Camping With A Dog

Cuchulain

OK, having investigated all the accommodation options available I have decided the only way I am going to be able to afford to go to shows with Max is if I camp. Now, the last time I camped was probably around 25 years ago when I ran the local Girl Guide troop. Since then many things have changed, as I discovered when looking at tents LOL - no more bell tents! :laugh::whip::love: YAY!!!! So we have a tent and a cooler box - hate warm beer! I'm sorted for what I need but what does Max need?

Obviously food - his normal kibble and I was thinking the sachets will be easier away from home rather than tins. Food and water dishes and 20l of water from home. Then some toys (tug, chew toys, food cube and Kong), his zoom groom, tooth paste and dry treats (currently using Montego or Pro Bono), blankets, donut and his pillow (I don't enjoy sharing my pillow). I don't have a crate yet - I'm saving up for one, they are horrendously expensive - so he'll be tethered with the agility dogs while I work (either runner or steward) and then spend the rest of the time with me and sleep in the tent with me. Other than first aid stuff, what have I missed? I'm sure there's lots...

OK, now the first aid stuff - I haven't a clue what I should be taking for Max...suggestions please! :o I don't currently have any first aid stuff for him.

Does anybody else do this camping thing regularly? Am I nuts?

I will compile a check list and post it for others to use - I like lists - they make my life soooo much easier.

Edited by Cuchulain

I think when travelling a crate is one of the most important things that you can have for the safety and security of your dog.

I NEVER tie my dog up at training or trialing. The one time I did she narrowly avoided being bitten when some idiot allowed their dog aggressive Lab to rush and attck her, luckily it hit the end of it's lead.

I just do not trust others will do the right thing with their dog and by my dog.

I had a swag, a tent, a crate, obviously leads, poop bags, food, water treats etc. etc required and clothes.

Dog food, small camp oven and esky with bacon eggs bread and mushrooms along with coffee, sugar and long life milk, and a small frypan and saucepan. Generally we bought tea from a fast food place.

Um a longer lead to toilet and exercise them on.

Think that is it for now :laugh:

I just sleep in the back of our jeep when i take one dog. i have done this for several work-shops/events. I just take food for the dog and leads. With lots of drinks for both of us. I hate sleeping in a tent and find the back quite comfy and my newf thought she was very special sleeping with me :laugh:

We have a tarp that goes over the car, attaches to the roof rack and some poles and extends well beyond the car. It also gives shade to the car and we can leave the windows open and she is quite comfortable and cool

Yeah, I forgot to mention the poop scoop stuff, I have a box of stuff permanently in the back of the panel van. I did consider sleeping in the back of the van but it's too short and I think it'll be freaking uncomfortable with me and Max (RR) in the back.

Great ideas, thanks guys. Crate is top of the shopping list but at ZAR3500 it might have to wait a little while. :laugh:

Sorry Pointees, we were posting at the same time. I don't have a coat for him yet but I think we'll be fine. Show is over the Easter weekend and it shouldn't be too cold (hoping and praying!)

Edited by Cuchulain

Ouch. That's about AU$500 :(

I don't suppose you would be able to order something cheaper from on-line? I know here in aus we can often get things much cheaper from the US...

I haven't been camping in some years, been too busy working, but I used to go frequently.

You seem to have things pretty much covered, and as you do it more often you will work out what you do and don't need, it tends to be a bit of a trial and error process, but you will love it!

Good Luck :)

Yeah, Jake, I've had a look, the US$-ZAR exchange rate isn't really in our favour right now but I'm keeping my eyes open for discounted shipping (which is what really kills buying overseas for us). I've been drooling over the lovely stuff you guys in Aus can get for your dogs - we don't seem to have that much available over here! I've been looking in particular for food-based training aids like liver treats - nada! It's very sad really. Perhaps I should start importing from Aus in bulk and resell :laugh:

EFS

Edited by Cuchulain

Awww I love those sibley bell tents they are cool!

Theres plenty of camping checklists you can print out from the net. It makes life easier.

Dog stuff in general, but a medic bag should be taken with tick remover etc.

Edited by GeckoTree

We loooove camping & we always take the dogs (3 std poodles & 2 human kids :laugh: )....We have a large Xpen so they are never tethered & a very comfy XXL soft sided awesome crate that they all snuggle up at nite together. (I was lucky enough to buy from a DOLer here!)

Go the power site if available & you can ahve a home away from home :laugh:

Doggy first aid kit is very similar to all the stuff I take for the humans....so we can share if needed :rofl: ....I always have vetrap, bandages & swabs. Some saline for cleaning or flushing any probs, tube of cortisone cream, disposable gloves, antihistame tabs, anti diarr. tabs and of course towels & poo bags.

Good coffee & biccies, choccies. Champagne & cheese :thumbsup:

Have fun!

Take your OWN water!!!! Do not rely on town water for where you are at for drinking. That goes for you and the dog. I know of dogs who have had the squirts etc from drinking the local town water. Town water otherwise is fine for washing up etc.

TOILET PAPER. You never know when the porta loo or where-ever you are runs out!! I keep a roll in the car at all times.

Mosquito repellant, Sun screen, Stingose or similar.

Rechargable lights (I have a number of LED lights/torches)

Cover for you and your dog. (gazebo or something to keep you under shade/out of rain)

If you go for a Crate - look in the local paper's for second hand crates. Much cheaper than new and many are still very servicable. Sometimes I crate, sometimes I don't depends on where I am. I also have a dog trailer, so again depends on where I am.

Fold up table

I use those butane stoves - excellent unless it it REALLY cold (Have had butane cans freeze). If you are going somewhere cold, then a normal gas stove is better.

Tent - I have one of those Oztrail touring tents. If you go for this style, I recommend the 9V plus. It's about $80 more than the straight 9V, but if it's wet, it gives you more room inside to store stuff and help against cabin fever. I also prefer canvas, they breath better than the synthetic tents.

I also have a swag and stretcher or last time I threw the swag in the back of the ute.

First Aid; I have a normal first aid kit that stays in the car. If you are going away with dogs, I also make sure I have one packet of "gastro-stop" and "antihistomine" in the car. Both available from chemists.

Food:

Stick to what your dog is used to. Keep it simple. The dog can be stressed going away, and you don't want to introduce something that will go through them making your and their weekend "painful" to deal with. If you are only away for a night or two, then I would just stick to the kibble if that is what you normally feed.

Guest RosieFT

Only thing I can add as have only been camping once with the dog (and kids!), is to realise that you feel the cold WAAY more than if you were in your home. We went camping over summer, but in a place that was around 25 in the day and was cold at night and our fox terrier froze :-( . Did not even think to bring her a coat - and she was in the tent with us. She was ok when burrowed into our sleeping bags (not quite what i had in mind but her bed was not warm enough for her), but the night wees and early mornings had her shivering :-( .