Hmm, Ideas On Breed

Guest Tess32

Hi Tess!

Hmm, you and I have been thinking similar things of late, although I'm not so sold on the long hair thing. My next WILL be another Sm Collie, but after that - much much after that I'm thinking either a Standard Poodle or a Sheltie.

Is a Sheltie too small for you? Or perhaps too much like a Collie?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You took great photos of Perry when you came to Canberra - how about a long coated Koolie? Perry does OK on 30 minutes of walking or running after the ball and even if you cannot show them there is nothing to stop you doing agility, herding or obedience with them. They are so bright and always want to please you they learn anything quickly. You do need to engage them mentally but sometimes just talking to them and having them with you is enough. They do have an off switch which is great.

Perhaps with an afghan it gets down to the right breeder able to do good puppy selection?

Absolutely. Our first Afghan fits the criteria, our second doesn't.

I'm not sure about the Saluki suggestion. Salukis can be very drivey, smart-arsed and demanding. The right Saluki tho', would also suit the OP. It gets down to breeders picking the right dog as you say.

I'm inclined tho' to think that the Borzoi suggestion is probably the best one. Diva or Alyosha could give the OP advice about where to find a good Borzoi.

ive heard really good things about samoyeds

good with people

good with dogs

id not get one cos of the fur but those smiles are irresistible

borzois

ilove

but theyre not really a companion dog

kinda lounge around doing their own thing

Hi Tess!

Hmm, you and I have been thinking similar things of late, although I'm not so sold on the long hair thing. My next WILL be another Sm Collie, but after that - much much after that I'm thinking either a Standard Poodle or a Sheltie.

Is a Sheltie too small for you? Or perhaps too much like a Collie?

Yep, too much like a Collie in looks, and temperament wise they're a bit more energetic than I like.

I've considered a smooth actually :(

I think maybe is best if I also get one that is the right size for Noah. He really likes a play and an Aussie would suit in that way.

I'm *vaguely* considering my next dog will *possibly* not be a Collie. Not sure yet, it's hard not to get one :(

Part of me is really keen to have another breed, so I'd like some suggestions in case I haven't thought of a good one.

What I like:

Generally long hair

Laid back inside

Able to live happy on 40-60 min walk a day

Low incidence of dog aggression

Soft temperament

Medium sized up to giant, no little dogs

Would be alone (with other dogs) during work hours.

I like Aussie Shepherds, but not sure how much exercise they need.

Also like Newfies but I am not very strong and I'm a bit iffy about handling a physically strong breed.

Any other ideas? It won't be for a while yet, and heck I might just end up with another Collie, but right now am considering.

I'm considering a Berner next- seriously check them out!!!

borzois

ilove

The bit I have bolded is just not true at all. It can only have been posted by some one who has never owned one.

I've had Borzoi for many years and all seven have been fabulous companions.

Edited by Diva

borzois

ilove

The bit I have bolded is just not true at all. It can only have been posted by some one who has never owned one.

I've had Borzoi for many years and all seven have been fabulous companions.

yeah i was wondering about that. My boy wants nothing more than to be with us.

What about the Setter breeds....I like the look of the English. NO idea what they are like at all.

I've always loved Borzois so they are definitely an option. How are they off lead in general?

How are they off lead in general?

Like most sighthounds it's their Achilles heel. Most Borzoi people will just say never off lead unless the area is fenced. They are just too fast and too interested in what's on the horizon. It's much the safest approach.

That said, I do let mine play at the local oval off lead with other dogs and they are very good. And I can walk my two older ones (3 and 9) offlead in the long narrow off lead areas we have around here without a worry. But I'm very experienced as a pet owner with the breed, very vigilant and a half-decent (just, LOL) trainer.

If you want to do a lot of off-lead then go with something else I think.

ps I like Berners too!

pps :laugh: I'm really not trying to convince you to get a 'zoi. I'd much rather they stay a well kept secret than risk even one ending up in a home that may not suit it. I just can't let ludicrously wrong statements about them like 'not a companion dog' stand uncorrected.

Edited by Diva

I find that afghans in general can be a little aloof and so are the salukis. The borzoi seem a lot happier to meet new people and appreciate the attention.

Would definitely agree. My boy lives to meet new people. he gets so excited. In terms of off leash. I don't trust my boy. He'll only come when called if he thinks he'll get a big reward. not dumb, just rather defiant. That said i don't think i'd have any dog off leash in an unfenced area.

What about the Setter breeds....I like the look of the English. NO idea what they are like at all.

My son has an English Setter, he brought him here over Christmas. Gorgeous boy, sweet disposition, totally lazy but I think the different intelligence quotient would frustrate me. The Aussies are quick to pick up on what I want them to do, quick to learn something new, responsive in every way. The setter, well.....he just wasn't. My son says he's the dumbest dog ever born (he might not be far off the mark) but I expect he's not representative of the breed.

I've always loved Borzois so they are definitely an option. How are they off lead in general?

The English Setters seem to be the most gentle of the setters to me, the ones I have met have been gentle and more laid back than your average gundog. The Irish Setters seem to be a bit more active than the English

I'm *vaguely* considering my next dog will *possibly* not be a Collie. Not sure yet, it's hard not to get one :laugh:

Part of me is really keen to have another breed, so I'd like some suggestions in case I haven't thought of a good one.

What I like:

Generally long hair

Laid back inside

Able to live happy on 40-60 min walk a day

Low incidence of dog aggression

Soft temperament

Medium sized up to giant, no little dogs

Sounds like you've just described a Finnish Lapphund :laugh: