Puppy Breeders

terry f

Code of Ethics aside, why would you want to sell the product of your blood, sweat and tears in breeding to someone who's promptly going to crossbreed?

Good dogs need to perpetuate their breed, not produce F1 crosses to line someone's pocket.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code of Ethics aside, why would you want to sell the product of your blood, sweat and tears in breeding to someone who's promptly going to crossbreed?

Good dogs need to perpetuate their breed, not produce F1 crosses to line someone's pocket.

Couldn't agree more.

I personally think that because there is a demand for these dogs and people want them, they will end up getting one no matter what which is supporting the puppy farmer trade.

The demand was created in part by a person with a beef with the purebred dog fancy, is based on misinformation and is fuelled by ignorance.

No amount of responsible breeding can make an F1 crossbred reliable in terms of appearance, temperment and non-shedding. Guide dogs got out of the game for a reason.

The people that continue to churn out F1 crosses don't look beyond their bank balances. There is little money to be made in responsibly and ethically breeding dogs.

The people that want one "no matter what" won't be interested in waiting for pups or being vetted by breeders. They'll go where they've always gone until those sources are shut down.

That is interesting about the Guide dogs and you people sure do know a lot.

I think the demand is because they are 1. Considered cute 2. Non-shedding 3. The latest fad

Just my opinion

I personally think that because there is a demand for these dogs and people want them, they will end up getting one no matter what which is supporting the puppy farmer trade.

The demand was created in part by a person with a beef with the purebred dog fancy, is based on misinformation and is fuelled by ignorance.

No amount of responsible breeding can make an F1 crossbred reliable in terms of appearance, temperment and non-shedding. Guide dogs got out of the game for a reason.

The people that continue to churn out F1 crosses don't look beyond their bank balances. There is little money to be made in responsibly and ethically breeding dogs.

The people that want one "no matter what" won't be interested in waiting for pups or being vetted by breeders. They'll go where they've always gone until those sources are shut down.

I think the demand is because they are 1. Considered cute 2. Non-shedding 3. The latest fad

Just my opinion

There is no guarantee that they will be non-shedding :thumbsup:

Just my opinion

There is no guarantee that they will be non-shedding :

Absolutely true, and it is people who know nothing about these crossbreeds making such idiotic statements that keeps these puppy farmers in business!

Edited by poodlemum

Just my opinion

There is no guarantee that they will be non-shedding :

Absolutely true, and it is people who know nothing about these crossbreeds making such idiotic statements that keeps these puppy farmers in business!

Sorry, should have clarified my statement. Some people THINK they are non shedding, not me. :thumbsup:

Has anybody read the latest Pet Stock magazine "Pet Lifestyle"? It has an interview with Wally Conron, the former Guide Dog Breeding Manager who invented the labradoodle. Just some random quotes from the article - it's not available online yet.

"Were breeders bothering to check their sires and bitches for hereditary faults, or were they simply caught up in delivering to hungry customers the next status symbol?" - Wally Conron.

"Many of the breeds that followed Wally's example have proved either behaviourally difficult or unsuitable to the purpose for which they were bred."

"A hell of a lot of the labradoodles are crazy.... if you have breeds that have histories of OCD, PRA, HD or epilepsy or something, you're asking for trouble." - Wally Conron.

"People think they're all allergy free, but they're not. Very few are." - Wally Conron.

The article itself is a bit of a mish mash - a great number of the quotes from Wally damns the doodles, however the article still attempts to praise Wally for creating a great new breed and starting the designer dog craze. I think the author started out with a conclusion before doing the research, but in the process of researching discovered that the conclusion wasn't necessarily as attractive as he'd thought.

Good on ya, Wally :cheer:

This is the site where the edition will eventually appear.

Pet Lifestyle Magazine

Sylvia

As a lover of dogs I would just like the best for them so since I think they are going to be bred anyway (whether we like it or not) the best scenario out of a bad situation would be if they could be bred eithically.

When money is the primary concern for the breeder then no matter what you do animals suffer

there a puppy farmers, registered breeders, non reg breeders of purebreed, BYBers etc all working in different ways with different dogs but at the end of the day money rules for them and their dogs suffer. I know some BYBers that care for their dogs better then a couple of Reg breeders. They abide more to the code of ethics and would spend their last cent on their dogs. Life is not black and white.

ETA yeah I read that article .. it's so poorly written it's not funny. They immediately call it a new 'breed' in there too which it's not.

Did you read the police dog one ... I want myself a bouvier de lenders :cheer:

Edited by Nekhbet

Ohy my god, the rivergum website is terrible! (http://www.rivergumdesignerpuppies.com.au/)

The mothers look so sad and some of the puppies look quite unhealthy. Isn't it obvious that they are a puppy farm? No good, ethical breeder would have over 10 litters of puppies at the one time! as if they would even have more than one or two. There were SO MANY puppies for sale! I don't know if it was just me but I thought the mums all had a really hopeless look in their eyes, the poor things, it is heartbreaking!

I am depressed now.