How Did Your Pet Get Its Name?

crazyboutdogz

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piobaireachd, our westie, is named after the Ceol Mor, obviously...

{I've seen 'Ceol Mor' is a forum member name, so there should be at least one member who understands..}

Ceol Mor is the Great Music, the 'classical' style of the Highland Bagpipe.

Piobaireachd has lived with piping since he was a pup, sharing a house with a couple of pipers.

Other non-resident family members include Drummers, Highland Dancers, and more Pipers.

Sam was short for Samantha. We had picked a boy, then changed out minds. We still liked Sam. I used to call her Samantha Jane when she was a puppy. I liked Jane so much its Miss 9's middle name :thumbsup:

Rex Master 6 LOVEs donosaurs, so it was short for T- Rex

Chuzzy was after a cat called Chuzalwitz ( no clue how to spell it ) on a Barbie movie.

Molly well she just looked like a Molly

Bear was already named

Ned , kids picked that and I don't know why. It suits him too. :o

D'Artagnan came with his name at 13 months old and knew it well, so we kept it. We are getting a CKCS puppy in 2 weeks (10 weeks old) and originally when we knew we were having 2, we thought we'd go for a Lord of the Rings theme and call them "Merry" and "Pippin" (2 cute little hobbits) but cos of D'Artagnan, we thought we'd go 3 Musketeers and so the new pup is going to be Porthos.

D'Artagnan (Tagnan - pronounced Tan-Yun for short) suits his name totally. You can almost see him in little leather boots, floppy hat with feather and sword at the ready. He minces around like royalty....and as they described the Musketeers as very "Cavalier" then, it is totally suitable for our little Cavalier!

:)

We chose Porthos as the other 2 Musketeers names were not great (Aramis - makes me think Mens cologne) and Athos sounds like a Butt Hole :o

Of course, Porthos sounds like the Beagle from Star Trek - Enterprise....but oh well :birthday:

Susan

I got Darcy's name from a baby name website :laugh:

For some reason I knew I wanted his name to start with D. So I did some browsing on the internet and came across 'Darcy', which I thought would be a very fitting name. I thought it sounded good, I liked the meaning, and it didn't take long to catch on. It suits him. It also reminds me of 'Mr. Darcy', which is now his nickname :laugh:

This is a great thread!

My boy's name is Darcy too! Full name "Mr Darcy". I am a mad Jane Austen fan and I like saying "Mr Darcy is waiting for me at home"! ;) The first time I saw him (at 6 weeks old: see attached photo) he looked down his nose at me with this proud air as if to say "and what have we here?' just like I imagine Mr Darcy would in pride and prejudice! :laugh: hehehe! He still does it sometimes.

post-27768-1267438719_thumb.jpg

Names are Fun!!!

all my current dogs are Border Collies...

The Old Boy - Buddy, a rescue originally named Blocka - nah that was never going to stay, and he was going to be my mate so Buddy it was.. suits him...

Then along came Coco... a choc/white BC... i liked Bailey wanted her reg name baileys n cream, but didn't want another dog starting with the letter B, and couldn't have baileys n cream as it was already taken... then decided on Chico for choc jelly babies, but someone mentioned chiko rolls so that name never stuck... the kids of the people i was working for at the time liked Coco ... reg name i got to choose as Roki Road...

Then GT, cause she is reg Gin and Tonic, puppy and name chosen at Agility Camp over a few drinks... father is named Schnapps...also liked the name Blitz her sister ended up being called Blitz cause my friend got her and liked the name...

Then Focus cause of his blue eye and i really liked the name was on the list and when i saw him knew he was a Focus... reg name woody willow, had no choice in that he was reg when i got him don't like his reg name at all...

Rumour... bred by me out of Coco original owners called her Shady, i reg her Spring Fling- when she came back and i decided she would stay, gave her a new name Shady did not suit her.. Rumour was on my list and it suits her as well as her reg name...

Previously owned dogs include

long coat chihuahua - Angus named when i got him and it suited him...

German Shepard - Doofus he wasn't really, also called that when i got him it sort of suited him...

some of the puppies i have bred/named names include

Reg name / Call Name

MArbled Ruckus - Ruckus

Marbled Choc Shake - Shaker

Tri Rhythm n Blue - Rhythm

Dream Weaver - Dream

Choc Follie - Molly

Bling Diamond - Bling

High on Spirit - Spirit

Etched in Time- Thyme

Jolly Swift - Swift

Choc Toblerone - Toby

Road Trippa - Roadie

Oz Choc Mayhem - Mayhem

Marbled Trubble - Jinx

Code Breaka - Breaka

Choc Quizz - Quizza

Edited by bordacollies4me

Do you want their house names or real names?

Dogs:

Mia: Abba song "Mumma Mia" - she was a problem puppy. I had to hand rear her from 2 weeks for a friend. She is also called "Turd" cause she was a little shit.

"Faith": Have some Faith! she is also called "Ferral" or "Fezzle". She was a ferral puppy.

"Blue": What else do you call a red head in Australia?? HE also is called "Boo Boo" after Yogi bear and his partner in crime P'nick basket stealing

"Brandy": Another red head. She is lighter in colour to Blue. Hence Brandy. I don't like Rum and to call a dog Scotch sounds silly. She is also called "Terror Bear". Aptly named.

