What Kind Of Cake Is Safe For Dogs?

Snout Girl

Hi all

Its Sally's first birthday tomorrow :( :D :cry::laugh: and I would like to make her a cake to celebrate the day.

What kind of cake is safe for dogs to eat? (obviously this is a one off treat and not something I give my dogs every day so I am not too worried about the cake being organic or low fat).

I particulary want to do something nice for her birthday as my poor Sally has kennel cough at the moment and is feeling a bit miserable :(

Any cake ideas? Am thinking a vanilla cake might be ok but I am unsure

Cheers

I avoid anything with the “known baddies” eg sultanas, chocolate etc but my kids pretty much enjoy everything in terms of cakes!

A favourite birthday cake at our place is lemon cake with lemon cream cheese icing. Bubby also adores citrus so he’s also had lemon meringue pie as his birthday “cake” in some years.

Or you can do a strawberry/raspberry cream sponge which my kids also love!!!

You can make dog friendly cakes. I made one for Bomber's first birthday which had carrot, wholemeal flour and some other things and he loved it! :D It was from a recipe that was posted here on DOL in another birthday cake thread. Maybe do a search, i do remember it was in general dog discussion. :cry:

ETA Happy Birthday to Sally for tomorrow :laugh:

Edited by Melbomb

I avoid anything with the “known baddies” eg sultanas, chocolate etc but my kids pretty much enjoy everything in terms of cakes!

A favourite birthday cake at our place is lemon cake with lemon cream cheese icing. Bubby also adores citrus so he’s also had lemon meringue pie as his birthday “cake” in some years.

Or you can do a strawberry/raspberry cream sponge which my kids also love!!!

I want to be your dog.

A couple of frozen bananas dipped in melted carob drops for Sally and really rich chocolate cake which is ABSOLUTELY BAD FOR DOGS :laugh: so then you can eat that all up yourself :laugh:

Great idea boronia!

Since my dog ate a piece of sushi last night, and enjoyed it, I really don't think I can comment :laugh:

I've made sushi especially for dogs with stuff like kangaroo meat in it :laugh:

For Boo's first birthday I made "Mini Muttloaf pupcakes" essentially it's meatloaf minus onion, you can cook as normal and serve it as a loaf but I spooned it into patty cases while it was still warn and pressed down, then let them cool in the fridge before decorating with "icing" of cream cheese mixed with olive oil and a bit of honey.

Spread the "icing" on top and I used assorted dog treats and kibble to make puppy faces on them.

Guest *Pixie*

For Finta's first birthday I bought a plain madeira cake, covered it in natural yoghurt as icing, and decorated it with carob drops and jelly writing.

FintaCake.jpg

It was a hit

TillyBrodyFintaEating.jpg

BrodyMore.jpg

TillyBrodyFintaHats.jpg

Check with bedazzeledx2 her mum makes a fantastic dog cake, she made it one Christmas breakup for our Agility club and the dogs all loved it. Nice and dog healthy too. I've misplaced my copy of the recipe but its a great one to have.