Osteosarcoma-it's Not All Bad News

becky thatcher

This topic is not really palliative, nor really Health.

Our Ridgeback X was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with an osteosarcoma in her left elbow joint. The odds were not good. We decided to go with the vets advice and she had an amputation and chemo. As I said we are nearly coming up to 2 years since her diagnosis. I would have to say she is in remission. Apart from arthritis she is doing really well

She has Cartrophen injections, Rimadyl tablets, Glucosamine tablets and Fish oil. All recommended by the vet.

We also take her about once a month to the chiropractor since her remaining shoulder often "pops out"

I don't want to think of the money we have spent on her. Suffice to say that our younger dog is fully insured.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Becky interesting to read about another ridgy enduring osteosarcoma and amputation! Our previous ridgy bitch was diagnosed at 9 with osteo in the front right leg - on her second xray (for confirmation) the top of her leg bone (femur?) disintegrated in the vets hands :thumbsup: . Her entire leg and scapula was removed - ended up with a very narrow front end dog! She also had chemo, two lots and was amazing in recovery :D

Unfortunately a year later she developed bloat/GDV and we had to let her go :laugh: Not sure if the bloat had anything to do with her hoppy gait??

How old was your dog when diagnosed? Im pleased to hear that she is still with you after two years.

You will probably agree its amazing to watch a 3 legged dog - they adapt so quickly. Our girl didnt let it affect her at all really, even digging wasnt an issue!

post-12444-1272197545_thumb.jpg

I would love to hear of other positive outcomes from such a horrible disease.

And my heart goes out to all who have lost their beloved dogs from this and other cancers...

Rat

• 10 months later...

Good to see some positive things in this thread. My 9yo staffy has just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. She had an injury to her foreleg a year or so ago and over time the muscle deteriorated to a point where the leg needed to be removed before last Christmas. A lump came up and the vet biopsied it last week and sadly (and much to the vet's surprise) it came back positive for osteosarcoma which has moved into the nerves and lymph system. Won't know the outcome till we go to the vet again this week...

But it is nice to see some positive info out there.

Raelene

Raelene - Sorry to hear about you staffy girl....I dont venture in here too often, reminders of my girl still bring me to tears. :cry

I hope your girl has a positive outcome, and Id be interested to see what the vet has to say about it! Was the lump on the same side as her amputated leg??? Do they think its related?? I only ask as our girl hit a wire I reckon about 2 or 3 years before she was diagnosed...We wondered at the time whether the trauma had anything to do with it!!

Ive seen 2 three legged dogs in the last few months. One at our vet surgery - that made me burst into tears quite unexpectedly, and the other at Bunnings....He was cute as and I couldnt resist giving him a snuggle :laugh: Both dogs had forelegs missing....seems to really get me in the heart!!!

Sadly we lost our beautiful girl today :grouphug::laugh:

Yes lump appeared where the amputated leg had been - almost like a new leg looked like it was growing. Quite likely related. Apparently there is some correlation between trauma and tumours.

I think I'll be like you now.... Feeling a bit broken hearted.

R