Liberal Senator Helen Kroger Injured In Dog Attack

The Spotted Devil

I have 'farm fencing' where my dogs can't get out but a small dog could fit though the gaps if it chose to do so. If something happened on my property is it my fault because I didn't build a small dog proof fence even though I don't have one? Absolutely not, if a dog roams into my yard, though my fence and my dogs do something (which I doubt they would) that dogs owner is at fault for not restraining thier dogs, it is not my fault that my dogs were contained and thiers was loose.

As long as your fence is in good repair & secure enough to keep your dogs in, you most certainly are guilt free, as are your dogs.

When two wayward cats ventured into my backyard over a few years & met an untimely death, I was worried that if an owner complained about the incident, what would it mean for Kenny & myself so I rang the Ranger. He said nothing would happen, because I had a secure yard & the cats were intruders. Not long after a Husky X jumped my 7ft side fence into my backyard, fortunately Kenny was inside. It jumped back over the fence when I went to investigate the noise & I became very worried what would happen if it did it when Kenny was outside. Again the Ranger said nothing, as I had taken all precautions & the other dog was the intruder.

We should not have to cage our dogs because of irresponsible owners, how about educating people on responsible dog ownership instead & make harsher penalties for irresponsible morons.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All dog owners are obliged to comply with the laws and it's when they fail in their duty, things go wrong. If the owners of the poor little Foxy kept their dog contained properly, it would still be alive. I can't see any relevence in this instance to do with big and small dogs :thumbsup:

Edited by Longcoat

Just a thought, I wonder if this woman could be one to have on-side regarding the latest legislation issues??? If she's a doggy person..... anyone have any contacts??

She's a Senator, the only legislation I have seen people concerned about lately is all state so why would she be relevant? The only Commonwealth dog legislation I am aware of is the import bans. But if you want to contact her all her details will be on aph.gov.au (parliament house site)

I don't want to contact her at the moment (nothing to say), but figure it's handy to know who's a dog-nut and who's not in the political World for future reference. I did not know she was federal, please forgive my ignorance.

Virtually all BSL is based on Federal Government Import restrictions banning breeds banned from importation into Australia. Lift them and BSL ends overnight. Senator Kroger could be the poster girl for deed not breed. Remains to be seen if she has the courage to take on the role or just be another party hack.

Another post that is very damaging to your cause.

This topic is about a dog owner that has failed to contained their dog in their yard, not BSL.

You'll need to convince a hell of a lot more than just one member of parliament and the emphasis is on the word "convince". Not throw out a challenge in one sentence and follow it up with an insult.

Just a thought, I wonder if this woman could be one to have on-side regarding the latest legislation issues??? If she's a doggy person..... anyone have any contacts??

She's a Senator, the only legislation I have seen people concerned about lately is all state so why would she be relevant? The only Commonwealth dog legislation I am aware of is the import bans. But if you want to contact her all her details will be on aph.gov.au (parliament house site)

I don't want to contact her at the moment (nothing to say), but figure it's handy to know who's a dog-nut and who's not in the political World for future reference. I did not know she was federal, please forgive my ignorance.

Virtually all BSL is based on Federal Government Import restrictions banning breeds banned from importation into Australia. Lift them and BSL ends overnight. Senator Kroger could be the poster girl for deed not breed. Remains to be seen if she has the courage to take on the role or just be another party hack.

Another post that is very damaging to your cause.

This topic is about a dog owner that has failed to contained their dog in their yard, not BSL.

You'll need to convince a hell of a lot more than just one member of parliament and the emphasis is on the word "convince". Not throw out a challenge in one sentence and follow it up with an insult.

I agree it was, until another dog person put all the blame on big dogs, that is what fuels BSL, let's stop putting the blame on size, or breeds of dogs & put it where it belongs, stupid, irresponsible owners. Then all dogs can live in peace, like they used to.

I went for a walk this evening, with my Border Terrier (9kilo) and Collie smooth (about 23kg but quite large/tall). While waiting outside the pizza shop for our order, my guys were being fussed over by a few members of the public, both having a great time and being very friendly. Anyway, along came a smaller dog (maybe 6 kilo, looked like a JRT size), it was heaving, snarling choking itself on the end of it's leash as it passed us. It was at the end of a 6 foot nylon lead :hug: fortunately my guys both wagged their tails at it, but it got within a foot of mine, due to it's idiot owner, and honestly, if mine were not so well trained it could have ended very badly :rofl:

I'm sorry but as both a small and medium/large dog owner (and even when I had my 70 kg Newfy and 30kg Dobe), i was and still feel afraid to walk my dogs because of what may happen to them. Small dogs CAN AND DO cause damage to others. As I posted earlier, my small terrier caused the collie to be lame for 2 days with just bruising. Imagine what she could have done if we didn't intervene in time!!!!!

Front yard or no, if it's on your own friggen' property you should be able to do wht you like with your own dogs and NOT have to worry about what may happen if your idiot neighbours allow their dog to roam. It is the small dog who should have been contained (we have secure fences but I choose to crate my terriers inside so they cannot escape accidentally. EVER.)

Front yard or no, if it's on your own friggen' property you should be able to do wht you like with your own dogs and NOT have to worry about what may happen if your idiot neighbours allow their dog to roam. It is the small dog who should have been contained (we have secure fences but I choose to crate my terriers inside so they cannot escape accidentally. EVER.)

Well done to you being responsible. :hug:

Being a big dog owner, I keep Kenny inside just in case some irresponsible owner of any size dog, let's it wander & get into my backyard, because I know who the authorities & media will blame. :rofl:

Edit: Still waiting for Mum to Emma to say what dogs she has, I have a fair idea, just waiting for confirmation.

Edited by mantis