What's The Right Thing To Do...

RL1

I spoke to the owners this afternoon and went over to their home and met the pup. They were both very nice about it.

I was quite surprised.

The total cost was over $4000. The puppy was in Sunday night and came home this afternoon after a stay at the Vets/Hospital.

He has one clean break between the elbow and shoulder ??, plus there are another couple breaks further down. He also has some small

puncture's near his foot, but the vets aren't convinced my dog has bitten, or if he has, they're only very minor. There aren't any decent puncture marks at all.

Clearly i think if he was intent on biting, there would be obvious large puncture wounds visible.

They think the cause of the broken bones is because of the force applied to the pups leg up against the fence. It's clean broken the top and possibly the leg has

been forced up a second time and caused more breaks further down.

They told me a big chunk of the bill was due to the first overnight stay. All the x rays and pain relief medication ect.

They were good about the situation and even stated how they know it was an accident and made the point that i do the right thing with my dogs and have the good fencing,

always have the gates closed ect ect.

The husband was telling me the reaction from his brother in law, which is typical and one i'd expect when an incident happens with a large dog, even more so with a rottweiler.

The response was "so what is going to happen to the other dog ? "". As if it was a planned, savage attack from a roaming dog on the street.

I've told them i'll contribute something towards the bill and come and see how the pup is on the weekend. Of course they've said i don't need to, but what else would you expect.

I'm just unsure what i should contribute. Any thoughts ?

Edited by RottyLover01

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spoke to the owners this afternoon and went over to their home and met the pup. They were both very nice about it.

I was quite surprised.

The total cost was over $4000. The puppy was in Sunday night and came home this afternoon after a stay at the Vets/Hospital.

He has one clean break between the elbow and shoulder ??, plus there are another couple breaks further down. He also has some small

puncture's near his foot, but the vets aren't convinced my dog has bitten, or if he has, they're only very minor. There aren't any decent puncture marks at all.

Clearly i think if he was intent on biting, there would be obvious large puncture wounds visible.

They think the cause of the broken bones is because of the force applied to the pups leg up against the fence. It's clean broken the top and possibly the leg has

They told me a big chunk of the bill was due to the first overnight stay. All the x rays and pain relief medication ect.

They were good about the situation and even stated how they know it was an accident and made the point that i do the right thing with my dogs and have the good fencing,

The husband was telling me the reaction from his brother in law, which is typical and one i'd expect when an incident happens with a large dog, even more so with a rottweiler.

The response was "so what is going to happen to the other dog ? "". As if it was a planned, savage attack from a roaming dog on the street.

I've told them i'll contribute something towards the bill and come and see how the pup is on the weekend. Of course they've said i don't need to, but what else would you expect.

$4000 and they were quite nice about it :happydance:

I am sure there will be ongoing fees too.

I say you should pay the lot but I know I am alone here. (You asked :thumbsup: )

Edited by becky thatcher

Tough one.

$1k? thats alot for good neighbourly relations. Or $500?

There is no way that it is acceptable for you to pay the lot!!

Good Luck. What a hard situation to be in.

~ Jacqui

* do they have pet insurance? maybe they are covered and thats why they are comfortable about it...?

Edited by jacquilee81

They should have made sure their yard was safe for their pup. If the breaks are due to pressure from the fence when the pup tried to get its leg out of the fence then I wouldn't pay anything. Sorry but youve done the right thing by fencing for your dog, would people expect you to pay for an injury cau sed by your dog while the cat was in your yard, I think not.

I might be showing my legal ignorance here but ,if the fence was built by you, then wouldnt the hole in the fence be your responsibility.

It could be argued in court maybe that the fence was yours and so is the hole that led to the bandaged foot of next doors dog.

Im no legal expert but I think the laws relating to fences and fencing issues are full of grey areas and loopholes.

It's not a gap/hole in the palings, there's a gap below that has been caused by either digging or erosion from all the rain.

Lucky for me i have such nice neighbours.

Once again we have a case of someone else possibly being expected to pay for the lack of responsibility of another.

