Maintaining Pregnancy - Progesterone Level

BJean

What is the progesterone level required to maintain pregnancy?

How low can progesterone drop before the pregancy / puppies are compromised?

Does progesterone drop in all causes (ie infection, congenital defect etc) where the puppies will not make it to term

ie is the progesterone dropping necessary to the process of a bitch reabsorbing/aborting her litter for any reason?

For those that have monitored low prog levels in a pregnant bitch before, at what week did the progesterone start to decline?

How did you supplement progesterone - tablets or injection?

thankyou

:laugh:

Edited by lilli

Supplementation can be considered in previously problematic bitches if progesterone falls below 5 ng/ml before day 55 or declines more rapidly than expected in mid-gestation.

I would speak to you repro vet, most will use a weekly progesterone injection to maintain the prog level, fortunately it is safe to adminster this without constant prog readings providing you terminate progesterone supplementation outside of a week before whelping.

Hi Hazz

my girl's prog is 44 @ 5 weeks

According to my vet, the prog level "should be well over 100" at this stage.

she lost her litter (same sire) before at 6/7 weeks, so I think the process was/is preparing itself to reoccur again.

To other sires she has carried pregnancies no problem.

She has started on prog supplements, I will find out if they have worked and if the puppies are still there tomorrow. I hope so, they can't have gone too far since Friday! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Lili. My girl had the same issues and has lost 2 litters to the same sire - go figure?? She lost the first litter at 8 weeks and the latest one started at 7 weeks and continued until she whelped at 8 weeks. I wish I had been more adament that one shot was not going to be enough :thumbsup: Very traumatic for her and I.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Lili. My girl had the same issues and has lost 2 litters to the same sire - go figure?? She lost the first litter at 8 weeks and the latest one started at 7 weeks and continued until she whelped at 8 weeks. I wish I had been more adament that one shot was not going to be enough :( Very traumatic for her and I.

So sorry to hear Jag - to lose puppies that late in pregnancy is very hard :mad

At what week did she receive the injection? Were prog levels monitored afterwards?

Did your girl have a normal pregnancy to another sire?

We're supplementing with progesterone tablets (apparently they are safer than prog injections ???)

despite the possibility that a 'low prog' during pregnancy could be normal for this bitch,

but given the puppies to the same import semen were lost last breeding attempt (6/7 weeks), I feel I have to go with prog supplementation this time around.

While on the supplements, prog levels are being monitored every three days and an u/s once a week.

I dont mind the weekly u/s, puts a worrier like me at ease to see the little bubs moving about heart beating etc all okay.

Edited by lilli

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Lili. My girl had the same issues and has lost 2 litters to the same sire - go figure?? She lost the first litter at 8 weeks and the latest one started at 7 weeks and continued until she whelped at 8 weeks. I wish I had been more adament that one shot was not going to be enough :rofl: Very traumatic for her and I.

So sorry to hear Jag - to lose puppies that late in pregnancy is very hard :D

At what week did she receive the injection? Were prog levels monitored afterwards?

Did your girl have a normal pregnancy to another sire?

We're supplementing with progesterone tablets (apparently they are safer than prog injections ???)

despite the possibility that a 'low prog' during pregnancy could be normal for this bitch,

but given the puppies to the same import semen were lost last breeding attempt (6/7 weeks), I feel I have to go with prog supplementation this time around.

While on the supplements, prog levels are being monitored every three days and an u/s once a week.

I dont mind the weekly u/s, puts a worrier like me at ease to see the little bubs moving about heart beating etc all okay.

She had the injection after she lost the first pup just after 7 weeks. Up until then everything was going along nicely - no problems. I didn't even suspect that anything would go wrong this time around as I thought the first time was just one fo those unfortunate things. No my vet said the shot would hold her until delievery time :cry: He isn't a repo vet and was loath to give it in the first place.... She has only had the two matings to the one dog so I have no idea if she would carry to another sire. I am a bit scared to mate her again as it is so heart breaking for her and me. I think she believes it is normal to have a puppy and mum to take it away from her :rofl:

If I had known what I know now back then I would have been more forceful with what I watned or taken her to the repo vets an hour away. Oh hind sight - what a wonderful thing.

Best wishes for your girl. I hope she goes to term and we all get to share the next part of the journey - Littlies growing up :D

Hope things continue on well Lilli

Thanks BB

@ 6.5 weeks all looks good :laugh:

Dont think I can get to Cohuna though...

can't find an Anatolian nurse / dog sitter

Edited by lilli