The Cat Came Back

ChristineX

you may remember that when I got new neighbours last year - Duke almost killed their cat. Fortunately, they were pretty much 'that's what terriers do'.

Well, it came back. This time, Duke has killed it.

I've got some serious cat bites to one hand - I dont know yet if the dogs are hurt. It was still living when I picked it up - and I think I have scared two sets of neighbours - cat's owner and lady next to them. Gary from next door has the cat back, and Denise from next to them - who also has a black and white cat - came to see if I was okay (her brother and a young lady answered the door - a very young cat lover who backed away and wanted to know if I was going to put Duke down.)

Denise has fixed my hand up with betadine and a bandaid (and I get the impression her guests can't understand why) and is making sure we exchange phone numbers etc just in case next doors go off the deep end.

One off my bites is still oozing - I may be off to my own 'vet' tomorrow as it is over a finger joint.

Damn cat. Why didn't it stay smart.

ChristineX

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just not fair. Even though it should be a given anyway you would think after the last incident your neighbours would have had enough sense to contain their cat. And to top it off you have people giving you the accusing eye. So wrong.

It is not your fault that these people chose not to take responsibility for their cat. Very sorry you have been placed in this sad situation.

Hope you and Duke are ok.

Yet another animal pays the ultimate price because of irresponsible owners.

RIP little moggy.

Damn cat. Why didn't it stay smart.

Because it had irresponsible owners who knew there was a dog next door that would kill their cat if they let it roam, and chose to do absolutely nothing to keep their cat safe.

R.I.P. Kitty. :hug:

Bring on the cat containment laws.

Sorry you had to go through this Christine and I hope that your neighbours are reasonable about it and take responsibility for their own lack of action rather than blaming you or Duke.

Im sorry you had been put in this situation.It wasnt your fault or Dukes.

I wish owners of cats would be more responsible so things like this dont happen.

Hope you are alright and a visit to your own 'vet' is a must to get your wounds checked.

I hope your neighbours wont cause any trouble for you over this either.

It's a bit after 5, and Duke is fine. Kate, who usually stays out of these events, is on three legs and extensive blood down one ear/face. two of my fingers don't feel too good - so its GP for me and vet for kate. interestingly, duke has been on his 'its dangerous tonight' behaviour which makes me think that the silly cat landed on kate when it came over the fence and his territoritality has kicked in majorly.

now to email the boss - i dont think i will make it into work until very late.

and thank you to the insomniacs on dol - you helped me with the adrenaline surge, helped me calm down, and thereby helped me keep my asthma attack much milder than would otherwise have been the case.

christinex

That's the main reason I had security screens and doors fitted at my place - not so much to keep out intruders but to keep my two kitties in. They are indoor cats only, have never been outside unless crated. Too many things can go wrong if allowed outside ie, straying, fighting, encouraging other cats into the yard, hit by a car, stolen, hurt by irresponsible neighbours or their pets (& I have one of these unfortunately), catching fleas and most of all disease. I do feel so sorry for the poor kitty, but most of all I feel for you. I know that neither you nor your dog are responsible for any of this and I hope your neighbour realises this too. I also hope that your neighbour realises that you already feel terrible about the loss of the kitty and hope that they don't add to your distress. Hope the health of you and your doggie improves quickly and well and nothing adverse results from the cat bites. Try and keep calm and take care.

Go and have a cuppa!!

Cheers

Please do go to the doctor and get antibiotic's as cat saliva can be extremely dangerous to humans.

Symptoms of Cat Scratch Fever

Transmitted by a scratch or bite, cat scratch fever, also known as cat scratch disease, is generally not serious to people with healthy immune systems. However, go to your doctor if you develop symptoms. The most common treatment is a prescription of antibiotics. If you suffer from a compromised immune system due to any medical condition or are receiving chemotherapy, seek medical attention immediately if a cat bites you.

Symptoms of cat scratch fever generally occur three to thirty days after the bite with most cases developing in the first one to two weeks. The illness usually lasts two to four months but may last up to a year. Symptoms include:

A blister or small bump develops at the site of the bite

Lymph nodes in the area become tender and swollen and may drain pus

Low fever

Headache

Fatigue

Sore throat

Rash

Loss of appetite

Possible Complications of Serious Infections

Without proper treatment of the initial bite area, the bacterium travels throughout the body in the bloodstream in some cases. Although the following complications are rare, they are possible:

Meningitis

Pneumonia

Heart infection

Lung abscess

Heart abscess

Inflammation of bone or bone marrow

Septic arthritis

RIP Kitty :)

And like any animal bite that breaks the skin there is a chance of infection. Always go to the doctors and get it checked. Cat was unfortunate having owners who believe that such little creatures need more than the inside of a house to roam. Where I grew up roaming cats were also at risk of having firecrackers tied to them or being shoved in mailboxes as the local hoon blew up both inaddition to cars, dogs, illness, other cats.

Hope you get the cat bites looked at, they can be very serious.

I had surgery and 7 days in hospital after a fairly minor looking cat tooth puncture over a joint.

I can only echo this. You should have any bites and scratches seen to as cat scratch fever can be very serious.

RIP little cat. How horrible for you all to have to deal with this. Nature says that dogs chase cats, and not to play with. It is sad that the cat's owner didn't heed the first close call and stop the cat from wandering. :)

I feel for you. I hope they do not now cause you trouble in their grief.

Sad . .. but also frustrating.

Have you considered presenting the vet bills . . . and your med bills . . . to the neighbours. Their cat was on your property and it wasn't like they didn't know the dogs were there.

I strongly favour cat containment laws. I think one way of bringing them about sooner . . . and getting more people to contain their cats is to hold them responsible for the damage their cats do. Most common damage is probably beating up other cats. Have heard lots of stories in the cattery about big vet bills because the neighbour's cat keeps coming on their property and beating up their cat. Not to mention what they do to birds and lizards.

Just to emphasise what everyone else has been saying about cats... one of my closest friends was bitten on the finger by one of her kittens... didn't look like much. 3 weeks in hospital later, she changed her tune! Hope you and your bubs are okay. Cats should be kept indoors. For their own safety if not for any other reason.