How Often Do You Bathe Your Dog?

I used to be very anal when I first got my dog and used to bathe him every two weeks on the dot as well as change and clean all his bedding every fortnight. Three years on I'm definitely more lack in this department, I have a small breed dog who's mainly indoors so now I only wash him whenever I remember to or when his coat starts feeling a bit greasy. Generally this is around 3 - 4 weeks and I don't really care too much about his bedding anymore, unless it starts to really smell.

What about everyone else?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have 4 kelpies that do dog sports (including herding) and they are probably washed every 2-3mths I dont even bother for shows etc. They are all indoor and have access to furniture (including bed) but they tend not to smell or get greasy. as soon as they do they get bathed!

My Lappie pup was being washed every 2-3weeks but that has dropped down to 6-8wks. I clean her whites for shows though (well I would really call them greys atm though!)

Is it bad I DON'T really wash Shyla regularly? I don't think she had a bath since like Oct/Nov! She never smells or gets oily

Nope probably just means she is healthy and getting a balanced diet so her natural oils are working properly!!

Well, my dogs go to the dog park everyday where they wrestle with each other. So they get brushed everyday and sponge bathed if required. They also get properly bathed every two weeks, but with a soap free organic shampoo.

My dogs sleep in my bedroom so they need to be clean :o

The ones that are in the paddock only ever get a bath about a week before they whelp.

The house dogs when they need it but as little as possible.

I know if I had a dog which needed constant grooming I would neglect it because its not something I would go out of my way to do. I know some people really enjoy the whole process but not me. You gotta know your limitations.

Allie and Mistral are bathed before shows if they are looking a bit off white, however I will be showing Allie this weekend and not bathing her, she hasn't been bathed in about 4 weeks now, shows almost every weekend of that time. Her coat is perfectly clean and lovely I see no reason to remove all those wonderful natural oils if I don't have too, much better for the coat in the long run.

Lestat never really gets bathed, if he stinks I dump him in but other wise he might get two a year at most.

All house dogs with access to everything.

The bedding I clean every fortnight or so because that does get a little feral.

Bedding gets changed a couple of times a week but the dogs really only a get a bath when they are being shown. The white dogs are bathed each week that they show and the Staffords get rinsed off with warm water and maybe bathed once a month or every couple of months.

Fed on a good diet, your dogs shouldn't smell or need bathing unless they get into something nasty.

About once a month... that's because someone will always spill something on charlie... tomato sauce, colesaw, chocolate topping etc!

Longer is possible. Charlie doesn't have doggy odor or anything like that.