Revolution

I hope I am not out of line reposting this, but I posted in the cat chat and I realise some can't see that part of the section, and to me this is important. I'd like people to see these photos because it's definitely going to make me think twice about using this product!

I have been using Revolution flea prevention on my cats for years, and am shocked to have found that this month my beautiful cat Summer has recieved burns from the application of Revolution! I've used it without a problem for many years and whether it's just a bad batch, I have no idea, but I wanted to post a few photos so people are aware of what can happen with this product! I work in a vet clinic and I have heard about cases in the past, but have never had it happen to me, and my poor cat is in terrible pain!

My beautiful Summer.

summer.jpg

24 hours after Revolution application. Yellow and sticky.

summer1.jpg

summer2.jpg

summer3.jpg

72 hours after application.

summer4.jpg

summer6.jpg

summer5.jpg

Your poor cat, I hope the healing process doesn't take too long. From what I understand, Revolution has caused many problems in the USA. and a lot of the dog people have stopped using it for this reason. I just can't recall just what was occurring, but if my memory serves me correctly, some animals were dieing. My own vet tried to have me on this product, but because I knew of problems I refused and have my boys on Sentinal Spectrum which takes care of fleas and worms.

i use revolution as well , found it to be the only product that works on one of my dogs , never had this promblem .

do u think she had a reaction to it ? like us humans we getallergic to medactions so can animals , i wouldnt personally use that prouduct again as to me it looks like a big reaction poor baby

I'm sure you've already done this, but I would definitely be calling and asking the company about it. My work sells Revolution (and so did my old one) and I have never spoken to anyone who's pet has had a reaction. Poor little darling, it looks AWFUL :laugh: One of my dogs (Tucker) gets reactions to any sort of flea/worm treatment, but nothing as bad as that, thank God.

PS: she's very pretty. :laugh: And I love her collar!

personally after veiwing your pics. could it be that the product has been applied too low i.e. its supposed to be on the neck from what I can see here the cat could lick this area and cause this problem it wouldn't be impossible ????

after having seen this type of wound many times this may be the cause that has eluded us. Thankyou.

Had a dog 3 yrs ago have a similar reaction-they use something else now instead.Wouldnt matter if it was high on neck or between shoulder blades-shouldnt cause a reaction like that.

Edited by centitout

personally after veiwing your pics. could it be that the product has been applied too low i.e. its supposed to be on the neck from what I can see here the cat could lick this area and cause this problem it wouldn't be impossible ????

after having seen this type of wound many times this may be the cause that has eluded us. Thankyou.

I don't believe so. I apply it lower because otherwise it rubs on her collar, and have always done so without it being an issue. She definitely wasn't licking it because I put it on before hopping into bed and spending the next few hours reading with her next to me. The vets and product reps regularly recommend splitting the tubes and putting some at the base of the tail on larger animals as well, so I can't imagine the placement should be a problem?

The vets and product reps regularly recommend splitting the tubes and putting some at the base of the tail on larger animals as well, so I can't imagine the placement should be a problem?

I wouldn't think placement would make a difference to the chemical burning or not burning, either.

But I would be concerned about placing it anywhere the animal could lick it off and ingest it.

Mind you, I'm concerned about the general over-use of this stuff anyway, no matter what brand. Not suggesting "over-use" (read : unneccessary use) in your case, Carrie - just speaking generally.

I used to use Revolution on my avatar girl (now :cool: bless her cotton socks) and whilst it never left any visible scoring on her, she did start to baulk at it being put on. Back then I could never understand why, but in more recent times and with more knowledge on my side, I recognise that it was probably because it caused her discomfort. She was such an honest dog - I feel guilty for the times I didn't listen to her more closely.

I hope your cat is ok.

Edited by Erny

What has happened to your cat is awful! I hope she feels better quickly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best spot on to use for rabbit fleas on a farm cat? I "inherited" next door's farm cat when the elderly couple who lived there had to move. Last winter she killed an average of three rabbits a week but she gets raised lumps on her ears from the rabbit fleas, they itch and she scratches them raw and bleeding. I treated her with a supermarket spot on that I now know wasn't strong enough and also used Capstar to kill the adults.

She heals over in summer, partly because the heat kills off a lot of the fleas but mainly because she doesn't hunt rabbits in the heat. I've just got her looking good and she is back to hunting again as the weather has cooled down.

I am nervous about using a spot on - perhaps I should just stick with Capstar? I would be using it everytime she hunts so up to 3 times a week - does anyone know if that is OK?

I think we have already had something released for the rabbits this season - a few months ago a lot of the older ones died. None of the viruses they release ever do much more than kill a few to most of the older ones, the young rabbits always seem unaffected and I really didn't notice much impact on rabbit numbers this time.

My cat won't eat the sick rabbits but as the younger ones seem unaffected it doesn't do much to stop her.