New Puppy - Older Dog Frothing & Drooling?!

Sharna3

Really hoping someone is online who can give me their advice;

We bought our new pup home tonight and introduced him to our 5yo Sibe Bitch, who promptly started drooling all over him! and she had a bit of froth at the very front of her mouth too. Is this normal or has my girl picked up something today that I should be worried about??? I am out back with her now and she has a tiny amount of drool on her chin but nothing like when she is around the pup.

Help :cry:

Edited by Missin Bastian..

Sorry don't have a reason why but when we introduced our pup to our 2 year old dog, the older ones nose starting dripping like a tap! This was many years ago.

Thank you Harley - maybe its just a natural animal reaction then? Will keep an eye on her..

(on another note - what a coincidence, the pup we bought home tonight, is named Harley!!)

My mutt Brembo did this when we brought Sierra home as an 8 week old pup.

We worked out it was a panic attack (sad but true). After an hour or 2 he was fine and got over it.

She'll be fine :thumbsup:

thank you :laugh: appreciate it!

she's stressed, the new addition is a bit much for her obviously :thumbsup: she should be fine if you introduce them slowly

Hey Nekhbet,

Thank you; at the moment we are letting Jazz in around the puppy in limited doses - but trying to keep her calm (she just wants to play with him), but letting her sniff him and lay nose-to-nose with him. We are also trying to spend time just with Jazz so she still feels special (play and walks).

Do you have any other suggestions for how we should be treating Jazz (our older dog) or their interactions??

Cheers,

Sharna

My German Shephard was 11 when I brought home a new puppy and she stalked her and drooled all over her for about 2 weeks. She eventually got over it and it wasn't an aggressive thing, she just didn't know what to do I think. They'll be fine.

My German Shephard was 11 when I brought home a new puppy and she stalked her and drooled all over her for about 2 weeks. She eventually got over it and it wasn't an aggressive thing, she just didn't know what to do I think. They'll be fine.

Thank you - yeh it seems a lot better already, it just weirded us out!

same rules for everyone is always the key. Some dogs not used to sharing or change can be a little anxious so make sure the pup is not simply getting free reign. I keep my new pups/dog separate from the existing dogs for at least a week or two (limited, supervised interaction is OK) and then start short stints together. This way 1) pup bonds to me much much more then the other dog and 2) all interactions in the transition period go smoothly and they learn from the start neither is a big deal.

I would start taking them on lead together, even doing some basic obedience for food together. The pup will also learn from your sibe.

Play is OK, natural and a way for them to form boundries with each other and learn body language. If there is a huge size difference between them (ie small breed puppy) then I would have the sibe on lead (that does not mean tethered) so you can control interaction and she doesnt accidentally squish the pup. But as always if someone gets too boistrous break it up, time out for a bit until they're calm and then play again.

Edited by Nekhbet