious as to what sort of dog you have Mum to Emma as I remember a thread a while ago where you were getting the boot in about Greyhounds/sighthounds and how they are capable of dangerous behaviours now you have moved your bias against all big dogs :laugh:

The dogs were in their own yard and the woman was bitten by the little terrier(RIP little guy) this doesn't mean the big dogs are DA it was just a tragic accident and one dog dead is enough surely we dont want the media to whip up a public outcry for the other two dogs to be killed as well.

Remember Mum to Emma if people like you get your way, bsl will end up banning dogs altogether. You may not like big dogs but once they are all banned what breeds will be next.

Mum to Emma

What was a Rotty and RB cross doing loose in her front yard anyway?

How do you know they were loose in her front yard? The report says the Foxie got in under her fence.

The owners of big dogs (irrespective of breed) should appreciate this and take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today (ie the small dog died).

The owner of these big dogs had them in her yard and the little dog got in under the fence. How in all of this do you get that she didnt 'take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today' as you put it?

BTW "Her other injuries [aside from the scratches on her face] included crushed fingers on both hands and a deep gouge to her leg." The last of these would no doubt have been the result of her own dogs' actions. But she's not going to admit to that, is she?

You know this how?

I have had a crushed finger - the middle joint is now two pieces of bone touching together

multiple lacerations

joint fluid oozing into tissue

both hands bleeding

a gash in my neck

From. A. Cat.

Trust me the little ones can do a HELL of a lot of damage. Have you seen what a fox terrier can do to an animal many times its size?

The owners of big dogs (irrespective of breed) should appreciate this and take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today (ie the small dog died).

How about I turn that around - the owners of all dogs should appreciate this and take appropriate care to avoid a situation as happened today by making sure their dogs don't get into another's yard uninvited.

That's what started the situation.

Mum To Emma....

since when should those of us who own big dogs not be permitted to have them in our front yards??? the dogs did not jump a fence or such like but rather the neighbours dog dug under their fence. I have been in a situation where a strange dog dug into my property and was behaving agressively to my dogs ( the strange dog was a pomeranian) my pitbull juts looked at hiom amnd walked away.. but the divine miss sophie ( wolfie x Dane) was having none of it and attempted to run the dog out but Alfie leaped at her .. he was tossed inthe air and I yelled, he hit the ground and i grabbed him.. the little sod bit thru my hand( twice) and then tried to have another go at Miss Sophie.. Luckily Alfie survived but it sure was not due to his common sense or that of his owner.

my neighbour thought it was very funny and made no attempt to improve his fencing so i spent approx $2000.00 to chicken wire the entier boundary beteen our properties.

surely the owner of the trespassing dog has soem responsibility to containhis dog????

i willalso add that as far as damages is concerned many years ago i was bitten by a maltese.. had nearly 20 stitches in my lower leg and the little sod had bitten to the bone.

how much damage would that dog have done to a child or someone who was frail aged??? he too was not in his yard.

H

I think the spokesperson for the council, if quoted correctly, is off the mark. If the original report is correct, the foxy dug under the fence, and was in the yard with two properly contained dogs who lived there.

Or are there more wacky laws in this shire too?

Sad about the senator, and sad about the foxy too.

Mum to Emma - dog aggression does not equal human agression. These two dogs were protecting their territory from an intruding dog. Dogs can actually differentiate between dogs and people.

Big dogs certainly can do more damage than little dogs, but the vast majority of them never bother. Dogs which bite are dogs with a problem, or dogs which are put into certain situations. Big dogs (and little dogs) don't randomly travel around looking for people or dogs to bite. It's an unusual thing.

Mum to Emma, all i can add to the responses that your post has conjured up is that i hope you can take some of the comments on board in your judgement of all dogs (big or small).

Sad the foxy died and that someone was injured, it seems everyday now that accidents are happening.

Accidents like this have been happening every day for years- its just that now they are being reported.

Mum to Emma, i am really shocked at your comments.. Small dogs can and do alot of damage too- the most significant scars on my OH's arm were from a 12 week old puppy- not a large dog!!

Poor little dog. Sadly, it may be poor big dogs too... and all because they did what was natural and normal for a dog... the whole 3 of them. :champagne:

Can we please go back to allowing dogs to be dogs and stop trying to turn them into controlled and model citizens. They're animals for chissakes.

Edited by ~Anne~

Other than containing her dogs in their own yard, as was the case here, what steps would you suggest the Senator should have taken? :champagne:

My friend's Miniature Poodle put 20 stitches in her arm. If you think a Fox Terrier, bred to tackle and kill foxes, isn't capable of inflicting that kind of damage, you are sorely mistaken. An aquaintance of mine required microsurgery to repair his hands after breaking up a fight between two Cocker Spaniels.

The best set of teeth I've EVER seen on a dog belong to a Skye Terrier. Not a large breed in height but they sure make up for it in jaw strength and tenacity. A hell of a package in a dog that looks like a cuddly toy.

Skye_Terrier_9W081D-010.jpg

skye-terrier.jpg

Edited by poodlefan