Pups owner is responsible for keeping their pup safe as far as I am concerned, OPs dog was in its own yard and all reasonable precautions had been taken to keep her dogs and other people and animals safe.

They didn't ask me to contribute, but i did say i would.

]

In this situation, who had the fence built is irrelevant. It is the responsibility of the dogs owner to ensure that the dog is properly contained on the property. The fencing is adequate to contain the OP's dogs, he is not responsible for making sure the neighbors pup is contained and kept safe in their own yard. If the pup can get any part of it's body through the fence it is their responsibility to take steps to rectify it.

That's how i see it. My dogs are secure and safe. I can't be responsible for everyone else. I feel bad for the pup, but it was an accident.

Any news on the injuries?

Oscar was bitten through the fence by our neighbours dog last year... We were building a new fence (they didn't help pay for) But I wanted a fence to keep their dogs away from ours! At the time there was 1 more paling to go on the new fence Oscar was sitting on my lap and I was sitting right next to the fence.. Chris was reaching to get the last paling to nail on.. the idiot guy next door popped his head over and said something stupid .. Oscar turned his head around and next minute his dog had his head through the fence and bit Oscar face!! I quickly looked Oscar over and his lip was bleeding and I said OMG Chris he's bleeding.. The guy next door said was that my dog who did that!! WTF we had to go to PetER and Oscar was seen to etc.. costs us $200 .. the guy next door didn't even say sorry! I would have liked a sorry. We didn't ask for money because I guess I shouldn't have been sitting there with him on my lap with one last paling to go on.. I didn't expect a dog's head to come through and bite him!! The main thing is Oscar wasn't hurt very badly and now we have a fence that their dogs cannot get through

Yes, over $4000 vet bill :happydance:

Thankfully my neighbours are nice people and can see it for what it is, an unfortunate accident.

I say you should pay the lot but I know I am alone here. (You asked :thumbsup: )

You're entitled to your opinion, but i can't see your logic in thinking i should be up for the whole bill.

Have you had a bad experience with a Rottweiler or large dog in the past ?

Yes they were very nice about the whole situation. Really nice people.

Tough one.

~ Jacqui

* do they have pet insurance? maybe they are covered and thats why they are comfortable about it...?

No, i asked them about insurance. They had thought about it, but the pup is only 13 weeks old and they hadn't got around to it.

Edited by RottyLover01

I was quite surprised.

I wouldnt say that the OP shoulw have to pay it all. If they WERE at fault they should have the right to a quote from a different vet to care for the pup. It may have been significantly cheaper to go elsewhere!

But in this case the OP shouldnt take responsibility for the others owners not puppy proofing their back yard- it is part of owning a dog. What can you afford to contribute- I think even $100 would be more than enough because you want too but ultimatly it depends on your finances!!

You're entitled to your opinion, but i can't see your logic in thinking i should be up for the whole bill.

Have you had a bad experience with a Rottweiler or large dog in the past ?

Yes they were very nice about the whole situation. Really nice people.

Tough one.

~ Jacqui

No, i asked them about insurance. They had thought about it, but the pup is only 13 weeks old and they hadn't got around to it.

No bad experience with Rottys or big dogs at all, why would you assume that?

Earlier you said

I don't believe i could be up for any or all of the vet bill, if there turns out to be one. I won't be getting legal advice for a small incident like this.

Well there has turned out to be a vet bill, and a very substantial one at that. How long before good neighbours change their minds when they start to think of the money they have to pay.

As a previous poster said I think you will find fences a very grey area.

Edited by becky thatcher

I wouldnt say that the OP shoulw have to pay it all. If they WERE at fault they should have the right to a quote from a different vet to care for the pup. It may have been significantly cheaper to go elsewhere!

But in this case the OP shouldnt take responsibility for the others owners not puppy proofing their back yard- it is part of owning a dog. What can you afford to contribute- I think even $100 would be more than enough because you want too but ultimatly it depends on your finances!!

They couldn't get quotes because it happened late Sunday afternoon and they had to go straight to the Vet ER and the injury was severe enough that they couldn't wait and take him anywhere else.

