Sydney Rescue Agency

RufDiamonz

Animal Adoption Agency in Sydney

this might get some more replies here i hope...

Hi

Has anyone ever delt with these people before? I have a problem, a young couple has come to me about a dog they have brought off these people as a purebred amstaff! Now he has informed them that because it has the microchip papers as an amstaff it IS an amstaff and they dont need papers.... They have rescused this lovely 2.5 yr old desexed amstaff bitch and took it to penrith obedience club where they were promtly told they could not be helped with her as she is a pitbull and they have nothing to prove otherwise and were told a scray story about pitbulls, then the fines etc, the regulations of owning a danderous bredd etc and were terrified.... they have contacted us for help to try and prove parentage as the last thing they want to do is surrender her but they feel they have no choice and are extremely upset.

Well i rang the agency who spun me some crock about they only need microchip papers, they were losing customers as i was keeping him on the ph and i knew nothing a dna test can prove the difference.... i told him my husband was in the RSPCA and im quite aware of the laws. He used to work in Transport and to transport a dog to NZ they had to do a dna test to prove they werent a pitbul??????

I am very stuck here, i dont know what to do for the owners, and i dont want to see this continue with this agency, i love that the dogs are being rescued but the owners are trying to do the right things and seem to be getting ripped off..

Help please!

the dog does need papers, otherwise the owners can keep the dog as is but will make it very hard to fly the dog overseas,

If i was the owners i would keep the dog no matter what, who cares if people thinks its an APBT, very similar breeds anyway.

APBTs and ASTs are the same breed. If the RSPCA want to seize the dog they should go to the media or better still video and place on Youtube and expose the farce which is BSL. Either way a temperment test for a cross could be arranged in NSW I thought. No DNA test or measurements can tell the breed of a dog. I'm appalled the obedience club wouldn't let them join. They do the right thing and this is their reward. BSL isn't about controlling dogs, it's about controlling people through their dogs.

APBTs and ASTs are the same breed. If the RSPCA want to seize the dog they should go to the media or better still video and place on Youtube and expose the farce which is BSL. Either way a temperment test for a cross could be arranged in NSW I thought. No DNA test or measurements can tell the breed of a dog. I'm appalled the obedience club wouldn't let them join. They do the right thing and this is their reward. BSL isn't about controlling dogs, it's about controlling people through their dogs.

APBTS are a restricted breed which must be muzzled in public. Add insurance/liability issues and you might have more sympathy for their position.

APBTs and ASTs are NOT the same breed in the eyes of the law. Of course if you have no papers to prove your dog is an AST, you're in a world of hurt.

I'd suggest these people talk to their council and arrange a temperament test.

APBTS are a restricted breed which must be muzzled in public. Add insurance/liability issues and you might have more sympathy for their position.

APBTs and ASTs are NOT the same breed in the eyes of the law. Of course if you have no papers to prove your dog is an AST, you're in a world of hurt.

You can't go straight to TT in NSW, you must first have the NOI and have passed breed ID for the TT to be considered valid under the act and by council.

You can't go straight to TT in NSW, you must first have the NOI and have passed breed ID for the TT to be considered valid under the act and by council.

Who knows - if the dog is chipped as AST, the council might be happy with that. What would be useful to trace back through the "rescue" is the history of the dog. Getting in touch with former owners might help.

OT Ive never heard about dna testing dogs going to NZ before, I know a stat dec is needed stating to the best of your belief the dog is not of that breed. + some sort of certificate from a vet.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Prohi...rts/default.htm

Good luck with getting this dog sorted out, all you can do is wait for the NOI and pass any assesments I think.

Edited by GeckoTree

They don't have to do anything unless council decides to take any action. I would get as much info as I could about the dog, a stat dec from the "rescue" ( use that word loosely) stating what they thought the dog was when they took it in and placed it. Then sit back and wait.

If you need a piece of paper to tell the difference, that says it all.

If everything hinges on a piece of paper, it's not difficult to arrange an adequate piece of paper. We are only dealing with box tickers anyway :grouphug:

If everything hinges on a piece of paper, it's not difficult to arrange an adequate piece of paper. We are only dealing with box tickers anyway :)

You got that right, that's all they are box tickers. :laugh:

Edited by tybrax

• 3 weeks later...
Animal Adoption Agency in Sydney

this might get some more replies here i hope...

Has anyone ever delt with these people before? I have a problem, a young couple has come to me about a dog they have brought off these people as a purebred amstaff! Now he has informed them that because it has the microchip papers as an amstaff it IS an amstaff and they dont need papers.... They have rescused this lovely 2.5 yr old desexed amstaff bitch and took it to penrith obedience club where they were promtly told they could not be helped with her as she is a pitbull and they have nothing to prove otherwise and were told a scray story about pitbulls, then the fines etc, the regulations of owning a danderous bredd etc and were terrified.... they have contacted us for help to try and prove parentage as the last thing they want to do is surrender her but they feel they have no choice and are extremely upset.

Well i rang the agency who spun me some crock about they only need microchip papers, they were losing customers as i was keeping him on the ph and i knew nothing a dna test can prove the difference.... i told him my husband was in the RSPCA and im quite aware of the laws. He used to work in Transport and to transport a dog to NZ they had to do a dna test to prove they werent a pitbul??????

I am very stuck here, i dont know what to do for the owners, and i dont want to see this continue with this agency, i love that the dogs are being rescued but the owners are trying to do the right things and seem to be getting ripped off..

Help please!

Couple of things - i have only had limited experience with AAA - they were holding a rescue akita bitch there a long while ago but are a no kill shelter. she was eventualkly rehomed but i was in fairly regular contact with a few people regarding her welfare.

How long have these people had the dog? its pretty rare to get papers with a rescue dog. If they know shes definately purebred, they could try looking up her date of birth on the Dogs database - assuming she was registered they may be able to contact the breeder and get more info.

Have they tried any other clubs? every club is different and has their own rules... another may let them join no problem.

APBT and ASBT are not the same thing.

but yes its appalling the club wouldnt let them join, however i have had clubs reluctantly let me join with a well behaved entire purebred akita so it doesnt really shock me that they were declined.

i have also been told if i join a certain club in my area i cannot use a prong collar - and since my dog isnt food motivated i went elsewhere. They were only interested in competing with labs and collies...and not with helping people train their dogs even if it was to the same end.