Bladder Problems

D4DOGZ

We are taking Shadow (labrador) to Vet this Morning.

We noticed last night when she sat down then got up a little wet patch would be were she sat.

She is Desexed ( at 6 Months ) and she will be 5 in April, so we assume it would be something like a Bladder Infection.

Do you think i would be right? and has anyone else had a dog with a Bladder infection and how would she get it?

It wasn't a Bladder Infection, Vet thinks it is an oestragen issue, Not enough, they said that older dogs that are desexed ( although she is only 5 ) can develop deficancies

We have to watch her the next few days and if it continues Vet will try her on tabs for it.

Sorry for spelling Cant get the spell check to work

My dane has this problem too, last week I had a Suprelorin 12 implant inserted this is the third year I have used it, the tablets were going to cost a fortune and the incontinence was due to hormone imbalance after desexing. Unfortunately this implant hasn't worked as well as the other two which were really good and I didn't get any wet patches for a year after insertion. So I am off to the vet as soon as I can get a specimen and see if anything else is going on with her.

Don't get upset with Shadow because it isn't her fault and they really do feel bad, my girl just looks miserable when she knows she has left a wet patch. To protect your bed you can get waterproof matress protectors and a cot size may fit shadows bed if it is a big problem.

Good Luck with Shadow.

Incontinence related to desexing seems quite common. I know it's happened with a couple of friends dogs.

It makes me wonder why I've NEVER heard a vet mention it as a side effect or risk??

To be fair to my vet incontinence was mentioned as a side effect and also other reasons for desexing were discussed. If you do your own research before this is quite easy to find as a side effect. Maybe some vets are more open to discussion than others.

Incontinence related to desexing seems quite common. I know it's happened with a couple of friends dogs.

It makes me wonder why I've NEVER heard a vet mention it as a side effect or risk??

To be fair to my vet incontinence was mentioned as a side effect and also other reasons for desexing were discussed. If you do your own research before this is quite easy to find as a side effect. Maybe some vets are more open to discussion than others.

That's what I'm saying, I always do my own research and it seems to be very common, yet when I have asked vets about it, they say it's rare. Maybe the vets in my area are all part of a conspiracy... :)

My dane has this problem too, last week I had a Suprelorin 12 implant inserted this is the third year I have used it, the tablets were going to cost a fortune and the incontinence was due to hormone imbalance after desexing. Unfortunately this implant hasn't worked as well as the other two which were really good and I didn't get any wet patches for a year after insertion. So I am off to the vet as soon as I can get a specimen and see if anything else is going on with her.

Don't get upset with Shadow because it isn't her fault and they really do feel bad, my girl just looks miserable when she knows she has left a wet patch. To protect your bed you can get waterproof matress protectors and a cot size may fit shadows bed if it is a big problem.

Good Luck with Shadow.

Thank-you for your post, how old was your Dane when she started to develop the wetness?

With the Implant was this latest one a different brand than your previous ones?, I like the idea that this can be used rather than a daily tablet.

Shadow did seem rather embarressed by it, I will look at getting a waterproof matress for her bed, cot would fit perfectly.

In the warmer months she has a cooler bed so we will just need to wipe it down through the Day/night for her.

Good Luck with Shadow.

Thank-you for your post, how old was your Dane when she started to develop the wetness?

With the Implant was this latest one a different brand than your previous ones?, I like the idea that this can be used rather than a daily tablet.

Shadow did seem rather embarressed by it, I will look at getting a waterproof matress for her bed, cot would fit perfectly.

In the warmer months she has a cooler bed so we will just need to wipe it down through the Day/night for her.

Sparkles was about 2 and a half when she started I had just bought a new bed and she had wet patches on it, no infection I tried tablets first but once I stopped them she was incontinent again cost wise and with my work the implant was a better option. The implant is to stop fertility in male dogs but also works for incontinence. As far as I know it is the same implant as previously used. At the moment I have only noticed the two episodes of wet patches since the implant was put in so maybe it just needs a bit more time to stabilise the hormones. Will update you when I can get a urine sample and visit our vet again.

What about dogs that are incontinent when asleep that haven't been desexed? Say in pups? Is there any reliable treatment that will work long term?

I've heard that the medication can become less effective over time - a couple of years seems to be what vets I've spoken to say, then the effectiveness can be "spotty"...

T.

Was it inconsistent before treatment started? as Shadow seams ok tonight?

Yes it was at first I thought goody all is well and the moment I let my guard down there was a wet patch. I alway send Sparkles out to "spend a penny" before bed and she usually does but there would still be wet patches in the morning and other mornings nothing. Eventually I decided to go for treatment, although there was no indication of an infection I did use a course of antibiotics just in case but they didn't help.

Just visited our vet this morning with a first of the day urine specimen and all is well it was concetrated and our vet was very pleased with it, he also thought the couple of wet patches were just the implant taking effect, there was nothing last night.

Watch Shadow and if the incontinece resloves that would be wonderful.