What's The Right Thing To Do...

RL1

I say you should pay the lot but I know I am alone here. (You asked :thumbsup: )

Uhm, why do you think the OP should pay the entire bill?

If her dog had not been there, I doubt there would have been an injury.

I agree with lorraine, people get talking to rellies, around the water cooler at work, etc.

And can I add that situations and peoples attitudes can change. Currently going through a situation with a tenant which started out fantastic for about 5 years and has now turned sour.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say you should pay the lot but I know I am alone here. (You asked :thumbsup: )

I agree with lorraine, people get talking to rellies, around the water cooler at work, etc.

And can I add that situations and peoples attitudes can change. Currently going through a situation with a tenant which started out fantastic for about 5 years and has now turned sour.

If the puppy didn't stick its foot under the fence it wouldn't have happened.

Exactly...the OP's dog was in it's own yard, it's not like the dog was walking the streets or had broken into the neighbours property.

true true

its not like your dog stuck their head under the fence and by chance grabbed the other puppys' leg.

wow what a vet bill. have you actually seen the bill itemised or is that what hey told you.

Where did they take the dog???

while I feel for the puppy, they are the ones that should of checked their side of their property for holes in the fence. They are the ones who should of fixed it.

We had an incident at Mum and dads place one day when the neighbours pitbull stuck its nose through a deer fence underneath a hedge. One of our Bulldogs attached herself to its nose and held on. Words were exchanged but they didnt come back at us for any vet bills. Our dogs couldnt get through the fence but theirs unfortunately stuck its nose through.

If my dog had been sticking it's body parts under our fence and got injured, whether the neighbours dog was involved or not, there is no way I would expect them to pay the bill. It is my responsibility to make sure my pets are safe in my yard. It would be nice if they offered to pay some money towards it, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

$4000 sure is a scary vet bill! :thumbsup: Poor pup, I hope he recovers okay.

See therein lies the problem. Many sides to the story.

Currently we have gaps along a fence where a lawnmower contractor of a neighbour keeps continually hitting the fence. Our puffball and the neighours puffball continually have "words" through the gap. If our dog gets injured putting her face through a gap the neighbours indirectly have caused who is to blame? I am just saying that there are many sides to a story, that's all. :laugh:

I'm a cheapskate.

Put a nice $100 note in a card and write a brief note offering your support if they need it. Perhaps recommend a good vet and/or any contacts you have for physio and rehab because no doubt the poor little tyke is going to need it long term.

Any more than that and they'll start thinking you are made of money and possibly expect more. As you (and they) have said, it is NOT your responsibility. I do agree that if your dog had more involvement, there would be a lot more damage. I've seen the end result from when an Afghan pulled a Whippet puppy partially through a fence and that wasn't very nice at all.

I agree almost totally with Ellz, but I would not pay ANYTHING - there is nothing to show that your dog was responsible and, if you give them money, even $100, they may take it as an admission that your dog is at fault. I feel sorry for the people with the $4000 vet bill, but they should supervise their dog more carefully.

$4000?? I can't believe a little paw could cost so much to fix??????????????????????????????????????? OMG, really? That's a huge bill. You are fortunate that they are being so reasonable.

Sounds about right to me. It is broken and he had to stay in hospital have drags and pain relief etc..

becky thatcher - any chance you are a 1st year law student??

I would not contribute to the vet bill - would be interesting to know whether they have pet insurance.

I would do what a previous person said - buy something for puppy - a nice bed, some chew type toys to entertain it while its confined, some treats and a soft puppy toy etc. For the people - wine or a voucher for dinner somewhere or the like.

i wouldn't be paying anything, after all ,the worst injuries were the breaks, caused by the dog getting its foot stuck/caught on the fence, which could have happened anytime in the future ,spooked by anything. the puncture wounds were minor, and not even confirmed. :laugh:

simple accident, can't believe people here expect you to cough up a grand for this :D is everyone else here rich :thumbsup:

I would not contribute to the vet bill - would be interesting to know whether they have pet insurance.

I would do what a previous person said - buy something for puppy - a nice bed, some chew type toys to entertain it while its confined, some treats and a soft puppy toy etc. For the people - wine or a voucher for dinner somewhere or the like.

no, but I think I would have loved to have done law. :thumbsup:

I asked them about insurance and they were thinking about it, but don't have it at the moment.

I wouldnt pay anthing towards the bill, didnt you pay for the entire fence? did they contribute to that?

Maybe a get well doggy card and hamper like someone suggested is as far as i would go. This is not your fault.

i wouldn't be paying anything, after all ,the worst injuries were the breaks, caused by the dog getting its foot stuck/caught on the fence, which could have happened anytime in the future ,spooked by anything. the puncture wounds were minor, and not even confirmed. :laugh:

simple accident, can't believe people here expect you to cough up a grand for this :D is everyone else here rich :thumbsup:

I was actually thinking $1000 plus, but not so sure now. I've already told them i'll come and see how he is over the weekend and contribute something.

I wouldnt pay anthing towards the bill, didnt you pay for the entire fence? did they contribute to that?

Maybe a get well doggy card and hamper like someone suggested is as far as i would go. This is not your fault.

I built / paid for the fence before they had a dog. I paid for all the fences here. I never ask for money from neighbours. I get the fence i want that way.

post-17414-1267609125_thumb.jpg <<< That's the fence in question.