Councillor's "animal Killers" Claims Puts Pet Desexing I

tybrax

Local Gold Coast paper The Sun

Jessica Elder.

Non -breeders need to get the snip.

People who do not want theirs pets to breed but do not have them desexed have been branded

"animail killers" by a Gold Coast City Councillor.

Dog lover Cr Jan Grew said she was disgusted by the lazy nature of many city's pet owners.

"What happens to unwanted pets? they get killed," she said.

"Where talking about an innocent animal on the vets slab being given a lethal injection.

"If you don't intend to breed you dog and cat then the only responsible course of action is to have it desexed.

"Its no excuse to say 'oh but another dog jumped into my yard' it doesn't matter -its the owners responsibility.

The AWL has a policy against euthanasia, but the numbers of animals surrendered and found on the streets is

getting out of control. If owners were more resposible we would not have these problems.

The Council will implement new breeder regulations in April. The new rules will mean anyone wanting thier pet

to have a litter will be forced to pay $300.00 plus for a breeder's license. Compulsory desexing is not included

in the new Local law.

Cr Grew said that if desexing was not enforced the new rules would mean nothing.

Animal Control Officer Geoff Irwin admitted the new licensing rules were not stringently enforceable and

would be hard to POLICE.

"To track down the owners breeding without a permit,we would have to investigate individual matters

before issuing a show cause notice," he said.

View the proposed regulations at goldcoast.qld.gov.au from next month.

tybrax

Vets need to come to the party to help enforce these things. Make it so vets must report any bitches in whelp they see, any pups coming for vaccinations etc. to the council or the council bans them from their area. The council checks if they have the permit and goes and fines their arse if they don't.

What a friggen whacko, I am sure dog showers just luv being called an animal killa.

People who do not want theirs pets to breed but do not have them desexed have been branded

As for the other part allready said my bit in the other thread. Unenforceable.

Why dont the pay people to desex dogs? if they really want to cut down numbers, you know take it of in rates or something, a threat is not an incentive in the 21'st century.

Edited by GeckoTree

Blurgh.

What a crap rule. Many people choose not to desex because they are a responsible owner and have weighed up the pros and cons of the operation. Or they exhibit. Sure some people have an "oops some dog jumped the fence" litter but I also know some fairly casual "desexing costs too much" owners who's dog has never gotten out or had a litter :laugh:

Vets need to come to the party to help enforce these things. Make it so vets must report any bitches in whelp they see, any pups coming for vaccinations etc. to the council or the council bans them from their area. The council checks if they have the permit and goes and fines their arse if they don't.

People figure out that is happening and they'll stop taking their animals to vets. Not a good outcome for the dogs.

Blurgh.

What a crap rule. Many people choose not to desex because they are a responsible owner and have weighed up the pros and cons of the operation. Or they exhibit. Sure some people have an "oops some dog jumped the fence" litter but I also know some fairly casual "desexing costs too much" owners who's dog has never gotten out or had a litter ;)

Why is it crap that people must pay to be registered with their council before they breed dogs and sell the pups? It's kind of like business registration and might offer people a come back with BYBs.

What if you exhibit but don't breed??

This councillor believes you are contributing to the unwanted dog problem, but so what (if you aren't)? Compulsory desexing was NOT introduced.

People figure out that is happening and they'll stop taking their animals to vets. Not a good outcome for the dogs.

Nope but better a few dogs die than hundreds of their pups do.

Council can also call every ad in the local papers selling pups as buyers, get the address to come see them and then check their records. It will take man-power but it can be enforceable IMO.

Then you would have a massive increase in BYBs who don't get vet care for their pregnant bitch, and don't vet-check or vaccinate their puppies. At least now, BYBs can take their puppies in for vaccinations. Better than having pups being sold without.

I agree with ML I think it's a great solution, anyone who really wants to keep their dogs entire can do so they just have to fork out the extra cash. Council will enforce it because it's great for revenue, has the dual purpose of collecting breeder registration fees and reducing the costs associated with poundies. If people wont fork out $300 for a breeder license they aren't going to fork out however much in vet fees anyway so I really doubt it's going to make much difference there.

Two reason's I have heard a lot for NOT desexing an animal is:

1. Too expensive

2. Can't be bothered

And yes I know there are others, like those who show animals and registered breeders, so enforcing desexing is not the answer nor is being penalised for not doing so.

So why can't the councils for each area and the vets of the animal owners choice both come to the party and do the desexing at a discount, both donating towards some of the costs involved, so the initial outlay for the owner is not such a huge burden as it is for some people. There would be more desexed animals then there are atm.

Of course there will always be people who want an animal but still don't give a toss about its health or desexing, but these kind of people are the ones that never seem to get caught, and they continually do things that affect others.

Bluefairy

At what age would they enforce desexing? I'm not planning on breeding, but i'm also not planning on desexing either, and not because of cost or laziness, but because i've read many varying opinions on desexing and i'm choosing not to. simple as that.

maybe i'll change my mind when my male is fully grown.

How about they ban pet shops from selling pets, because the number in the pound would certainly drop then.

IMO anyone buying a dog from a petshop hasn't researched enough about dogs before making a life changing decision, and these are the people that place their dogs in the pound without a second though.

At what age would they enforce desexing?

At what age would WHO enforce desexing? The GCCC is NOT introducing mandatory desexing.

Local Gold Coast paper The Sun

Jessica Elder.

Non -breeders need to get the snip.

Dog lover Cr Jan Grew said she was disgusted by the lazy nature of many city's pet owners.

"What happens to unwanted pets? they get killed," she said.

"Where talking about an innocent animal on the vets slab being given a lethal injection.

"If you don't intend to breed you dog and cat then the only responsible course of action is to have it desexed.

"Its no excuse to say 'oh but another dog jumped into my yard' it doesn't matter -its the owners responsibility.

The AWL has a policy against euthanasia, but the numbers of animals surrendered and found on the streets is

getting out of control. If owners were more resposible we would not have these problems.

The Council will implement new breeder regulations in April. The new rules will mean anyone wanting thier pet

to have a litter will be forced to pay $300.00 plus for a breeder's license. Compulsory desexing is not included

in the new Local law.

Cr Grew said that if desexing was not enforced the new rules would mean nothing.

Animal Control Officer Geoff Irwin admitted the new licensing rules were not stringently enforceable and

would be hard to POLICE.

"To track down the owners breeding without a permit,we would have to investigate individual matters

before issuing a show cause notice," he said.

View the proposed regulations at goldcoast.qld.gov.au from next month.

The thoughts on madatory desexing thrown about in Qld were at time of sale. But this has NOT been introduced anywhere.