Pomeranian

Troy

The Pomeranian

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=40 )

Group: Group 1 (Toys)

General Appearance: Compact, short coupled dog, well knit in frame. Exhibiting great intelligence in expression; activity and buoyancy in deportment.

Characteristics: Sound, vivacious and dainty.

Temperament: Extrovert, lively and intelligent.

Head And Skull: Head and nose foxy in outline, skull slightly flat, large in proportion to muzzle which finishes finely and free from lippiness. Nose black in white, orange and shaded sable dogs; brown in chocolate tipped sable dogs, but in others colours may be 'self-coloured', never parti-coloured or flesh.

Eyes: Medium size, slightly oval, not full, or set too wide apart; bright, dark and showing great intelligence. In white, orange, shaded sable and cream dogs, rims black.

Ears: Relatively small, not set too wide apart, not too low down, but carried perfectly erect.

Mouth: Jaws strong, with a perfect, regular and compete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Rather short and well set into shoulders.

Forequarters: Shoulders clean and well laid back. Fine boned legs, perfectly straight, of medium length in due proportion to size of dog.

Body: Back short, body compact, well ribbed up, barrel well rounded. Chest fairly deep, not too wide but in proportion to size of dog.

Hindquarters: Fine boned, legs neither cow-hocked nor wide behind; medium angulation.

Feet: Small, compact and cat-like.

Tail: Characteristic of breed, high set, turned over back and carried flat and straight, profusely covered with long, harsh, spreading hair.

Gait/Movement: Free moving, brisk and buoyant.

Coat: Two coats, an under coat and an outer coat. Former soft, fluffy, the latter long, perfectly straight, harsh in texture and covering whole of body; very abundant round neck and fore part of shoulders and chest; forming frill, extending over shoulders. Forequarters well feathered, thighs and hindlegs well feathered to hocks.

Colour: All colours permissible, but free from black or white shadings. Whole colours are: white, black, brown, light or dark, blue as pale as possible. Orange which should be self-coloured and bright as possible, Beaver. Cream dogs have black noses and black eye rims. Whites must be quite free from lemon or any other colour. A few white hairs in any of the self-coloured dogs permissible but undesirable. Dogs (other than white) with white or tan markings highly undesirable and not considered whole coloured specimens. In parti-coloured dogs, colours evenly distributed on body in patches; a dog with white or tan feet or chest not a parti-coloured dog. Shaded sables should be shaded throughout with three or more colours, the hair to be as uniformly shaded as possible, and with no patches of self-colour. In mixed classes, where whole coloured and parti-coloured Pomeranians compete together, the preference should, if in all other points they are equal, be given to the whole coloured specimens.

Sizes: Ideal weight: Dogs 1.8-2 kg (4-4.5 lbs)

Bitches 2-2.5 kg (4.5-5.5 lbs)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

1. What is my relationship with the breed? First time owner, but I dare say I will own more in the future!

2. Where and why was the breed first developed? From my understanding, they were bred down from a larger size (German Spitz), as pet dogs for Queen Victoria, and I also heard that they were bred for the circus, but I don't know how true that is.

3. How common is it in Australia? I have only met a handful of other pure Pom's.

4. What is the average lifespan? 12-16 years

5. What is the general temperament/personality? Well my beautiful girl is extremely friendly! She loves absolutely everyone, loves to play, and everyone that has ever met her has fallen in love.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult? We take her for two small walks a day.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with? I think so. I was a first time dog owner, and found it extremely easy to adjust to owning.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods? We had her for two years before we got another companion for her, and she seemed to be fine when we were at work. She was never alone for more than about 6 hours.

9. How much grooming is required? They are probably one of the higher maintenance breeds, in terms of grooming. Contrary to what some people think, she doesn't seem to shed much hair though. We give her a quick brush every few days, and a bath once week. She's not a show dog or anything though.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)? I think they have the perfect temprament for small children. I would be more worried about the children getting rough with the dog, if anything. But I would say it would be a suitable breed.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of? I'll let someone else answer that, but I've been told they can have patella problems.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Exhibitor/Breeder/Addict

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

The Pomeranian is believed to have descended from wolf-spitz type dogs which at a very early period in history migrated to Pomerania from the north of Russia and Siberia. Queen Victoria was responsible for the popularity of the Pom and it was she who bred them down to a smaller size. The earlier spitz, type dogs were used to work as guard and sled animals, however the smallest were often kept as companions.

3. How common is it in Australia?

They are quite common in Australia and very popular. Because they only have small litters (1 or 2 puppies) demand usually exceeds supply of quality Poms. Unscrupulous back yard breeders regularly advertise inferior cross-breeds as purebred and should be avoided at all costs.

4. What is the average lifespan?

The average life-span is around 12 years but its not unusual for them to live well into their teens.

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Extroverted, lively and very, very intelligent. Must be a part of their family.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

They do not need a huge amount of exercise but do benefit from a daily walk as their minds and bodies like to keep active.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Yes, although they are not recommended for families with small children.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Poms prefer to be part of a pack, whether this consists of humans or other dogs. They dont like being left alone for long periods.

9. How much grooming is required?

A good brush once a week combined with daily checking for matts is recommended. Trimming of hair around the anus is also a very good idea. Shampoo with good quality product when necessary.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Small children and Pomeranians do not mix well unless the child is very quiet and careful not to drop or hurt the Pom. They make fantastic companions for elderly people once they are past the energetic puppy stage.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Poms can have problems with Patellas, collapsing Tracheas, coat loss and Hypoglycemia. Problems are less common if you buy from a reputable breeder.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

It is always best to be able to view the parents, siblings or other relatives if possible to see if any health problems are evident. Some problems cannot be seen of course. Find a reputable breeder.