Tumor On Paw

Hello everyone my name is Michelle. I have read your forum on and off for a long time gleaning bits of info and interesting advice but never did I think I would be asking this kind of advice.

My 14 year old male Maltese x Shitzu has a tumour very large on bottom of rear paw.I had finally psyched myself to get to the vet and if told it was cancer had made the decision to put him to sleep.

Vet threw me a curve ball if it is benign it cannot be removed successfully from where it is and he would have to have the leg removed, Crikey she also said that due to his age not to put him through the biopsy if I didnt feel I could go through with the op, but of course if cancer then we will euthenase.

I booked for the biopsy Friday but am terribly confused re this leg removal if benign. I am in a total confusion.

I really appreciate your comments

I the tumour is benign is there an option to leave it alone? Or is the dog in too much discomfort from it? Removing a leg is pretty drastic in a dog that age. Maybe a second opinion if you wanted some more options?

Take this one step at a time.

1. Biopsy. You can't make any decision until you know what you're dealing with.

2. If benign, can it be successfully removed? You don't know yet because the vet hasn't seen it.

3. Can you and your dog deal with an amputation. Dogs tend to take these things in their stride and provided your dog is healthy, he'd probably be fine.

The smaller these things are, the easier they are to deal with. Delay removes options.

I hope it's benign and removeable. Think through the options and talk to your vet.

Good replies from the two people. My dog had an amputation for cancer two years ago. If you think you can handle it, I agree with poodlefan

Dogs tend to take these things in their stride and provided your dog is healthy, he'd probably be fine.

A back leg is better than a front leg and a small dog copes better too.(so I have heard, though ours is a medium sized dog)

Anyway, wait and see what you are dealing with :(

Take this one step at a time.

1. Biopsy. You can't make any decision until you know what you're dealing with.

2. If benign, can it be successfully removed? You don't know yet because the vet hasn't seen it.

3. Can you and your dog deal with an amputation. Dogs tend to take these things in their stride and provided your dog is healthy, he'd probably be fine.

The smaller these things are, the easier they are to deal with. Delay removes options.

I hope it's benign and removeable. Think through the options and talk to your vet.

Thankyou poodlefan. Totally agree one step at a time and until I have the biopsy result cant really say how I will feel. The tumour has gone large, very quickly from when I became aware of it, infact I am surprised Matey hadn't been limping sooner as by then it was almost the size of his paw but flatter, now it is more raised. According to the vet it cannot be removed. I can deal with the amputation am a nurse in the real world. My worry is will he! Fingers crossed. Thankyou also Snoopy and Becky for your input.

I would never put a 14 yr old through an amputation.

Im sorry to say i would sooner enjoy the time with 4 legs & go day by day than put an oldie through all the pain & rehab required with an amputation & learning to walk again.

I would never put a 14 yr old through an amputation.

Im sorry to say i would sooner enjoy the time with 4 legs & go day by day than put an oldie through all the pain & rehab required with an amputation & learning to walk again.

I think that would be my option also. So long as he doesnt appear to be suffering.

But I would be seeking a 2nd opinion, even a 3rd.

It would be good if they could remove the tumor at least.

Hello everyone my name is Michelle. I have read your forum on and off for a long time gleaning bits of info and interesting advice but never did I think I would be asking this kind of advice.

My 14 year old male Maltese x Shitzu has a tumour very large on bottom of rear paw.I had finally psyched myself to get to the vet and if told it was cancer had made the decision to put him to sleep.

Vet threw me a curve ball if it is benign it cannot be removed successfully from where it is and he would have to have the leg removed, Crikey she also said that due to his age not to put him through the biopsy if I didnt feel I could go through with the op, but of course if cancer then we will euthenase.

I booked for the biopsy Friday but am terribly confused re this leg removal if benign. I am in a total confusion.

I really appreciate your comments

You only need a needle aspirate to check the tumour, not a full biopsy yet...

My stafford was 12 last June and had a toe removed due to a tumour that was diagnosed with a needle aspirate as a round cell tumour - he already has mast cell cancer (not curable) and we still operated to remove the toe...

At 14 for a Maltese cross, I would think it that although not easy, it is doable. They don't have to take the whole leg, they could just remove the foot - dogs do just as well on 3 as they do on 4... Yes there is rehabilitation involved but it can be done.

I would be getting a second opinion if I was you before the biopsy to determine if it is cancer or benign. Maybe they can use drugs to just shrink the tumour to make it more comfortable, instead of removing it - there are lots of options (sadly some vets just don't offer them all for what ever reason)

I wish you lots of luck - please get another opinion.

As Staffyluv said I would have thought a needle aspirate first but you know you think the vet knows best and so they did a biopsy yesterday. Result due probably Wed due to public Hol. However I have decided either way to see this through I am going to get another opinion I will not have the whole leg removed for a non-cancerous tumour and if cancer then I am going to nurse him through it with appropriate pain medication as needed. My reasoning is at this stage he is not ill he hardly got in from the vets yesterday and he wanted to eat come what may.

He is always happy as long he is beside my self or my daughter even now he is cuddled in a rug on my bed,Comp is in my bedroom. Even when I am at work, I have rugs here and there so he always has warmth to lie on. He is one spoilt dog and boy don't we know it.