Lab With Lymphoma Starting Chemo

halledaisy

From memory there were 4 or 5 times where I thought I was doing the wrong thing by Ollie - times when he got sick during chemo... And it is so hard to see them sick like that but honestly they do pick up, they do have times when the chemo does nothing at all, they also have times like these that make you question why you are doing this - is it worth it, are they in pain...

Sometimes the drugs to make them ill but it could also be a combination of the drugs and something she has picked up - the chemo does drop their immune system which makes them more prone to pick up any bugs going around... (this was Ollie's problem because I would not keep him locked up at home, we still went to the park every day for a walk)...

The no food for a couple of days really won't hurt but you have to be able to keep them hydrated because a sick dog (with a temperature) will dehydrate very quickly...

She is in the best place at the vets on a drip...

Good luck

Sadly, I have very bad news. Our battle is over much sooner than I had hoped. The drip and anti nausea medication did nothing to improve her wellbeing and the tests showed cancer cells in her blood. The vet thinks her spleen and liver were also possibly effected (although wouldn't know for sure without biopsy which she couldn't have handled). As she could barely move, wouldn't eat (and when she did a few days ago she just vomitted) and just looked like it was time, we decided that the best thing for her was to end the battle so that is what I have done. I am so sad, but she had just had enough. I think either the cancer had already spread much more than they thought originally or she was just one of those few dogs that doesn't react well to the treatment. Thank you so much to all those that have helped me through this time, it was lovely to talk to you all and it has made such a difference. My next worry is now how my other lab (Daisy a few years younger than Halle) copes without her big sister. I hope she will be ok.

Sadly, I have very bad news. Our battle is over much sooner than I had hoped. The drip and anti nausea medication did nothing to improve her wellbeing and the tests showed cancer cells in her blood. The vet thinks her spleen and liver were also possibly effected (although wouldn't know for sure without biopsy which she couldn't have handled). As she could barely move, wouldn't eat (and when she did a few days ago she just vomitted) and just looked like it was time, we decided that the best thing for her was to end the battle so that is what I have done. I am so sad, but she had just had enough. I think either the cancer had already spread much more than they thought originally or she was just one of those few dogs that doesn't react well to the treatment. Thank you so much to all those that have helped me through this time, it was lovely to talk to you all and it has made such a difference. My next worry is now how my other lab (Daisy a few years younger than Halle) copes without her big sister. I hope she will be ok.

Such distressing news and I am truly saddened tonight to read this :cry::cry: I am so sorry that you have lost your beautiful girl so quickly :cry: I know how devastated you must be feeling right now and my heart goes out to you :hug: :hug: You made the gut wrenching courageous decision to end her suffering and free her from any more pain and I know how awful it is to have to make that awful decision when we have spent their whole lives loving and protecting them :cry: It is the one final act of love and kindness where we have to put our own feelings aside and do what is right for them, although it is killing us on the inside to have to do that. :cry: Hugs to Daisy for her loss also :cry: and you are both in my thoughts tonight as you grieve the loss of your beloved Halle :cry: .

RIP beautiful Halle and run free at the :rainbowbridge: with all the other Labbies and my special beloved boy, Fitzy, will show you around :cry:

So many hugs to you Halledaisy and other members of your family and of course Daisy. Many here are following the same path in one way and another and I am sure those who read your posts of your journey have been or will be helped by them and also the invaluable advice from the other very friendly forum members here.

Michelle.. RIP Halle