I couldn't go over and hand over $100, i'd be embarassed. I know i don't have to pay anything, but i think i should contribute some.

Edited by RottyLover01

No bad experience with Rottys or big dogs at all, why would you assume that?

Earlier you said

I don't believe i could be up for any or all of the vet bill, if there turns out to be one. I won't be getting legal advice for a small incident like this.

Well there has turned out to be a vet bill, and a very substantial one at that. How long before good neighbours change their minds when they start to think of the money they have to pay.

As a previous poster said I think you will find fences a very grey area.

Can i ask how you come to the conclusion that i should foot the entire bill ?

I do not think you have any responsibility under the circumstances to pay anything.

Keeping the peace is important though, but seriously $4000 is a huge bill, I really don't know what I would do.

I don't think i have any responsibility to either. It's simply a nice gesture, nothing else.

I'm also planning to sell here very soon, so keeping the peace doesn't even come into it.

I just think if I was the owner of the other pup, I would be getting advice oh the legalities of it all, that's all. It is a huge amount.

Love Rottys :happydance:

Thankfully they are nice people and can see it was an unfortunate accident. They've admitted they should've taken more care watching him.

They were both inside at the time.

Seriously, getting legal advice over this would be rediculous.

:happydance::thumbsup: OMG to the bill.

My dog was attacked and the people offered to pay but have never coughed up.

I feel that a $1000.00 would be a good offering.

ETA. In my situation I would have negotiated. My dog was not in the wrong. But we where all there enjoying a day out. So in essence I was there so bear some responsibility.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Wowsers, that is a massive bill. I think your neighbours are being extremely generous to you considering it's their first dog and it's only a pup.

I would offer between $500 and $1000. If you can't afford a $1000, I would offer to pay it off. I think the fact that they have been so understanding about it is testament to your relationship for the future. It's nice that they say you don't owe them anything, but there was a hole in the fence, your dog did pull the other pup and their dog got injured. (Personally in saying that the first thing I do as a pet owner and having a yard is making sure that all holes are filled, etc.)

I think a good offering is worthwhile if only for the sake of a good neighbour relationship.

I do note feel you have any responsibility here to pay anything, but an amount you can afford would be a nice gesture. make sure that you drop a note with the money (assuming you do pay something) stating that the money is a good faith payment, and in no way admits any wrong doing on your part or your dogs. Used to study law :thumbsup: , but you need to make sure you are protected in the case these folks talk more to the rellies and start laying blame.

Wowsers, that is a massive bill. I think your neighbours are being extremely generous to you considering it's their first dog and it's only a pup.

I would offer between $500 and $1000. If you can't afford a $1000, I would offer to pay it off. I think the fact that they have been so understanding about it is testament to your relationship for the future. It's nice that they say you don't owe them anything, but there was a hole in the fence, your dog did pull the other pup and their dog got injured. (Personally in saying that the first thing I do as a pet owner and having a yard is making sure that all holes are filled, etc.)

I think a good offering is worthwhile if only for the sake of a good neighbour relationship.

There's a gap under the fence line. Neither myself or the neighbour was aware it existed.

Nobody knows how it happened.

Did my dog grab the other dogs leg and pull him under ?

Did the pup stick it's leg under the fence ?

I think if my dog was attacking the pup, there would be visible damage consistent with biting. I think it would've been a lot worse had my dog been serious.

I don't think it's as clear cut that my dog is solely at fault.

As i've said already, i plan on moving very soon, so keeping the peace is not important. Any money will be a goodwill gesture, nothing more.

I'm a cheapskate.

Put a nice $100 note in a card and write a brief note offering your support if they need it. Perhaps recommend a good vet and/or any contacts you have for physio and rehab because no doubt the poor little tyke is going to need it long term.

Any more than that and they'll start thinking you are made of money and possibly expect more. As you (and they) have said, it is NOT your responsibility. I do agree that if your dog had more involvement, there would be a lot more damage. I've seen the end result from when an Afghan pulled a Whippet puppy partially through a fence and that wasn't very nice at all.