Do You Feel Like..

smisch

A vet friend was going on about this yesterday.

Owner of a small poodle.....which got out & accidentally impregnated, by heaven knows what dog. But she'd intended to breed from it, anyway.

Even tho' she'd had no experience....or, as it turned out later, any knowledge... re breeding/whelping. Just thought it'd all go 'naturally'.

Then came the reality check, big time. Everything that could possibly go wrong with pregnancy happened. That's how it came to the vet's attention.

Huge costs & huge anxieties.

Then the owner set up selling the puppies for $500 each to recoup expenses.

Edited by mita

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who is about to get a labrador from a BYBer.

her excuse when I said all about hip scores and dysplasia was "insert name here" has a pup from the previous litter and theres nothing wrong with it and im sure "insert BYBers name here" wouldnt breed from them if they weren't healthy.

So I ask, do you know their hipscore?

Um no, I wouldnt have a clue I havent asked her anything like that.

Secretly im hoping this puppy eats their $30k worth of backyard landscaping to teach them a lesson. I know that behaviour has nothing to do with breeding generally, but it'll just make me feel better for her not listening to me at all

Edited by Dotty_17301

Did you ask her 'so when you want kids are you going to go hang around on street corners with your pants around your ankles'

:rofl: Hey, that could be her plan...

I don't have to deal with dog idiots.

Having established a reputation as a demented Nazi inspired elistist purebred dog snob and a neighbourhood dog walker with aggressive tendencies, they tend give me a wide berth. :)

I don't think anyone at work will show me a picture of their oooh soo cute Cavoodle puppy again soon after being left to ponder the lives the parents of that pup are forced to lead. I'm also quite happy to ask loudly about the hip scores on the Labrador and Golden Retriever you're going to crossbreed. I'm the terror of my work bulletin board - I will ask questions about the health testing of every litter posted.

If, on the other hand, if you want some help on how to select an appropriate breed and find a good breeder, and you demonstrate some potential as a responsible dog owner, I'm your best friend. Two puppies homed so far. :)

Go PF :rofl: You sound like a BYB's worst nightmare :laugh:

Did you ask her 'so when you want kids are you going to go hang around on street corners with your pants around your ankles'

:) Hey, that could be her plan...

I don't have to deal with dog idiots.

Having established a reputation as a demented Nazi inspired elistist purebred dog snob and a neighbourhood dog walker with aggressive tendencies, they tend give me a wide berth. :)

I don't think anyone at work will show me a picture of their oooh soo cute Cavoodle puppy again soon after being left to ponder the lives the parents of that pup are forced to lead. I'm also quite happy to ask loudly about the hip scores on the Labrador and Golden Retriever you're going to crossbreed. I'm the terror of my work bulletin board - I will ask questions about the health testing of every litter posted.

If, on the other hand, if you want some help on how to select an appropriate breed and find a good breeder, and you demonstrate some potential as a responsible dog owner, I'm your best friend. Two puppies homed so far. :)

Go PF :rofl: You sound like a BYB's worst nightmare :laugh:

I try to remain polite but I don't have any issues making my views about what they're doing very plain. :rofl:

These stupid attitudes to breeding make me rope-able :laugh: I was in my pharmacy getting stuff for my dog, the woman serviing me askes what he was (he was tied up outside the door). She then proceeded to inform me that she had two dogs.

Me: what are they?

Her: one is a shi tzu/bichon (bitch) the other is a standard poodle/maltese (male).

Me: Lovely

Her: the shi tzu/bichon is expecting her first litter to the bigger male.

Me: Oh what a shame. you'll have to get him neutered to stop that happening again!

Her: Why would I do that, I am sure they will be lovely pups.

Me: I bet you did no health testing on either dog?

Her: what is that?

Me: Please stop taking about cross bred dogs that end up in pounds and let me shop in peace!

I realy as if I could end up smacking her upside the head. She was so ignorant about breeding and had not even considered what would happen during a difficult delivery for the mum dog :rofl:

Having established a reputation as a demented Nazi inspired elistist purebred dog snob and a neighbourhood dog walker with aggressive tendencies, they tend give me a wide berth. :rofl:

Hehe - I am slowly becoming this, and can't wait to not have to deal with the idiots. Volunteering at a shelter I have it from people all the time and am forever nagging people to desex their dogs whilst i'm bathing them. I have nothing against crossbreeds when rescued but other than that, leave the breeding to the registered ethical professinals.

i was at a dog park with a lady who bought her bitch on heat to the park... she said she doesn't care because she wanted puppies. doesn't care what it's cross with. then a group of people started to aww and ahh about puppies... i had to walk away.

the human race is abhorrent and intolerable.

I think 'abhorrent' and 'intolerable' just about sums it up!!

At the boarding kennels i work at we are always asking pet owners why theior dogs arnt desexed, the most common answers are i havent gotten around to it or the dog isnt old enough...

some are 4 or 5 yrs old....

crappy responses, some even look at u to suss u out then respond so u just know they are thinking of breeding but know they will get an ear full and shut the hell up...

