Is Seafood Ok?

Roudy

I give my dogs the occasional tinned salmon or tuna(when I feel rich) and tinned sardines...

They LOVE whole, fresh sardines too (but my cat doesn't :shrug: )... they don't really like other types of fish... I tried a few but they just didn't like it as much...

Seafood is good for dogs but I will leave it for the nutrition and diet people to say why exactly as I am not an expert and not about to become one ;) I will leave it for the pro's!

Cheers :)

yes, I agree seafood is fantastic and is full of Omega oils too, we give our sardines once a week, any left over fish from the table etc. I dont' know about prawns and the like, as we never have any as left overs, lol, but the dogs have broken into a bait bag or two when we have gone fishing and never been ill

Mine often get the homebrand tinned sardines (about 50cents a tin) and totally love them.

Occasionally get fish heads/offal if I'm cooking fish.... as well as prawn heads/shells if I've been peeling them (raw!)

Never had any hint of side effects.... I so hope that this is OK to feed them!

My two get the homebrand sardines or mackeral in oil once or twice a week. They also got a xmas dinner of some leftover cooked king prawns (I took off the heads) - they looooved them :)

I feed raw and know that some people feed their dogs whole salmon heads etc. I haven't been brave enough to do this yet.... the thoughts of those fish eyes popping across the floor somehow gross me out! LOL :shrug:

My two dogs are on "Eagle Pack" dry food & the variety is samon, sardine & anchovy. The only concern I would have is the salt content of smoked salmon, but in small amounts it should be fine i think. Once i put some cured salmon (nice big chuncks) on crakers on the coffee table for myself of course & I got distracted for about 30 seconds & they were gone!

My dog get raw whole fish every so often. Yes head and guts etc.

I cut it for him into smaller pieces and sometimes he leaves the head uneaten, but the body is consumend in no time.

I buy whatever is the cheepes - blackfish, mackrel, whiting. Squid/octopus/calamari is also loved and good for them.

Along with canned fish of course.

Hello caslero :thumbsup:

Fish :D is my stafford's favourite. Whole fish after fishing trips, fish skin, fish guts :eek: , tinned fish of any kind. I stick to less salty kinds ie no anchovies (altho he has been known to sneak pizza crusts with anchovies smeared all over them).

Krash actually goes fishing at the beach... he will spend hours rounding up bait fish in rock pools, when he catches them he flicks them out onto the rocks (we have to find them and put them back in the water...they seem ok, he uses his lips instead of his teeth...how bizarre!)

I think prawns etc have cholesterol...can dogs have cholesterol probs? I guess they'd never have too many prawns or crayfish though...doh! too many $$$

j :eek:

Hi Myszka :eek: Will have to try some whole fresh fish with the gang here and see how they go.... they had tinned mackeral with their chicken backs tonight... gotta looove that fishy breath! :D

Caffiend42 - there were only leftover prawns for the dogs as I think we all had OD'd on them by that time - my husband and I bought over 2kgs of the things for the in-law's xmas dinner, only to find that most of his family didn't like prawns! (what the!?!). Hubby and I had no choice but to help put those prawns out of their misery :eek:

btw - my dogs are both supplemented with Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM. Glucosamine is also called chitosamine, and is a natural substance that is found in the covering of shellfish..... maybe those prawns aren't such a bad thing! :D

I have never had the slightest hint of a problem with raw fish bones with my two... again, I NEVER would feed them cooked bones which are likely to be very sharp and possibly dangerous as with any cooked bone.

My boy gets half a tin of homebrand sardines/mackerel/tuna in oil for breakfast with is kibble and absolutely loves it - actually licks the bowl clean!! which he doesnt do with his veggies for dinner!!!

the homebrand stuff is usually pretty cheap and i dont think theyre that fussy!!

I have a fur-kid with food alergies, so I regularly include Homebrand sardines and tuna in his BARF-type diet.

However, I give him sardines and tuna in springwater, not oil.

Which does everyone think is better - springwater or oil - and why?

All advice appreciated.

I'm always worried when I introduce a new type of seafood to my dogs, I know with some people that just a mouth full (even less) can kill them and I'm paranoid of this happening to the dogs. Does anyone know if some dogs react as violently as some humans?

We have had the sardines in spring water taken off the shelf (no idea why, maybe not enough people bought it?), so I'm forced to feed it with veggie oil. I rather the ones in spring water because there is too much oil in the ones in oil, and I hate tipping it down the sink, plus I add my own oils to the dogs diet (eg cod liver, salmon, EPO etc), so they don't need the extra veggie oil.

Caslero - I promise you you will love the FRESH fish breth far better :laugh:

I ften feed my dog in the kitchen, but no way when he gets the fish - our on the grass and than dont go there for 12 hours :lol

As to prawns - we also had some left overs - very few, but those heads smelled so good to Rex, so we took off the top shell and he enjoyed the rest (the insides and the little legs)

Caslero- I feed my Dobies snap frozen pilchards a few times a week with their barf diets and they love them. They can stand straight up on their hind legs for raw pilchards and walk. It is their favourite food, i buy them from a fisherman in ten kilo bags. They swallow them down whole, its just like feeding the seals.... :laugh: