What's The Right Thing To Do...

RL1

Sometimes things just happen and for puppy's owners it was obviously a lesson they needed to learn about pet ownership. :crossfingers:

Rexiam, it's an expensive lesson. $800 for the pup about 5 weeks ago and now a vet bill in excess of $4000. They did refer to him as the golden boy.

We had thousands of dollars of vet bills last year. I just don't think about it as it is just part of pet ownership. We used to call Rex our Golden Boy too :crossfingers:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what have you decided to do?

Nothing as yet. I've just put off going to see them again.

They still haven't touched the fence. Stupid IMO. The guy is quite handy building wise too.

Well, if they're not willing to help ensure their pup's safety in the future, I personally wouldn't be giving them anything. Are they naive enough to think that a puppy is going to think "gee, I did that and it hurt me last time, I'm not going to try that again?"

:grouphug:

Well, if they're not willing to help ensure their pup's safety in the future, I personally wouldn't be giving them anything. Are they naive enough to think that a puppy is going to think "gee, I did that and it hurt me last time, I'm not going to try that again?"

:grouphug:

Ahhh if only they would think like that!! Wouldn't life be easier? :cry:

They only thing I would give them is to perhaps patch up my side of the fence. :cry:

That's weird! If it was me that would be fixed as soon as we got home from the vet! Are they watching the dog in the yard more? Is it an inside dog?

Yes, they allow the dog inside. I have heard them calling him away from the fence. The pup is still curious, so is my dog. They have yet to do anything to the fence.

Im sorry but I havent read ALL the posts here but Rottylover where did this hole start from?I mean did your dog dig it from his/her side or was it from the puppy's side?

My yard is on a slope. My fence is built on the top of a block retaining wall. So the pup has to climb onto the top of the block wall first, or at least stand up on it's rear feet.

The gap is where the ground has either been dug a little, or the rain has eroded enough away to allow the puppy to get it's leg under.

It's physically impossible for my dog, a large Rottweiler, to get under the fence.

Edited by RottyLover01

But not impossible for it(your dog) to dig a hole is it?To get this over with Rottylover just block this gap/hole or whatever.Who cares who's dog is at fault really,you know there is a hole/gap so whether pups owner does it or you...just do it!At least this way it sets your mind at ease,surely????

Edited by DogCat

But not impossible for it(your dog) to dig a hole is it?To get this over with Rottylover just block this gap/hole or whatever.Who cares who's dog is at fault really,you know there is a hole/gap so whether pups owner does it or you...just do it!At least this way it sets your mind at ease,surely????

The OP took all precautions to ensure the security of her dogs and to keep them contained, the neighbours now need to lift their game and ensure that THEIR pup is safe.

Why is it that no one can accept respopnsibility for their own, you buy a pup you keep it safe, it isn't rocket science.

They have have time to fix this, they haven't.

The OP took all precautions to ensure the security of her dogs and to keep them contained, the neighbours now need to lift their game and ensure that THEIR pup is safe.

Why is it that no one can accept respopnsibility for their own, you buy a pup you keep it safe, it isn't rocket science.

As far as I can make out here I do not know whose dog is at fault with the hole under the fenceline.As far as Im concerned BOTH owners are now aware of the situation with this hole so to avoid any more controversery someone HAS to fix it!!What is so bloody hard with that,I ask?I have a dog here that goes out of her way to be a 'bitch' with the neighbours dog cos of a small gap in the fenceline and I have done my best with controlling that,so come on these people can do the same thing as far as Im concerned!You LOVE your dog,you will do anything to keep her/him!

As far as I can make out here I do not know whose dog is at fault with the hole under the fenceline.As far as Im concerned BOTH owners are now aware of the situation with this hole so to avoid any more controversery someone HAS to fix it!!What is so bloody hard with that,I ask?I have a dog here that goes out of her way to be a 'bitch' with the neighbours dog cos of a small gap in the fenceline and I have done my best with controlling that,so come on these people can do the same thing as far as Im concerned!You LOVE your dog,you will do anything to keep her/him!

Lets look at it this way, you have a fenced yard that has gaps far too small for a big dog to squeeze under but gaps all the same, you buy a small pup, what do you do?

Do you go next door and ask the neighbours to stop your dog getting in to their yard or do you puppy proof your own yard??

could you just put a couple of bricks in the gap for now?

i have the same fencing here, retaining wall with 6 foot wooden fence on top, on a slope, there is one spot where i can see a small gap, same as yours, i have a house being built atm next to me, after 9 years of nothing being there, i know the new owners have bunnie's, and don't like dogs :) , they told me, so will be making sure they know to check the fences for gaps, but i will put a few bricks along the ones i can see this side.

As far as I can make out here I do not know whose dog is at fault with the hole under the fenceline.

We have just had a 16 page discussion on that subject, and it is very clear that the person that started this thread is not at fault.

There are people here that do understand how QLD dog laws work, and good advice has been given. If you cannot make out who is at fault, maybe it's not such a good idea to offer opinion on it. But if you read the whole thread you might understand a bit better.

I agree with Crisovar. People are responsible for the safety of their own dogs.

While it may be lovely of Rottielover to offer to help with the fence or whatever, he doesn't have to, an alternative would be for him to notify the council, and ask if they could have a word to the puppy owner about dog control laws and fences.

It is not up to any of us to take responsibility for building enclosures for other people's dogs.

Im sorry but I havent read ALL the posts here but Rottylover where did this hole start from?I mean did your dog dig it from his/her side or was it from the puppy's side?

Does anyone else find this annoying "I can't be bothered actually READING the 16 pages on this topic, but I'll throw in my 2 cents' worth anyway" :)

HAD you read the 16 pages, you would know that the OP has gone to considerable trouble & expense to contain his dogs, wheras his neighbours seem to have done nothing.

I believe that RL spent $8000 of his own money to erect the fence, it maintains his dog, the pups leg went on his side so he can't be at fault. The owners of the pup are required to keep their dog in their yard, they should fix the gap - for their own piece of mind at least. That is what a caring, responsible owner would do anyway.

We have stock, many neighbours don't, the boundary fences were bascially fallen down when we bought the property. Legally the neighbours are responsible for the cost of half the fencing we paid for it all as we want to keep our animals safe on our own property.

If you have animals you need to contain them and make sure that they are safe, RL did that by erecting the fence in the first place

If the people with the small pup had half a clue they would have fixed the fence before they even brought the dog home, we had fences that could be dug under etc and we spent days digging under the fence and laying railway sleepers to stop a pup digging under BEFORE we thought about bringing him home. I am actually shocked that they still have not bothered to do anything to stop their pup putting his legs under the fence, I just cant comprehend why they wouldnt do anything????

I believe that RL spent $8000 of his own money to erect the fence, it maintains his dog, the pups leg went on his side so he can't be at fault. The owners of the pup are required to keep their dog in their yard, they should fix the gap - for their own piece of mind at least. That is what a caring, responsible owner would do anyway.

We have stock, many neighbours don't, the boundary fences were bascially fallen down when we bought the property. Legally the neighbours are responsible for the cost of half the fencing we paid for it all as we want to keep our animals safe on our own property.

If you have animals you need to contain them and make sure that they are safe, RL did that by erecting the fence in the first place

+1

My fences have been strengthened from my side to keep my horses in my property. However, my neighbour's side of the fence still allows his lambs to fall through from time to time whereupon they generally perish.

I have NO liability in this case and he has told me that.

I do what I need to do for the safety of my animals. If the worst should happen and they get injured on my fence, or do manage to get through onto his property then that is MY responsibility and I have to act accordingly to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It is beyond comprehension that these people are not taking the incident seriously. $4000 this time....what next? :)

As far as I can make out here I do not know whose dog is at fault with the hole under the fenceline.

We have just had a 16 page discussion on that subject, and it is very clear that the person that started this thread is not at fault.

I agree, and RL's neighbours apparently also agree, but at this point I don't think it actually matters much. And I think we have two completely separate issues here now.

The first is whether RL feels he should contribute to the Vet bill or offer some other kind of contribution.

The second is that the neighbours haven't fixed the gap.

I don't think one necessarily has anything to do with the other. If RL feel's that he wants to make a some contribution to the vet expenses, or to toys or whatever to help the puppy through the recovery period, then he should do that. That was RL's initial gut reaction and I think it demonstrates the kind of person and the kind of neighbour he is. It doesn't need to be huge and RL doesn't need to go into hock over it. The fact the neighbours haven't done anything about fixing the gap under the fence shouldn't be a consideration in that.

The second issue is that RL's neighbours haven't done anything to block the gap. In the interests of RL protecting his dog from being in a similar situation with the puppy I think RL should just go ahead and try to block any puppy sized gaps from his side of the fence... Is it fair? NO. Should he have to? NO. But that will be small comfort if the puppy goes back over to the fence while not being supervised, RL's dog goes over to investigate, puppy sticks its leg through the gap and RL's dog grabs it in play or whatever... another trip to the Pet ER etc and more worry for RL about whether they will complain about his dog to Council...

RottyLover, don't get caught up over their responsibility as dog owners. If you are worried about something happening again, if you can see how another incident may happen and have any concern that it may cause trouble for you and your dog, then you owe it to your dog and yourself to try and prevent it from happening if you can.

Hope you can figure it out for yourself and aren't stressing to much about it. Good luck.