It is good when you go to the park.. You get asked what are your dog's name: "Turd, Ferral, Boo boo and Terror". The look you get is always priceless.

Horses:

"Star": He had a star on his forehead.

"Squiggle": He had a squiggle for a blaze

"Maximus": some stupid Warmblood thing. You have to name boys after the letter of the sire. His sire was "Moselfischer".

Koda, Vanni, Fang and Gerti all came with their names. I suspect Fang is so named because he is a guts. For all that he eats it is a wonder he isn't the fattest greyhound on the planet! :cry:

Rimes is also called Mr Rimes. His registered name is Ellz Can't Fight The Moonlight which of course Leane Rimes wrote and sang but as I couldn't call a boy Leane without raising some eyebrows, he was christened Rimes instead.

Bad Alice is exactly that! Although she also gets Malice (ie MAD Alice) from time to time too. She's Rimes' and Vanni's daughter. Her registered name is Ellz Through The Looking Glass so she is named after Alice in Wonderland. Kind of appropriate too if you have ever read the book. We have a couple of cats who would fit the role of the Cheshire Cat and everybody else is pretty nutty too! :laugh:

Roger (aka Woger and Woggles) named himself. He was the first of the litter of 9 to waddle over to me as a baby in the nest and try to climb on my knee. As he did that, the name ROGER popped into my head. I don't even really like the name but how could I argue with him?

Flame is short for Ellz Flame Trees (her registered name - brother Roger is Ellz Forever Now - my Barnesy/Chisel themed litter). She gets Flumbles and Flubber as well.

I named a friends pup for her. When the pup was born her mother flipped out and picked the pup up and threw her!! Friend rang me in a panic. The mum did settle down and looked after her bubs well. She was calling that first born pup Summer so I suggested Summer Fling for her registered name :laugh:

I got Darcy's name from a baby name website :laugh:

For some reason I knew I wanted his name to start with D. So I did some browsing on the internet and came across 'Darcy', which I thought would be a very fitting name. I thought it sounded good, I liked the meaning, and it didn't take long to catch on. It suits him. It also reminds me of 'Mr. Darcy', which is now his nickname :cry:

This is a great thread!

My boy's name is Darcy too! Full name "Mr Darcy". I am a mad Jane Austen fan and I like saying "Mr Darcy is waiting for me at home"! :( The first time I saw him (at 6 weeks old: see attached photo) he looked down his nose at me with this proud air as if to say "and what have we here?' just like I imagine Mr Darcy would in pride and prejudice! :D hehehe! He still does it sometimes.

post-27768-1267438719_thumb.jpg

LOL thats too funny...he looked down his nose at you

One day we were getting ready to go out and I was tired and couldnt be bothered.

My husband noticed and said 'Spark up Charche!' we then started calling each other Charche all the time so when we got a dog it just seemed like the right name for him!

He also gets Charchini, Charchos, Charcherama, Charch McSmarch just to name a few :thumbsup:

Asha became Asha simply because I had heard the name and thought it was pretty and she is pretty so it suited!

Love Charch McSmarch!! We call our cat Nero" Ratty McCatty" all the time! Don't know why...

we call bert 'bert the fert' all the time, or just 'fert' because when he was little he was such a little 'fert'! :thumbsup:

sally gets called smelly more than her name, we do get odd looks in the street and at the dog beach when i say (or yell) 'Smelly!'

I have replied to this type of thread a few times, but for the newbies. Kenny was the second born in a litter of 13, the first born was a huge bugger, poor Kenny came out not breathing & very tiny, I had to shake the fluid out of his lungs & give him mouth to mouth to get him breathing. Because he was so tiny, I had to hand raise him as his brothers & sisters used to push aside & beat him up, so being a South Park fan he just reminded me of Kenny, the first born, a huge white boy we called Cartman. :thumbsup:

Our first Beagle had his name years before he was even born. As a Canadian I was proud of Donovan Bailey, a Canadian olympic runner (of course not so proud after it came out he used drug enhancers). Anyway our first beautiful Beagle was still proudly named Bailey.

Beagle number two came along around the time of the first Harry Potter movies. At the time he was born Movie World had a ride advertised along the highway. Thinking Harry was too ridiculous for dog who is hairy...all too confusing; we went with Potter.

Beagle number three came along after having to put down Bailey who had a rare cancer. He was to be my "new beginning" so his name is Nuevo Comienzo (spanish for new beginning)...generally simply Nuevo. Comienzo is reverved for his naughty moments.

Then came our beautiful GSP girlie. We were heading to our breeder's home to visit the puppies and discussing names. As we had not solidly decided on the sex we were looking for names that were a bit generic. The radio was on and the Quinn the Eskimo song came on. If you have listened to the words there is a part where the birds in the trees go to him which I thought was fitting for a "bird dog". Hence...Quinn. Yes, I know Quinn is generally a boy name but we thought it was generic enough for a dog.

Okay well our boxer is named Wilson for two reasons...first the tennis was on and we all like the Tom Hanks movie Castaway.

Fitzy our cat was named after Fitzy from Friday Night Games. ( Big brother)

Twinkle our cat was named by our girls.

Hugo our cat because he is a big lump and his litter was named all designer label names.