Ignorant ppl are everywhere and I hate them all. Met a lady whilst out walking my pups a few days ago. She started ranting about the evils of pit bull terriers and then she said what's the other one? I said what other one? She said the other one that's like those ones... I said Staffordshire bull terrier? To which she replied oh yes they're horrid dogs... Ummn.. WHAT? I said, pitties are lovely as are staffies. I've had nothing but positive experiences with both. It's all about responsible ownership...

Close friend's gf has a male (entire) bichon which impregnated her dad's female bichon. Bitch was purchased w/ intent of having a litter with the older male. Health checks? Not a single one. Temperament? Male is apparently terrible (more due to faffed up training than the dog - I was rather horrified when I saw the goings on at their place). Papers? HUH?

Bitch just gave birth to 5 pups (few days ago). She is only 9 months old. I told them she was too young, hadn't finished growing, wasn't emotionally mature yadda yadda. They said but what are we supposed to do? It just happens! They became very defensive. I told them that hundreds upon thousands of RESPONSIBLE breeders can manage their dogs and so should you. Admittedly bitch was in heat when they were overseas and it was while the house help was caring for the dogs that this happened (they live in Asia, hence the house help - nice for some lol).

I love them to death, but I can only preach so much before they resent the crap out of me. Hard to balance that w/ keeping a friendship...

i was at a dog park with a lady who bought her bitch on heat to the park... she said she doesn't care because she wanted puppies. doesn't care what it's cross with. then a group of people started to aww and ahh about puppies... i had to walk away.

:laugh: Pissing myself at the bolded bit! :rofl:

Now I'm looking after a friends dog who is a rescue (so you think they would understand about irresponsible breeding) and she is due to pop any day.

How on earth did they get their hands on a rescue dog that wasn't desexed? Isn't it just about a mandatory part of good rescue practice to make sure that no dog gets rehomed unless desexed first for exactly the above reason? Sounds like the rescue group/person needs a good slap about the head.

:vomit: Pissing myself at the bolded bit! :vomit:

Now I'm looking after a friends dog who is a rescue (so you think they would understand about irresponsible breeding) and she is due to pop any day.

How on earth did they get their hands on a rescue dog that wasn't desexed? Isn't it just about a mandatory part of good rescue practice to make sure that no dog gets rehomed unless desexed first for exactly the above reason? Sounds like the rescue group/person needs a good slap about the head.

I believe they got her from the pound or found her after she had been dumped???

She wasn't from a rescue organisation/person. Thankfully I think some of my chats with them have sunk in about responsible dog ownership & I think they will be getting both dogs desexed soon, at least they asked me & I could inform them of things, I also happen to forward on the website that was posted on here about before you breed your bitch :o think that may have pushed them in the other direction :o

I lost a friendship because I was over adamant about them getting their GSD pup desexed, after they exclaimed to me that they'd be mating it to a "Husky dog" because her BF had always wanted a "wolf type looking dog". I sometimes miss the friendship, but i so hope more that at least some of what i said sunk in...

I get asked all the time when I am going to breed my whippets, my usual response is:

1. They are both female ( one is significantly small than the other and they dont have boy bits)

2. they are desexed - pure pet

3. I wouldn't breed from these 2 with their issues - reactive + extra tooth and terrible allergies, little dog is very nervous and anxious

Nup never - there are other people who dedicate their lives to this and I am happy to let them do it and pay the appropriate amount for a pup to live a healthy desexed life with me as a pet

Ok the general topic is not funny, but....
She wants to breed it with another staffy when its 10 months old cos supposedly breeding it with a staffy will gte rid of the pei-ness...

:thumbsup::rasberry::scold: :D Some people are just too stupid :) ;) :D ;)

Speaking of stupid, the other day my BIL told me that Darcy is obviously not pure-bred because pure bred dogs don't have pigment on their lips (or something like that.) However, since Darcy is 'papered', he would be very interested in a bitch puppy with papers when (not if) I breed Darcy, because he would be able to cross it with one of his mutts and sell the puppies for thousands because they will have a pedigree...Um yeah sure.

Ok the general topic is not funny, but....
She wants to breed it with another staffy when its 10 months old cos supposedly breeding it with a staffy will gte rid of the pei-ness...

:hug::rofl::crossfingers::crossfingers: Some people are just too stupid :crossfingers::rofl::rofl::rofl:

oh tell me bout it it was almost as funny as the stupid staffy X BOX TERRIER I swear I work with some of the dumbest people some days... :rofl:

oh the other one that annoys me is another friend has a few Bcs one with papers (from what I class as a poor breeder, I think they're a touch shonky) the other 2 without anyway they took the dogs to the beach and some guy wants to breed the papered BC (male) to his bitch... sigh and they are actually considering it... if this Bc didn't have papers you'd swear he was a mix..

why am I friends with these people....

Speaking of stupid, the other day my BIL told me that Darcy is obviously not pure-bred because pure bred dogs don't have pigment on their lips (or something like that.)

:rofl: He sounds about as smart as my neighbour. He told me my dog can't be a purebred as he has dewclaws :crossfingers:

Yeah, I tried to explain that most are born with them, and some breeders remove them, but he didn't believe me :hug: