When Is A Puppy Not A Puppy ?

Is there a officially-determined age that a puppy is technically no longer a puppy ?

No real reason except out of interest. I am sure there's an age in showing where a pup is no longer eligible, not sure if there's any other standards on this issue.

(and thinking about when I might stop calling out 'pup pup' to my 30kg lab in the park :laugh: - and yes, I know the lab will probably be still a pup at 3)

Is there a officially-determined age that a puppy is technically no longer a puppy ?

No real reason except out of interest. I am sure there's an age in showing where a pup is no longer eligible, not sure if there's any other standards on this issue.

(and thinking about when I might stop calling out 'pup pup' to my 30kg lab in the park :laugh: - and yes, I know the lab will probably be still a pup at 3)

Dear Mrs TS - I have a 10yo Lab girl here and she still gets called puppy when she is bounding about being adorably silly.

From a "show ring" perspective puppies are age classed as follows:

- baby puppy 3-6 months

- minor puppy 6-9 months

- puppy class 6-12 months

Additionally, most Local Governments require dogs to be registered once they reach 12 weeks of age.

Up until that time they are regarded as a puppy.

(and thinking about when I might stop calling out 'pup pup' to my 30kg lab in the park :thumbsup: - and yes, I know the lab will probably be still a pup at 3)

Probably? Definitely!! :thumbsup: My two are 3 now... and Ruby acts like a 6 month old when out in public, though she acts like an old woman at home!

And they are forever my puppies, no matter their age :laugh:

I consider a dog to no longer be a puppy at 12 months, not sure why. But I still call Kyzer my "Puppy Boy" even though he is 3 and the oldest of my two :laugh: :laugh: It really annoys OH :laugh:

Darcy is 2 in just over a month and he still acts like a puppy :laugh: But every now and then I see a glimpse of an adult dog... He is starting to test boundaries, especially now that he has so many other dogs around. In particular, he likes to pick fights with Phantom (who I think is 3 and still acts like a puppy :laugh:)